Wiikey not working after softmod

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by huni, Jan 24, 2010.

Jan 24, 2010

Wiikey not working after softmod by huni at 1:29 PM (1,265 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. huni
    OP

Newcomer huni Newbie

Canada
    Hi,

I have a first gen wii with a wiikey 1 installed from day one and it has always been working very well. Until recently, I was booting all my backup games directly from the disc channel.

In the last weeks, I decided to play aroud with the homebrew and softmod stuff and I ended up with USB Loader GX installed and a lot of games on a usb harddisk. All is good and it works great, but I just noticed that it somehow desactivated my wiikey. I mean, I can no longer put an a backup disc (that was working before) and launch it directly from the disc channel. It says it doesnt recognize the disc. I can launch my backups using Neo gamma loader, but it doesnt work directly like before.

Is it normal? What can I do to make my wiikey work again? Is it because of some ios stuff I installed for the softmod or something?

Thanks!

2. vegemikee

Member vegemikee GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    check your priiloader hacks.
    they might be affect disc loading behaviour

3. The Pink Gato

Member The Pink Gato GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There is a current bug with Priiloader 0.3b and a modchip, and it will freeze while loading or won't read the discs.

Solution: Delete Priiloader and use Bootmii as boot2 for protection, or go to the original preloader.

~modmystuff~

Edit: Read this: Link

4. huni
    OP

Newcomer huni Newbie

Canada
    hi,

sorry for being a little newbie here, but I don't really know what a preloader is. I did install bootmii as boot2, but I didnt install any preloader, so I dont think this is my problem. Or can it be it without me knowing?

5. The Pink Gato

Member The Pink Gato GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Preloader is a menu the boots up before the Wii System Menu does for brick protection. Did you follow a softmod guide?

You should always follow this guide here: xzxero's guide

Does anything show up before the health screen does?

~modmystuff~

EDIT: Follow the Modify 4.2 - Enable System Menu Hacks section in the spoiler if you didn't install Priiloader.

6. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was out of the scene for quite some time, had a wiikey i bought and installed back when SSBB came out, and recently jumped back into the whole deal...if you already have homebrew channel, just install cios, bootmii (boot2, then backup your wii [​IMG]) I had installed preloader at one point but it caused nothing but problems, I cant recall the program i had to use to get rid of it....regardless...After that, was able to do anything I wanted...at this point I'm just acting like the wiikey isnt in there [​IMG]

Since then, I've tried to run SMB backup, but got tons of random DREs, flash drive solved that, and I probably wont burn any more discs for wii...using a usb drive is a lot easier, less time consuming, and the games seem to load faster [​IMG]

7. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    your problem might be from out of region games. Did you update to system menu 4.2? If you did then you have 2 choices:

1) Install priiloader(or preloader... I was unaware of the disc reading problem but I may very well have it myself [​IMG] ) and use the new region free hack for it.

2) Use DoP-IOS to instrall a non-stubbed IOS60 then install System menu 4.1.

EDIT: Just read about the priiloader problem and I don't have that problem. It seems that .3 r47 and up had that problem so any older version should be just fine.

8. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    maybe a long time ago...recent releases are really good. even the OP imo requires priiloader hacks to allow region free wii games in his current situation.