Wiikey News Tidbits

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
No flaming guys ^^

Freedom probably isn't the most appropriate word. but i understand what you mean. However it is his choice if he doesn't want to make all his work public, and i know some of his work is anyway, so he does still make a valuable contribution to our community.

I must admit, the sticker is funny, but i suppose it's usedul in identifying real wiikeys. Holographic stickers are much harder to copy i believe.

I remember the corner holographic sticker on yugioh cards was the best way to identify a fake ^^

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
deufeufeu:
You need to understand how programmers and private sectors work
while alot of linux youth fill the net with "lets make everything opensource"
Its not how it works in the real world, you spend money on a education and u wish to get it back

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
i'm surprised emu_kidid is goin down this route after all the shit that happened when he tried this sort of thing with the ninjagc chip makers a couple of yrs ago
just hope history dont repeat itself

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
lol jono_ xD Family guy reference ftw

Anyway, i'm all for stickers, and cant wait for the update... once the update hits the web i'm gonna buy a wiikey
biggrin.gif

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
pikachu is one ugly abomination...

back on topic:
I wonder if I can e-mail ModChipStore and see about getting a sticker, it's only been about 3 weeks...

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting news that the Wii does have a DL drive after all. I guess that might mean bigger Wii game releases in future, if Nintendo allow developers.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Like I said earlier, Wiikey are wrong if they think these features will be exclusive to thier chip. Give it a few days/weeks after the update and all the other chips will be having the same features....Remember when wiikey came out with the region free stuff....every other chip had that too.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like I said earlier, Wiikey are wrong if they think these features will be exclusive to thier chip. Give it a few days/weeks after the update and all the other chips will be having the same features....Remember when wiikey came out with the region free stuff....every other chip had that too.

Well the regionfree stuff was like open source.. Though I'm sure it won't stop anyone from copying like what's going on in the DS flashcart scene..

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Like I said earlier, Wiikey are wrong if they think these features will be exclusive to their chip. Give it a few days/weeks after the update and all the other chips will be having the same features....Remember when wiikey came out with the region free stuff....every other chip had that too.

Of course they know that, again like I said all the communication is done over a simple serial port, it wouldn't take much for anyone technically inclined enough to sniff the communications between it and the wii to see what it's doing.

However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

* The people looking for a modchip *right now* will be inclined to check out the wiikey.
* no use to the people who have a non-upgradeable chip (of course the devs will naturally release a new product)

It's not a matter of other chips having the feature eventually, it's about having it first. There is no telling how long before it will come up on other chips, However I assure you that they are working on it right now.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Geez, a lot of bullshit in this thread.

Anyhow, I bought a real WiiKey (two actually). How do I go about getting my sticker? If I don't get one then SCREW WiiKey!

I know it doesn't mean anything really, but its only fair.

And I do agree that it does feel like more smoke but luckily... I'm pretty happy with what the WiiKey does already anyhow.

7llusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Is this a hate thread?
I thought that all of you thought the Wiikey was the best Wii mod-chip, but no, this thread just makes people think that the Wiikey is a bad mod-chip...
Also, what if the Wiikey team have made the DVD9 support and just emailed Emu_Kidid that he could use that feature in GCOS. What I mean is that Emu_Kidid can use the Wiikey DVD9 support, but does not have the source code(ie, using Windows API and having Windows API source code.)
Illusion

joedodgy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
..Also, what if the Wiikey team have made the DVD9 support and just emailed Emu_Kidid that he could use that feature in GCOS. What I mean is that Emu_Kidid can use the Wiikey DVD9 support, but does not have the source code(ie, using Windows API and having Windows API source code.)

*ding ding ding* we have a winner. i think you're outnumbered though
wink.gif

brakken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think including a sticker and making the update incompatible with the various clones on the market is a good way to approach the situation. I'm sure if you were in their position you'd want to address the issue too. I also don't mind waiting for an update as I understand the development process. It's not uncommon for releases (games, dvd's, cars, modchip upgrades) to miss their deadlines and take longer to create/develop. However, if they were to approach the situation as Epic does with their Unreal Tournament 3's release date (When it's done it's done) they would shut up the impatient people out there. Lastly, the Wii's specifications clearly state it supports Dual Layer (DVD9) discs. It always has.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...