GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
bluescreen81 said:
neardark said:
"Lol - the hosting costs are sorted and the bandwidth costs are sorted"

does this mean no more charge?

I noticed there was no reply to this, we know why. you might be thinking gees give it a rest, but people who donated thinking the money was required to pay for hosting, and now that and the other issues have been solved they are now wondering why people still need to pay, if people still need to pay it all points to one thing, Greed.

this is my last comment on the matter, just think about what I have said.

totally agree with you.

(as i already said - loaders dont wanna have money for their much work and help is here available enough.)

shouldnt see why u have to pay anyhow most covers are uped by the users anyway

and all i get is

"Not allowed link unless you come from the index page

Please ask whoever posted the link to correct it and point to

www.wiiboxart.com

/pal.php"

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
testic-cancer said:
dexter222 said:
1. Static IP address are sort of rare in the US, most providers, as in euorpe I'd imagine, use a dynamic address that just happens to never change.
No, static aren't rare in europe - for instance, in the UK ~30% of connections are static. The rest are dynamic, at least until the lease is up - for many isps this is set to either 7 or 30 days.

QUOTE said:
2. Of course torrent sites use it. How do you think they track vuze? From firefox? No... they track your stats via IP address. GBA temp can likely also block or allow according to IP. I'm not going to get banned to find out
smile.gif

Goto sct, waffles, what etc - you have to login to the torrentsite website using a username and password, which your hash is generated from.

Of course gbatemp can ban by ip - but to login you do it by username/pass. You don't register and get your username assigned to a specific IP - that would be ridiculous when so much of the world is dynamic and not static.

QUOTE said:
3. What? huh? ip/ident? This makes absolutely no sense. The server knows what your IP address is without any help from the wii lol. You were kidding with you post, weren't you?
It makes perfect sense. It knows what your ip is. But because of dynamic IP's anyone could have that, so you need some form of authorisation. In it's most basic form this would be via ident. The wii would need an ident daemon running to authorise you. sure it can be coded in little time, but why bother? username/password is far simpler and makes much more sense.

That's how most 3rd part news servers operate when an ISP outsources news... but strictly by IP address.
Actually, most news providers (certainly giganews) who outsource have certain ip ranges that they allow, if you are coming from outside of that range then you have to input a username/pass.

1. There ya go! You will own up to at least a week - even though it's likely more than 30 days on the lease and even when the lease expires it doesn't mean it switches the IP address until MAYBE the next time you re-connect - and that's only likely to change if you are DSL using PPPoE and the auth server is RADIUS. EVEN still - given the lease is a week all that means is the user has to log onto the website once a week using username/pass to update the IP! BAM Perfect solution requiring NO rewrite for the loader coder
biggrin.gif

Okay... so the user takes a month vacation and his old IP addy has been reassigned from the pool to someone else from the same ISP... who just happens to be using the site for his wii... wow he gets to use the site for updating the covers on his wii until the owner of the account comes back and logs in once... Keeping in mind that the uname/pass is required to do the massive zip downloads so all anyone with temporary use of the address will only be able to use the site to update his Wii covers via usb loader without paying... no big deal.

Not only is this by far the best way to do it it's practically the only way that makes sense.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
dexter222 said:
1. There ya go! You will own up to at least a week - even though it's likely more than 30 days on the lease and even when the lease expires it doesn't mean it switches the IP address until MAYBE the next time you re-connect - and that's only likely to change if you are DSL using PPPoE and the auth server is RADIUS. EVEN still - given the lease is a week all that means is the user has to log onto the website once a week using username/pass to update the IP! BAM Perfect solution requiring NO rewrite for the loader coder :D

Okay... so the user takes a month vacation and his old IP addy has been reassigned from the pool to someone else from the same ISP...
No, I think you have misunderstood - after 7/30 days (again, this is only for some isps - others reassaign every 24hrs, although they are admittedly in the minority) the dhcp server renews the IP. You could get the same ip again (60% of UK isp's operate this way). Or you may not.

The fact that almost nothing on the net is tied to IP and instead uses u/p shows how little sense it makes to tie to IP. 20years ago, when the net had so few users lots worked like that. It's now far too big to go back to the past.

QUOTENot only is this by far the best way to do it it's practically the only way that makes sense.
It makes absolutely no sense. But it's all academic anyway - there is absolutely no need to use ip or username; just put the pics on a website and let people download. The server load and bandwidth is minimal - it's only if you try profiteering that everything gets awkward.

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'd say host the covers in one size and tell the loader authors to use that instead.. I remember it being really easy, like just telling the wii to ignore one row of pixels or something.. I'm no coder though. It would cut down the CPU usage for sure.

scognito

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I didn't and will not anymore read this topic, but anyway if the problem is not the bandwidth you can just do a batch resizing of covers once and tell us developers where to get the covers from.
Each resized cover (160x224) is 80K (for 2d ones) so the waste of space isn't a problem (80K * 2000 covers = 160MB).
Do the same for 3D (200-300k -> 500MB) and for disk (less than 150MB) and you'll see that all covers (I assumed roughly one region) will fit in less than 1GB (I say quite a lot less).
Using this method you will not have CPU cycles wasted anymore and loaders can get covers, since (at least) coverfloader and wiiflow can use that size, and probably other loaders (usbloader gx and others) too.
If you are interested let us now (coverfloader team) so we'll change the path for downloading or we can discuss for other methods.

Cheers,
Scognito.

bluescreen81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no replies given on help till now.
its just as it is now. all wants to help to keep it that way it was, but nothin happens.
hopefully it will but if not i'll hope there are some more other resources soon.

jbman

Trophies
XP
Country
I like the site and the work you have put into it. I made a donation for your trouble. Simple as that. I do this a lot on sites I find useful.

Spidy1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@djtaz

Please give us a staight answer to the following question, a simple YES or NO will suffise:

1. Are you willing to let the sizing of covers go and just host the differnt sizes of the images. This should fix your resource problems for sure. (just offer pre-zipped total sets from rapidshare...)

2. If this is what you would be willing to do, will the site become totally free again, so loaders can use it without any restriction (loaders should only download boxart for the games on the HD)

Lots off people have asked these questions before (including me), but i have not seen a real answer yet.
Also lots off people have offered suggestions and help, try to figure out a way to solve your site problems with them (and i'll say it again, stop using the resize function as hosting static sizes is the best way to go because this will only use space and no CPU resources)

Please answer the 2 questions with a simple YES or NO (you can offcourse also put comment with it, but please then put a complete comment on it for why it is a YES or NO)

Just that you know, i dont mind making a 'donation' (if Hibern implements the user pass in the loader), but if you keep using your resize script, you will never fix your resource problems.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He's full of sh!t. He first posts that it's because he used 1000GB of bandwidth so it was costing him money so please donate to cover the costs, blah blah blah. Then later, after he gets a bunch of donations, with the site never working again (not his fault, I believe that), he claims that "bandwidth issues have been sorted out" and that it's a CPU load on the server due to an idiotic resizing script when he could have just hosted compatible sizes to begin with. Now he's taking his money and running.

If he's donating to charity, great, but given the fact that he has clearly never been honest with the rest of the group here (I won't pretend we are "The Scene") I'll believe it when I see the paypal receipt.

rustybanana

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hooya said:
He's full of sh!t. He first posts that it's because he used 1000GB of bandwidth so it was costing him money so please donate to cover the costs, blah blah blah. Then later, after he gets a bunch of donations, with the site never working again (not his fault, I believe that), he claims that "bandwidth issues have been sorted out" and that it's a CPU load on the server due to an idiotic resizing script when he could have just hosted compatible sizes to begin with. Now he's taking his money and running.

If he's donating to charity, great, but given the fact that he has clearly never been honest with the rest of the group here (I won't pretend we are "The Scene") I'll believe it when I see the paypal receipt.

the site is still there
wink.gif

Spidy1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still hope he is willing to comment on the questions.
It seems he is not even willing to consider to stop using his resizing script

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't understand anything of this thread. I completely ignore cover sites. I have a 3D boxart template so I can make all my own covers in seconds. I just take a screenshot from a zoomed cover from gbatemp copy it in my template in photoshop and in approximately 30 seconds I have my own boxart, which is EXACTLY the same as the ones I downloaded.

People, stop talking shit and do a quick tutorial Photoshop. No problem. And if you say you can't do such a thing....well, then you're just a lazy BUM!

TinyBilbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spidy1000 said:
I still hope he is willing to comment on the questions.
It seems he is not even willing to consider to stop using his resizing script

He ain't going to stop using his script because he wants to charge people for the use of it,
as mentioned in his post;

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=164...t&p=2089783

QUOTE(djtaz @ Jun 30 2009, 10:38 PM) The mass download resizing and zipping script is a script i wrote myself from scratch , if u want to use that script you pay for the ability to use it - and im perfectly entitled to do as i wish for that ability - allowing access to any part of my site from outside is also something i wrote , and this ability is also something i can use at my own discression.

makiolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you can download click one to one

then

you can make a script for mass download.

It can make 100% sure, dont need donate

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
makiolo said:
If you can download click one to one

then

you can make a script for mass download.

It can make 100% sure, dont need donate

Thats already been tried and only the direct downloads work - i can change that , but its not worth my effort.
I have however put that download app as a link on the site in case people want to mass download off other sites that dont protect the images since it seems to be what people want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...