Wiikey with D2C chipset?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by esotericsean, Jan 1, 2008.

Jan 1, 2008

Wiikey with D2C chipset? by esotericsean at 7:11 PM (2,018 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. esotericsean
    OP

Newcomer esotericsean Newbie

United States
    So, I was just about to order a Wiikey for the Wii I just got for Christmas. I researched and found a good online reseller, looked at the installation instructions and saw how easy it was going to be, but then... I read that the Wiikey is for D2B chipsets!

I frantically run to my living room and yank out the cords of my Wii. I grab the nearest pen and paper (a paper plate and a sharpie) and copy down my serial number. Back at my computer, I enter it in a Wii serial number checker. Noooo! My new Wii has a G2C chipset!

. . .

What am I going to do, guys? Am I really going to have to solder 28 wires and pay $61.50 + shipping and handling for a D2CKey?

[​IMG]

2. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    you could for the infectus solution, though i don't know how proven that is - d2c key is 18 wires, and it's probably one of only two/three options you have to install in your wii.

3. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yes , you have to use a D2CKEY , if you want to chip now. Another chip is coming called argon which is only 13 wires , but it doesn't have a proven track record like D2CKEY does.

4. esotericsean
    OP

United States
    Man, the D2C sounds like ten times scarier to install than the Wiikey. Have any of you installed one? I've soldered things before and stuff, but those are some really small wires you have to connect it to.

Thanks for the help, guys [​IMG]

5. Edwii

Member Edwii GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  6. esotericsean
    OP

United States
    I think that that looks very useful, thanks!

Take a look at this (how intimidating is that?

[​IMG]

7. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom

It's nothing like the wlip. Wlip =no solder clip that clips onto the DMS/D2* chip. Flexpcb , lays around the edge of the d2c and then you have to solder the connections. They are nothing like each other.

8. mekaone

Newcomer mekaone Advanced Member

United States
    I contacted the fine people at Wlip and they have posted that they are going to have a list of resellers by the 21st of this month where you can purchase the Wlip. Hope they hold to that date. Anyhow from what the web site reports is that they are going to have two versions. Version A is for the non cut legs on the chip and version B for the cut legs on the chip. (I think.) Anyhow in my email they told me they were working on a C version for down the road to work with the new chips (D2C). I not sure but I dont think it is going to be out any time soon. They seem to be a bit slow. They keep on pushing the date back for the version A & B but I hope that means that they are putting more R&D in to them so we have a better product that may stay clipped on and keep good contact. I think the Wlip is a very good Idea and I am going to order mine when it comes out. I lifted two pads when my solder job got botched. The drive works but I am not even going to try to solder on to the legs on the chip. It is such a small leg that with my luck I'll solder two legs together or pop the chip with to much heat. I'm good at soldering but not that good :-) I'll take the easy way out before I do any more damage.
    Happy New Year all.

9. ben_r_

Member ben_r_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes it sucks no doubt about it. And to be honest, I think if I had to do it again (or if I have any problems) I would not use the flexpcb and just done wires. Easier to test each link and easier to repair and one less thing to go wrong or melt.

10. esotericsean
    OP

United States
    That's what my dad said, wires are easier.

Anyone have any tips before I start? I'll use my low heat iron with the smallest tip. Does the D2CKey come with special wires or is that up to me to find? What about special types of solder?

Looking at a video of a guy using a flexpcb, that does look pretty easy, though.