Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
I did do a diskscan in Windows, and it found a couple errors on the disk but was able to fix them. It copied some things to a FOUND.000 folder (I can give more details on those if needed)
The hard drive connects fine connected to the Wii as well as the computer, everything is still accessible through The Homebrew Channel.
I can get my USB Wii Games to play via Wiiflow if I use the B button to exit back, rather than clicking (as previously explained).. So it appears that the issue is purely do to source menu/coverflow menu.
I have uploaded the source_menu.ini again, but the issue remains. and the only recent thing I have changed in the source menu was adding a couple new pictures from your full_cover (of the master pack),
and changing GBAGX from using the single plugin, to the 3 separate plugins for GBA, GBC, & GB respectively.
any corrupted png can cause the crash so it's better to replace and check the pngs and also to delete the caches
Wiiflow code-dunps whenever I load a game. I think it's because my drive was wbfs2fat'ed, but I'm not sure.
unlikely
try force cios 249 in general loader settings or game settings, it's a known bug in wiiflow 1056+

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds very similar to what I did recently..
I switched from the singular all in one plugin of GBAGX, to the three seperate plugins of GBAGX (ie. GBAGX Game Boy Advanced, GBAGX Game Boy Color, GBAGX Game Boy)

Does this cause issues by doing this?
PS: the issue I was previously having with the Gensplus covers not showing up was because Abz switched the directory from box_covers/genplus to box_covers/genplusgx in the plugins and when I updated to his new pack it couldn't find the proper directory because it was the wrong name now.

Good to hear it's sorted out! Nah no issues regarding changing to separate plugins - I did that when switching to source flow myself with GBA (Retroarch here though). Just fire up the plugin ini and check where the cover folder, etc, is and edit as necessary.

Another tip for source flow is you can simply delete anything you're not using in the ini and it won't show up in the flow either - handy for anyone who only wants one instance of the NES for example.
Another tip: you can add multiple magic numbers to an entry in the ini too, just separate by a comma & space, ie: 12345678, 87654321. Handy if you want all your arcade games in 1 place (I've actually got FBA, CPS1, CPS2, Neo Geo and MAME in the same place this way)

Reactions: RiCK420

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always had wiiflow and other apps on USB HDD with my games (I Dont like to use the SD card). i was wondering do other people recommend putting the apps on a SD card and use the USB only for the games?

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always had wiiflow and other apps on USB HDD with my games (I Dont like to use the SD card). i was wondering do other people recommend putting the apps on a SD card and use the USB only for the games?
I've always had emunand, wii, gamecube, and ps1 games on HDD and everything else on SD. I find it nice to be able to still play something from my SD while I be adding games, managing files, etc on the HDD on my computer. :lol:

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Always preferred apps and emu stuffs on SD.

Emunand, gamecube games and wii games on USB. I feel like if something gets corrupted its just my SD card in that case. Wiiflow just reads the data from my HDD in this situation.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
fledge68 might I suggest my setup. Which is to use FAT32 primary partition and NTFS as second partition to hold games. So no issues with splitting like Xenoblade Chronicles freezing, but most importantly when something strange happens that could potentially corrupt the drive only the FAT32 partition is affected and the games are stil intact, no need to worry about hours of re-ripping/d-loading/transferring games and only the FAT32 partition needs to be backed up which is much smaller and safer to manage.

Reactions: punkydudester

RiCK420

Contributing Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiiflow has crashed on me.. it initially loads, but any time I click on any item in the source flow, it boots me back to priiloader...

Does anyone know why this might be happening? All was previously working fine.. Maybe one of my config files or such has become corrupted, but I have no idea which?

Please help, thanks!

PS: Some more information.. I've discovered that if I press the B button rather than click a system title, it will take me to the USB Wii games and shows them all and plays them.. if I click the next icon it shows all my Gamecube games... However clicking any icon from source flow still drops me to Priiloader.. It seems really weird.

Still having this issue.. :-(

Things I have tried to fix this:
  1. Resetting my source_menu back to the default.
  2. Changing theme back to default.
  3. I checked all my graphic files, and those seem to be proper.
  4. Tried deleting my entire /cache folder.
  5. Renamed Wiiflow "settings" to "settings.old" to have Wiiflow make fresh ones.
..but the issue remains.

6. Delete wiiflow.ini

Does anyone have any other suggestions I might try, to get my Wiiflow Source Menu / Source Flow working again?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thank you.

SOLVED: After many days of trying various things and stressing out why my wii wasn't working right, it all came down to a single corrupted file... the wiiflow.ini

Hope this saves others hours of headache in the future if they have a similar issue.

Reactions: punkydudester

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country

1. I have tried resetting my source_menu back to the default, but the issue remains..
  2. I also tried changing theme back to default, but the issue remains..
Does anyone have any other suggestions I might try, to get my Wiiflow Source Menu / Source Flow working again?

