Hardware Wiikey quicksolder

corbs132

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone post a few pics of the wiikey aligned on the mobo un-soldered, soldered, and size comparison to the points somehow? would really appreciate it.

corbs132

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, just looked at the points. (opened wii today, still not chip yet)
they are SMALL. any pics on how somebody pulled this off?

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First put solder on all the installation points, then align the chip and tape it down.
Now solder the 2 big holes and remove the tape.
Use good light and solder the remaining 4 smaller points, and done:

lenselijer-wiikey.jpg

quicksolder.jpg

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
got them both from eurasia, so no clones
biggrin.gif

never came close to bridging, but i have a 15w soldering iron with a fine tip. (and some soldering experience)

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I'm wondering what are the advantages of either going quicksoldering or using wires?

My Wiikey is coming in tomorrow, so I guess I have to make a choice. I'm assuming that the wires make it easier to remove the wiikey in case it's needed, but If thats done what happens to the wiikey does it just dangle around inside?

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
for me this is a quick and easy install. the chip is rock steady, it will never come loose because its held in place by the 2 big points.
also there is the best possible connection because the chip is on top of the solder points. closer isnt possible.
and removing will not be hard either if you have desoldered before.

jtom617

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah the chip is light so it will definately not come off, i did a external mount with 28guage wire, so it was a easy job. 28 guage is PERFECT for this job because the points are somewhat close together. i would highly recommend doing this to your wii! rock on!

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I attempted the 'quick solder' today & lemme tell ya, I have 3 & a half years soldering experience & lenselijer makes this sound easy (God bless him). He must be REALLY good.

I had to get copper braid to de-solder the damn thing. It doesn't look like there's any damage to the chip or the board on the drive. I'm getting some 30 guage wire & doing the wired method. It seems easier. I'll either tape the chip in an unused section of the drive or use a DAB of Crazy Glue to hold it in place on some bare plastic out of the way somewhere.

What a bitch it is trying to get the solder to bend over to the LITTLE solder pads on the drive's board. It's no easy task.

When I saw lenselijer's pictures I told a buddy of mine that it looked like a hack job (due to my soldering experience). I just want to say a huge SORRY for making that assumption & YOU DID A GREAT job if you got this quick solder to work!

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine today (actually yesterday according to the time now) and when I looked at that chip I immediately knew I was screwed. I looked around for pictures and found a wired example, I felt the wired method was easier.

It was my first time soldering, and it was a complete success, even if it took me a few hours to do it. :/

Guess I shouldn't complain, the new Wii motherboard apparently makes it even harder for modchips, even know all current modchips are rendered worthless with it.

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine today (actually yesterday according to the time now) and when I looked at that chip I immediately knew I was screwed. I looked around for pictures and found a wired example, I felt the wired method was easier.

It was my first time soldering, and it was a complete success, even if it took me a few hours to do it. :/

Guess I shouldn't complain, the new Wii motherboard apparently makes it even harder for modchips, even know all current modchips are rendered worthless with it.

You suck!
cry.gif
j/k
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That's cool, lots of cool games available for PS3. Game on! +1