Hacking Wiikey creating black dots on screen?

Fish on a Stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First off I didn't install the wiikey myself, I got it off ozmodchips and got one of their guys to install it for me, and they assure me it's not a clone. (From what I've read they're a very reliable site) Also I have a PAL Australian wii.

Ever since I got Super Mario Galaxy, PAL (legit copy, bought it) about 2 months ago and updated my firmware to 3.1 I get these black dots appearing on the screen, they're generally formed in lines going down, but during some cutscenes a lot appear on the screen. These look like dead pixels except they're not, since they disappear once in a while and they only appear when I play the wii, not when I watch tv or anything.

It bothered me for a while but I chose to ignore it, but I just updated my wiikey firmware to 1.9g and the amount of black dots increased quite a bit. I think the guy I went to might've botched the installation of the wiikey somehow.

I thought I might as well ask you guys what you think the cause of the problem is, and if there's possibly a fix.

markish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe they're called artifacts (or maybe artefacts in US English) and I have heard other people have it here. I don't know how to fix it, but you could try searching for artifacts

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
should have nothing to do with the wiikey. Its just bad luck.

The video chip in some wiis just starts messing up exactly like how you have described.

Fish on a Stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ouch, bummer. Well It's actually kind of comforting to know that it wasn't because of the wiikey, I felt like it was my fault for messing around with my wii in the first place.

Markish: Cheers mate, I'll look it up.

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

Fish on a Stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wad: Haha yeah twas unlucky, but I got it since launch and I'm pretty sure it's a 1 year warranty, so it wouldn't have mattered anyways =P

Vahnyyz: No hard feelings
wink.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While it can be graphics chip about to die it can also be as simple as an overheating chip (search for overclocking graphics cards threads).
So did your chip obstruct air flow and do you have it in a place that can keep it cool?

Fish on a Stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST: Thing is I hardly ever used my wii and had no problems with it till I booted up SMG, so I don't think it'd be due to overheating.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm keeping them in mind.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it can be graphics chip about to die it can also be as simple as an overheating chip (search for overclocking graphics cards threads).
So did your chip obstruct air flow and do you have it in a place that can keep it cool?

FAST: Thing is I hardly ever used my wii and had no problems with it till I booted up SMG, so I don't think it'd be due to overheating.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm keeping them in mind.

I think FAST6191 is on the right track with this. Even if you don't play it often, so you have Wiiconnect on? Apparently the Wifi chip overheats, and creates stress I beleive on the GPU from what I understand. I read a few times on blog sites such as Kotaku/Joystiq, that that's the case.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wad: Haha yeah twas unlucky, but I got it since launch and I'm pretty sure it's a 1 year warranty, so it wouldn't have mattered anyways =P

Vahnyyz: No hard feelings
wink.gif
AFAIK a year and a half (if you registered it online). However I think here in Holland if it is a productional error (which this is as it isn't because you mishandled your Wii) you are still entitled to warrenty (or at least something similar --> a new Wii).

tatanga

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I'm sure Nintendo will be super happy when they receive his Wii with a Wiikey soldered inside.

I'm on my second Wii (PAL) and both got this same problem. I just learn to live with it till it dies and I buy a new one (or I do).

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, this is a problem with the Wii. This is my THIRD Wii I have because the last 2 I had to return because they had the same problem.

Shinster

Trophies
XP
Country
You have a fried GPU.
This can be caused by leaving the Wii on standby mode (yellow light) for long periods of time. On standby mode the fans are not spinning but somehow the GPU is still turned on.

That's why I use a USB cooler fan for my Wii which still operate even on standby mode.

Fish on a Stick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm.. I actually had my wii unplugged the whole time I didn't play it though (Before SMG). But that would explain the recent increase in the amount of black dots, I've had it plugged in for about a month now, and yes wiiconnect was on (I thought I turned it off before I got it chipped, oh well)

Thanks for the clarifications, everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou