Hacking Wiikey 1.9g update is not working...

Hermessz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Hello,
I have a Wiikey without any update on a 3.1E PAL Wii.
I tried to update to 1.9g to be able to play SMG, but it's not working, and keep saying to me that flashing test failed.
I tried burning with ImgBurn, Nero and used very high quality discs, with filechop, without filechop, it's not working,
Iv'e also tried 1.9b, and it's not working neither.
I heard I need to use something called GCOS or something like that.
Anyway, I want to play SMG so bad, so it is a little urgent.
Please help.

Hermessz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
I don't know, and I surely don't want to open the Wii.
Any clues why it's not working? I've heard people with also a genuine Wiikey, couldn't update it because it keep saying about test failed.
Another Question, in the eject trick, if I won't eject the disc and it does the real update, what will happened?

briank2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I burned 1.9g to a dvd and when i put it in my wii it says, could not be able to read disk.
How do i update and if i havn't udated to 1.9b is it possible my wii will get brokn if i update it to 1.9g?

I'm assuming you are using a ntsc smg iso?? You should use brickblocker on the iso before you burn it just to be safe - in case it tries to update from the iso...you don't want a brick.

You do not need to update to 1.9b first. 1.9g is the same as 1.9b except it also has the fix for super mario galaxy. I was able to update my wiikey from 1.2 to 1.9g with no problem. Make sure you are using the pal iso for the 1.9g update disk, and you have to use filechop to make it the right size. I used Nero to burn both smg and the 1.9g update on Verbatim at 4x. Good luck.

FYI - I have us ntsc for everything and I played the real disk first, then made a backup. When I tried to play the backup is when I got the error 001 messsege, but after updating to 1.9g all is good.

I just had a thought...I think you need the update on the smg disk in order to play the game...not sure...but brickblocker would ruin that, wouldn't it? So...either be sure you have the LATEST pal firmware before you allow you smg to update OR just wait for the real disk.

Hermessz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Woh, I use the PAL version of SMG.
I'm 100% Suer I'm using the PAL version of the update.
And I followed to a guide talking about how to use filechop on the bootdisc, but it was for NTSC, is there any difference?
And I tried also doing the update with filechop, didn't work neither.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you have a clone wiikey, or not even a wiikey at all!
you have to open your wii and check the chip, most people find a normal pic chip when they were told there was a wiikey inside.

order a genuine wiikey from eurasia.nu and you can play smg!

Hermessz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
I heard even a genuine wiikey owners had problems.
And I'll ask my question again.
In the EJECT trick, when you pull out the disc twice, once before test flashing, and second before the actuall update.
My question is, what if I won't eject the disc when it should do the actuall update?

Hermessz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
No one can answer?
frown.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
eject trick dont work, whatever you try. the test must succeed then you have a genuine wiikey. else you have or a clone, or another chip.

only thing left is open your wii to check if there's really a wiikey inside!

Qbic_101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
isnt it restart you have to press and not eject to do the update without the gamecube control (i think thats the "eject" trick you speak of) and did you update your console before trying to flash it with the 1.9, that might help, also just suck it up open the wii its not difficult and check to see what chip you have inside, becuse if you dont have a wiikey and your trying to flash it with wiikey firmware your going to brick your wii then you'll kick yourself in the ass for not checking (why dont you know what chip it is anyways). if you cant open it ask a friend. think about it how hard is it to unscrew a few screws unless you dont have the triwing screwdriver in which case bring it back to buddy that modded it for and ask him/her to open it for you and check to see if its really a wiikey, theres should be no excuse now to check, dont always assume whats in your wii is what buddy told you. hope this helped in any way

FreddeX

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just to confirm what others have been saying ...
if you get the "Test failed" message, you have to fix your chip (clone, bad chip, missing wires, whatever). There is no trick (like the eject disk), that will ever upgrade your supposed Wiikey.

I myself had a Wiikey which could not be upgraded (i.e. "Test failed"). Since I bought my Wii with it pre-installed with warranty and all ... and advertised as genuine, I only had to return it and they fixed it. To fix it (in my case), they had to replace the "chip", as it was "bad" ... that's what they said.

overflow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a similar problem. Got a geniune Wiikey. Updated to 1.9g, no problems at all. SMG loads, get intro screen, and then get the message "Error: Cannot read disk" and have to reset the Wii.

My version of SMG is NTSC on an NTSC Wii. I've tried burning on different media (3 different brands) on 4X. All of my other backups work fine, just SMG gives me this. I did apply the Wii update the first time I ran SMG, was that a mistake?

Any ideas?

Dillinger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone still having the "test failed" problem. I had this problem but just recently got it fixed! I thought it was the chip being faulty. I knew mine was genuine and it was a good solder job. So i kept searching around before i went to buy a new one. and I found this:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiikey/60833-v...ready-burn.html

It fixed everything!! Get that iso, burn it with imgburn, and pop it in the wii. Worked perfectly for me. Everything before this gave me the infamous "test failed" error. Until now! Try it out.

bobdafrij

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm.... Still didn't work for me.

PAL Wii with 3.1e and I've tried all the possible disc upgrade options anyone has suggested on all forums (padding, not padding, different d/l's, different burning software, speed, etc...) . 1.9b and 1.9g still come up with the error, check your connections problem.

I'm guessing that my wiikey is a copy but I still have heard of some of these being updated ok. If anyone has any other advice that would be appreciated. I guess at works I can get another chip or try and make up one of those programmers that has been suggested. If there is a flashable DVD option though that would be best.

bobdafrij

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll definitely have a look but I did it myself and had done a few previously. Usually make sure my solder joints are pretty well made too. From what I've read though there are lots of people struggling even with correctly installed wiikeys.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i've been reading the forums for ages and correctly installed genuine wiikeys don't have your problem (if they do have the connection error it's fixed with padding).. Definately check your soldering and the chip itself. Usually it turns out to be a cheap crappy chip instead of a proper wiikey :/

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You probably have a clone that has been wrongly flashed with the incorrect fuse setting, which is the reason that the update fails.

I've had no problems updating my homemade Wiikeys, and my friend had no problems updating his clone.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try another firmware perhaps? YAOSM and OpenWii are both as good, if not better than WiiKey. OpenWii even has DVD updates.

Did your WiiKey work before you tried the update?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game