Thank you.

Did u renanme your settings folder in /wiiflow? Try that and let wiiflow build the settings files from scratch. If all is well you can narrow down which file is causing the problem replacing the new files with old ones, one at a time.

Of course this also assumes that your wiiflow.ini is also fresh just in case, u can rename or backup your old one, again if all is well you can try to narrow down which setting caused the problem.

RiCK420

Contributing Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did u renanme your settings folder in /wiiflow? Try that and let wiiflow build the settings files from scratch. If all is well you can narrow down which file is causing the problem replacing the new files with old ones, one at a time.

Of course this also assumes that your wiiflow.ini is also fresh just in case, u can rename or backup your old one, again if all is well you can try to narrow down which setting caused the problem.

I just backed up my entire SD card so I can experiment more, without worry of losing data.

I will try your suggestion now, and report back. And thank you for a suggestion to try! :-)

UPDATE: Tried your suggestion, I renamed "settings" to "settings.old".
But it still crashed! :-(

RiCK420

Contributing Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you've already attempted running sourceflow with just one or 2 plugins first?

I restored it back to Abs default from his latest Master Pack.

I will try it with only the Wii plugin.

Trying this as my source_menu.ini

Code:
[BUTTON_0]
image=wii.png
image_s=wiib.png
source=wii
title=Wii

Arrgggh, still crashes!! :wacko:

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been down with no PC for a while but I'm back up and running I'll see what I can do about setting up SourceFlow and using it, I mainly use the SourceMenu and switch over to SourceFlow every now and then just to show people an alternative way of picking things. I'll report back with my findings, if I can confirm I'll make a bug report on the SVN.

Reactions: RiCK420

RiCK420

Contributing Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that I am still using d2x v 7 final, and that some people have shown they are using d2x v 10 beta 52 & d2x v 10 beta 53.

Should I update to this newer version, and if so what slots are recommended to use? (Maybe someone can post their working config as reference?)

SysCheck v2.2.0 HD Edition by Double_A and R2-D2199, JoostinOnline, Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 148852366
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 142 titles.
Found 54 IOS on this console. 13 of them are stub.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): No Patches
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[37] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS245[37] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS246[38] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[53] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[55] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 21007, Info: d2x-v7final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 09/16/2014.

MassiveRican

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm gone for the night, I mainly use a variation on Abz setup so if you have the master pack I would suggest installing his cIOS config. I would most definitely update to at least v8 but stay away from v9. IMO d2xv10r52/53 are the best, it depends on what you want more support for multiple drives with plug n' Play ability for peripherals or better NAND emulation.

Personally I opt for r52 myself but also have r53 installed on different slots to support well.. everything lol. You should check out the official sites distro info and make your decisions based on your setup, and again Abz setup is recommended since he also has both installed in different slots.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys for your opinions. i like the apps on SD idea but now i remember why i put everything on USB. my wii sd slot is about to wear out from me putting in and taking out my SD card so much. so im scared to mess with it.

RiCK420

Contributing Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there yet a way to auto-download covers for emulators, like the Wii and GameCube covers do,
or is this still a manual process?

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
thanks guys for your opinions. i like the apps on SD idea but now i remember why i put everything on USB. my wii sd slot is about to wear out from me putting in and taking out my SD card so much. so im scared to mess with it.
Use FTP!
I even scotch taped my SD card cover to keep kids away :P
moreover some emus like frodo and uae work only from sd card (though roms can be on different media)

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Things I have tried to fix this:
  1. Resetting my source_menu back to the default.
  2. Changing theme back to default.
  4. Tried deleting my entire /cache folder.
  5. Renamed Wiiflow "settings" to "settings.old" to have Wiiflow make fresh ones.
..but the issue remains.

6. Delete wiiflow.ini

Thank you.

SOLVED: After many days of trying various things and stressing out why my wii wasn't working right, it all came down to a single corrupted file... the wiiflow.ini

Hope this saves others hours of headache in the future if they have a similar issue.

Hmm, this sounds like the very same issue I'm currently dealing with I mentioned a few pages back. Me, MassiveRican, fledge68, and abz all tried to pinpoint this matter. However, my wiiflow.ini file looks fine. How can you tell if it is corrupted? I'm really hoping this is the issue as I would love to 'flow again.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, this sounds like the very same issue I'm currently dealing with I mentioned a few pages back. Me, MassiveRican, fledge68, and abz all tried to pinpoint this matter. However, my wiiflow.ini file looks fine. How can you tell if it is corrupted? I'm really hoping this is the issue as I would love to 'flow again.
Sequester everything to a new folder. Fresh install of Wiiflow 1076. Slowly move Wiiflow related files back in place. Plugins, then game settings, then covers, etc. Report back once you've made it this far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive