Wiikey U preorders will open soon!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To be fair, both the PSP and the PS3 have a pretty rich homebrew collection - I used a lot of media players on my PSP back in the day, that and the enhanced web browser, a WiFi sniffer and a few other things. Can't say much for the 360 as I don't have one.

Homebrew for 360 is limited to Gentoo via XeLL, N64 emu via XeLL, MPlayer via XeLL, the standart Ninty/Sega and PS1 emu, along with a recent port of PPSSPP.
That and your typical Quake ports and Super mario War.

Homebrew on the 360 is almost non existant (some system tools are there like NAND flashers and a config editor)

It's a shame really, seeing how much the Wii and PSP and DS have.
Then again, Homebrewing your 360 would mean losing connection to XBLive so only dedicated homebrewers would JTAG it.
Apart from the COD scum kids that used their JTAG to host modified COD lobbies and cheat their way to whatever billionth prestige and what not.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Homebrew for 360 is limited to Gentoo via XeLL, N64 emu via XeLL, MPlayer via XeLL, the standart Ninty/Sega and PS1 emu, along with a recent port of PPSSPP.

Homebrew on the 360 is almost non existant (some system tools are there like NAND flashers and a config editor)

Then again, Homebrewing your 360 would mean losing connection to XBLive so only dedicated homebrewers would JTAG it.
Apart from the COD scum kids that used their JTAG to host modified COD lobbies and cheat their way to whatever billionth prestige and what not.
I always thought that the 360 lacks in homebrew simply because modding one was always a giant hassle. These days we have RGH, but before that things were usually pricey and messy. With the PSP and the PS3 you at least had custom firmware that didn't require you to jump through hoops, with the 360 you always needed a friendly soldering iron to get anywhere... and sometimes also a drill.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

its like school... but I learn stuff that is cool and will be useful to me.

<3 Dinoh

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A solder-free ODE for the Wii U? If this gets real - R.I.P... Nintendo... your security always sucked.

On the other side: An (maybe expensive) ODE for just a few Nintendo-Only Titles? The only thing that (maybe) could save Nintendo is, if they are able to block online-play. The online feature is very important for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bro Brawl.

dario14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are pre-ordering this for "homebrew".. yeah right. lol

When PSP got hacked what was the "homebrew" for? Playing backups.
When 360/PS3 got hacked what was the "homebrew" for? Playing backups.

If you're going to be playing pirated copies at least have the decency to be honest about it.

Some homebrew I'd like to see for WiiU:

1. Media player

2. Emulators that take advantage of the WiiU's processing power (instead of being limited to what's available in Wii mode). Hires textures for n64 games would be possible like they are on PC emulators. Increased compatibility and WiiU pro controller support.

3. Nintendont for WiiU, with WiiU gamepad and pro controller support. Also perhaps hires textures for GameCube games.

4. The ability to play backups of WiiU games I own.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I always thought that the 360 lacks in homebrew simply because modding one was always a giant hassle. These days we have RGH, but before that things were usually pricey and messy. With the PSP and the PS3 you at least had custom firmware that didn't require you to jump through hoops, with the 360 you always needed a friendly soldering iron to get anywhere... and sometimes also a drill.

JTAG is a few diodes and wires.
It really is simple as fuck ;p
And can be done for less then 5 quid.

RGH has the option to be turned off, which means you can use a Dual NAND chip like the Cyngos/DemoN to still connect to Live.
Something which isn't possible with JTAG consoles (updating the 2nd NAND would burn the fuses and disable the JTAG)
It's more pricey as you need a Xillinx chip to regulate the reset pulse and monitor the boot of the console etc.

PSP and PS3 don't got anti-downgrade protection (hardware ones)
Nor are they secure from a software point of view (360's hashed RAM, unique CPU key encryption and what not)
PSP having the IPL check loader thingamajigy (Jigkick battery and Magic memory stick) and PS3 had a Hypervisor that doesn't work (26c3 anyone?)

Humm, Idk what you're planning... but if you get a drill near a console, I'd seriously reconsider your modding skills Fox, I REALLY would reconsider them ;p
All you need for the 360 is a soldering iron, a few wires and diodes/glitch chip and a TX 10 and TX 15 screw driver.
As well as a small flathead one to pop the casing.

Personally, I prefer hardware mods.
They can't be accidentally disabled and you could always flash back the NAND/NOR if you accidentally brick it.
Then again, Softmods win it from hardware mods purely out of ease and the fact that you almost got no hardware needed at all (with the disadvantage that noobs will screw it up despite having a idiot proof guide)
As for piracy related goals, ODDE's are the future.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think people greatly exaggerate the presence/impact of homebrew. It's a niche buried within a niche.

I'm not saying it'll never happen, but some lowered expectations wouldn't hurt.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Kamikaze Hack. ;)

Disgusting pirate >:c
Have you no shame!

Aye you're right, it's the only hack that requires a drill to me knowledge in all of the consoles.
Then again, you can just dump the firmware of those PCB's and get a replacement PCB from TX which got a hardware lock switch.
Allowing you to upgrade at any moment.
(pretty moot now seeing LT 3.0 is 2+ years old and C4Eva seems to have died + dash updates that seem to do nothing but increasing the version number)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Disgusting pirate >:c
Have you no shame!

Aye you're right, it's the only hack that requires a drill to me knowledge in all of the consoles.
Then again, you can just dump the firmware of those PCB's and get a replacement PCB from TX which got a hardware lock switch.
Allowing you to upgrade at any moment.
(pretty moot now seeing LT 3.0 is 2+ years old and C4Eva seems to have died + dash updates that seem to do nothing but increasing the version number)
Silly Dinoh, I don't have a 360! I'm merely saying that... it's this one system in existence that had a hack involving a drill... for some reason. :rofl2:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Silly Dinoh, I don't have a 360! I'm merely saying that... it's this one system in existence that had a hack involving a drill... for some reason. :rofl2:

Only specific drives of the Slims have it ;]
Congratz on your 16k posts!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Some homebrew I'd like to see for WiiU:

1. Media player

2. Emulators that take advantage of the WiiU's processing power (instead of being limited to what's available in Wii mode). Hires textures for n64 games would be possible like they are on PC emulators. Increased compatibility and WiiU pro controller support.

3. Nintendont for WiiU, with WiiU gamepad and pro controller support. Also perhaps hires textures for GameCube games.

4. The ability to play backups of WiiU games I own.

I agree with points 2, 3 and 4 but 1? Why?

HDTVs nowadays are able to play video, music and picture files so it makes pointless using consoles for such features as it's just a waste of energy that could be saved by plugging the USB to the TV.

It'd be cool if FLAC could be playable on whatever Wii U media player, though.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

HDTVs nowadays are able to play video, music and picture files so it makes pointless using consoles for such features as it's just a waste of energy that could be saved by plugging the USB to the TV.

I cba to stand up and plug a USB drive in the back of me telly (hell I dun even got a HD telly to begin with)
So a Mediaplayer on the Wii U would be a welcomed thing, seeing I can control it from the gamepad or even watch it on the gamepad.
Not to mention that telly's dun support all media extensions (atleast I think they dun support all)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I agree with points 2, 3 and 4 but 1? Why? HDTVs nowadays are able to play video, music and picture files so it makes pointless using consoles for such features as it's just a waste of energy that could be saved by plugging the USB to the TV. It'd be cool if FLAC could be playable on whatever Wii U media player, though.
Not everyone has a Smart TV, not to mention that a console is infinitely beefier than a Smart TV. A homebrew media player can be coded to support playback of just about anything at any quality as long as there's enough CPU juice available.

Reactions: dario14

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country

My does not. Also I do not have tablet. My PS3 has DLNA support though.

Not everyone has a Smart TV, not to mention that a console is infinitely beefier than a Smart TV. A homebrew media player can be coded to support playback of just about anything at any quality as long as there's enough CPU juice available.
If Wii U does not have a dedicated h264 decoder, playing HD h264 files won't be possible on CPU.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I cba to stand up and plug a USB drive in the back of me telly (hell I dun even got a HD telly to begin with)
So a Mediaplayer on the Wii U would be a welcomed thing, seeing I can control it from the gamepad or even watch it on the gamepad.
Not to mention that telly's dun support all media extensions (atleast I think they dun support all)

Buy a cheap USB cable with ports and then plug in your USBs there, which is what I've done.

I'll just toss this in: The Wii U has the potential to become a decent Blu-ray player. It's just not enabled, although if one is to reverse-engineer the system a bit, they could unlock the ability to play Blu-ray and DVD discs.

It'd be cool if Wii U could play "normal" Blu-rays but I kinda gave up on that 'cause I already have two Blu-ray Players but more is always better.

My TV wasn't one of those but then after changing the settings on it, it became able to play video/music files too not just picture files as it'd originally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there