Hacking WiiFlow Lite

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 questions for a newb (having previously used USB Loader GX)...

- Is there a way to easily move all my Wii covers/art to my USB drive? I only play Wii games and in USB Loader, I just move the folders from the SD card to the USB drive and then change the custom paths.
- How do you update WiiFlow when a new version comes out? Is it as easy as downloading the new version and overwriting the app folder on the SD card?

Thanks
Q1 - in main settings (pg4 i think) is the option to set paths. use it to change the path to your full covers and front covers. otherwise you need to open and edit wiiflow_lite.ini under [GENERAL] to change the dirs from sd: to usb1:.

Q2 - pretty much what you said except you'll want to keep your wiiflow_lite.ini.

Bwangster12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Q1 - in main settings (pg4 i think) is the option to set paths. use it to change the path to your full covers and front covers. otherwise you need to open and edit wiiflow_lite.ini under [GENERAL] to change the dirs from sd: to usb1:.

Q2 - pretty much what you said except you'll want to keep your wiiflow_lite.ini.

Thank you... to confirm, there is no in program updater through the Wii? Is there any concern about updating and messing something up? I usually like to stay up to date. Is it always as simple as drag and drop (keeping the ini)?

Bwangster12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no internal updater and shouldn't be any concerns doing it manually.

Last question (for now, lol)... in the 5.4.4 version, you wrote:

IMPORTANT! with this release you must replace your bins and imgs folders or wiiflow may crash. move or rename those folders to back them up in case you need to go back to previous version.

Without getting into too much detail (as I'm a newb), is this type of thing technically taken care of if I'm replacing the folder?

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last question (for now, lol)... in the 5.4.4 version, you wrote:

IMPORTANT! with this release you must replace your bins and imgs folders or wiiflow may crash. move or rename those folders to back them up in case you need to go back to previous version.

Without getting into too much detail (as I'm a newb), is this type of thing technically taken care of if I'm replacing the folder?
if you choose overwrite it isn't going to backup those files and folders first. but if you didn't backup, the older releases are always still available on github.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Bwangster12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you choose overwrite it isn't going to backup those files and folders first. but if you didn't backup, the older releases are always still available on github.

Thanks for your help. I've been using USB Loader GX and have been fine, but as of late (perhaps v1271 and 1272) I've had some oddities with my HD not being initialized and me having to tinker (changing to IOS58, etc). Was hoping for a more hands off type of experience.

Bwangster12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do I just move that entire 'wiiflow' folder on the root of the SD card and then go into the settings and point to the new location?

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only necessary reason to do that is if you have a really small SD card.
but if you must.
yes move root:/wiiflow folder to usb.
open and edit wiiflow lite ini changing all dirs to usb1:

cambios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have a question that seems silly to you but is making me go crazy.
Since I haven't started Wiiflow setup from 0, I am using the forum tutorial using Danimalz Masterpiece Pack (v5.4).
A friend has recommended that I put the mame roms in the sd to make it work better but I find that the .INI files start from the partition = x parameter.
The issue is that if you put an absolute path, it puts the root before that path.
It would not be more logical than the paths, they would start with root: // (and thus be able to preset a path) but then that they could be changed and if SD or USB1 is used, would it discard the general configuration?
Or is there a way to alternate this and I, as a newbie, don't find out anything?

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question that seems silly to you but is making me go crazy.
Since I haven't started Wiiflow setup from 0, I am using the forum tutorial using Danimalz Masterpiece Pack (v5.4).
A friend has recommended that I put the mame roms in the sd to make it work better but I find that the .INI files start from the partition = x parameter.
The issue is that if you put an absolute path, it puts the root before that path.
It would not be more logical than the paths, they would start with root: // (and thus be able to preset a path) but then that they could be changed and if SD or USB1 is used, would it discard the general configuration?
Or is there a way to alternate this and I, as a newbie, don't find out anything?
I'm assuming you are talking about the line romdir= in a plugin ini file. if so, you can not specify the whole absolute path. the partition is controlled by wiiflow. but you can add the line rompartition=x where x is 0 for sd and 1 for usb and -1 for wiiflow to use the default partition via wiiflow.

cambios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm assuming you are talking about the line romdir= in a plugin ini file. if so, you can not specify the whole absolute path. the partition is controlled by wiiflow. but you can add the line rompartition=x where x is 0 for sd and 1 for usb and -1 for wiiflow to use the default partition via wiiflow.

Thank you , excelent work...very impressive at all...a new long life for wii

BadPeach

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you're using a composite video cable then you should leave the video mode settings alone, otherwise you'll probably get a black screen.

With WiiFlow Lite v5.4.4 all games were being patched if you selected to use the progressive video mode. This caused issues for WiiWare games, so now only PAL Wii games will be patched when you set the video mode to progressive.
So, just for understand..i ve just updated wiiflow from 5.4.4 to 5.4.5
I'm using composite and the console resolution is set to 576i Pal.
I ve just tested some games (wii games), with progressive mode setted...pal games and USA games...all games work and no black screen.
So what is the best solution for improve at least a little the resolution quality with the horrible combo, composite video cable and modern tv ?

Last edited by BadPeach,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro