• Replies 68
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume it uses the internal SD card slot since the video says something about no external modifications.
Since it has a ribbon labeled DVD, it should be for playing backups on the drive too.

Not sure how it interfaces with the SD card slot though. The SD slot is hardwired to the main board, so it would have to be through software.

There is a third connector on the Fusion, but it isn't labeled, so no idea what that is for. Probably the factory flashing of the modchip.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"without any of the cumbersome external hardware needed with usb loaders or the blasted speed and storage"

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My assumption (and it is just that) is that it works by the chip feeding some software via the DVD cable to the mobo and it allows you to start a SD Card Loader type software from the disc channel (same way has the config menu on the drivekey works) and then you launch the game, I wonder if it would be possible for them to get it to support USB. Basically the software reads from the SD Card and then sends the data down the DVD data cable, so there should be no need for custom IOSes etc.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jakejm79 said:
My assumption (and it is just that) is that it works by the chip feeding some software via the DVD cable to the mobo and it allows you to start a SD Card Loader type software from the disc channel (same way has the config menu on the drivekey works) and then you launch the game, I wonder if it would be possible for them to get it to support USB. Basically the software reads from the SD Card and then sends the data down the DVD data cable, so there should be no need for custom IOSes etc.

If that's how it works, then it's epic fail. It won't work on a virgin 4.1 Wii, you need the trucha bug in one IOS to run anything else than 100% 1:1 copies of games.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way it's a really sad attempt at getting the market back. I don't think anyone, sane, imagined they'd actually 1-up a fully softmod'd wii. However, I think we were all expecting them to at least get USB loading.

I just can't imagine the modchip guys have lost any business at all to people desperately wanting to load games off SD. It's USB that's taking all their customers. Most of the sigs you see where people are hard & soft mod'd are soft'd because they want USB Loading. At least they had the business sensibility to make a little marketing video for it. However, if you weren't planning on getting a modchip already, I don't think this is going to earn them any new business.

If I was them I would've just added a gazillion adds to the site and tried to ride out the massive added traffic while I could.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
that's it that's all they got a wiikey that can load games off a sd card? might as well use a fucking usb drive! what a waste of $

IlluminiX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think those excited people on the "Buy Wiikey" page with all the distributors have any idea they are being used to promote the illegal act of backing up software from the Nintendo Wii? If so, I hope they get a nice piece of the action made from these Fusions - - 0.5% of nothing is ???.

I did enjoy that video - especially the part about how difficult it is to get Working discs to burn properly with Wiikey V1 and V2! I know with my Verbatim discs I had hundreds of coasters and no working discs - no wait that was hundreds of working discs and no coasters. And to whoever said Wiikey V1 caused a ton of problems - I don't know what you are talking about... If it is installed right - it can and should still be going strong like mine is! I just happen to prefer loading backups in USB Loader. But I have to give credit to Wiikey for one thing and that was their Countdown idea - since it did get some of the Wii community talking again about such an antiquated subject as hardmods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.