hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
ok ill say it again

ITS NOT THE BANDWIDTH THATS THE ISSUE- THAT WAS SORTED OUT
Its the system resources when people open a boxart and the system has to resize it - one a one by one basis its not too bad , but when multiple autodownloaders do it, it pushes up the system resource usage and can crash or freeze the server.

The site is capable of taking quite a lot , but the usage on there was massive which is why i restircted normal users to be able to do the same as any of the other sites and download covers one by one though they could still pick any size.

Then this is really silly, because implementing something like a cache of covers that were already done would have solved the problem. After the common combination of files were served, there would be hardly any CPU time used.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
neardark said:
my god you dont need the site to resize it, do a batch resize and store them on the site then people can just go to the section for the size they need. simples!!

do you understand? when people choose PAL or NTSC and then Front cover, then they can click to goto the 160 x 224 section or click to goto the 160 x 225 section, no resizing needed

I was starting to do that to keep the server resources down - this only came to light sunday evening ffs - its only tuesday and i have been trying to stop people killing the site again with mass download scripts in order to make changes , but everything i do seems to be wrong in your eyes and trying to save the server was me being greedy.
i did try to explain this to you , but u were so stuck on the bandwith angle that u wouldnt let go.

bluescreen81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
neardark said:
my god you dont need the site to resize it, do a batch resize and store them on the site then people can just go to the section for the size they need. simples!!

do you understand? when people choose PAL or NTSC and then Front cover, then they can click to goto the 160 x 224 section or click to goto the 160 x 225 section, no resizing needed

that was exactly what i meaned too.

if ya do it that way it will work like every other site as well.

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
data0002 said:
Djtaz. what about you making the site free again, but the files are kept on other hosts. like most loaders are changing over to. you can be the center point. even i will give you some of my host for you to use for your files

ok you guys really dont understand how intricate the site was.

the files are hosted in different formats and sizes to what is returned to the user , so the site has to resize and convert the images from JPG to PNG and from the size they are at to the posted user size requested.

If i moved the images to another site , the server resizing them would then have to download them (adding to bandwidth issues server to server) or it would have to resize them (adding to resource usage) , either way , it would either max out the bandwidth or the resources very fast on one or both servers.

This is why i decided to limit the amount of people with access to the files at one time which was working until the app to rip the site came out and i had to make a serious change to things.

I know this is the third time I've said this but why reinvent the wheel 20,00 times a day? Resize files ONCE, when they're uploaded, into all the different sizes needed. They take up piddling little space so don't even try to tell me space is a consideration. I am hosting all the covers for my USB Loader GX anyways cause I hacked my r550 to get covers from my own site until they get a stable version again. I have tons of unused bandwidth you are welcome to.

But store each specific size needed - resizing on the fly is an absolute waste of CPU time no matter how cool it was for you to do
smile.gif
- I'm putting my money where my mouth is and am willing to help with storage and bandwidth - for all those who want to click the ALL button redirect them to get it pre-zipped from somewhere else. It's NOT the USB loaders that are likely taking up your bandwidth, it's the guys who just get all the covers at once whether they need them or not (like me lol)

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
dexter222 said:
I know this is the third time I've said this but why reinvent the wheel 20,00 times a day? Resize files ONCE, when they're uploaded, into all the different sizes needed.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and am willing to help with storage and bandwidth - for all those who want to click the ALL button redirect them to get it pre-zipped from somewhere else. It's NOT the USB loaders that are likely taking up your bandwidth, it's the guys who just get all the covers at once whether they need them or not (like me lol)
That entire post is win - not only are you pointing out the obvious, you are offering to even do it.

I'm sure you'll be ignored though, as doing it your way won't make anyone money...

neardark

Trophies
XP
Country
he needs to take the help that's being offered and it will allow him to run it without a charge for it's users, any advertising will cover the cost.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eclipse01 said:
I am so glad I didn't donate, I was just about ready to but everytime I wanted to get to the site it was shut down.

I get it's circumstances outside of guy's control. And I applaud him for making a site, not charging people, and providing a free service. I even think the people that started crying about not being able to use their launchers to download art are complete douchebags. I mean christ, at most 1 decent game comes out a week. How hard is it to manually download 1 art a week.

However, the guy that hosts it has said like 10x now "that's it i'm done!".. even the site said it was perma down for a while. now it's back up.

If he's going to require monetary support to host it, he might as well take it down. Because at this point he's going to be hard pressed to find someone willing to donate money to some bipolar guy with hosting issues.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lol - the hosting costs are sorted and the bandwidth costs are sorted - i just got sick of the constant bitching when im trying to help people out.

I got a load of appreciation mails in when i put it down which made me decide it was a bad idea to punish those that appreciate the site.

If people dont want to use it then dont , but the constant bitching about a site u dont want to use is a silly argument.

neardark

Trophies
XP
Country
"Lol - the hosting costs are sorted and the bandwidth costs are sorted"

does this mean no more charge?

aslo there's lots of people willing to help, take it when it's offered

neardark

Trophies
XP
Country
""There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

love that qoute lol, 10 101010101 of people lol

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bluescreen81 said:
yeah all are willing to help to keep this project completely free (without member login) but i cant see that he just wants to get help lol

I could care less whether or not he requires a small stipend for using his services... that's simply business.

I do still believe that the site should authorize by IP (requiring no password) as well as having uname/pass option for the one tenth of one percent out there who have dedicated internet that changes IP address. Then the USB loaders would have worked for most ppl without the coders needing to make changes (did anyone really, truly believe the folks who wrote GX were going to rewrite their code for THIS? lol I'm way surprised ANY developers did). We probably would have avoided half this drama.

Why wasn't boxart auth IP based anyways? It SOOO makes so much more sense for the USB loaders... Hell... still make ppl log in to zip the 20,000 covers at a time but allow loaders in by their IP addy.

neardark

Trophies
XP
Country

I noticed there was no reply to this, we know why. you might be thinking gees give it a rest, but people who donated thinking the money was required to pay for hosting, and now that and the other issues have been solved they are now wondering why people still need to pay, if people still need to pay it all points to one thing, Greed.

this is my last comment on the matter, just think about what I have said.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
dexter222 said:
the one tenth of one percent out there who have dedicated internet that changes IP address.
That maybe the case in the USA, but most of europe has mixed static and dynamic ISP's.

IP authorisation is useless for something like this - if it worked gbatemp, torrentsites etc would all use it.

At a very minimum ip/ident would be needed (such as irc) - but who's going to write an ident daemon just for a usb loader?

bluescreen81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
neardark said:

I noticed there was no reply to this, we know why. you might be thinking gees give it a rest, but people who donated thinking the money was required to pay for hosting, and now that and the other issues have been solved they are now wondering why people still need to pay, if people still need to pay it all points to one thing, Greed.

this is my last comment on the matter, just think about what I have said.

totally agree with you.

(as i already said - loaders dont wanna have money for their much work and help is here available enough.)

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
testic-cancer said:
dexter222 said:
the one tenth of one percent out there who have dedicated internet that changes IP address.
That maybe the case in the USA, but most of europe has mixed static and dynamic ISP's.

IP authorisation is useless for something like this - if it worked gbatemp, torrentsites etc would all use it.

At a very minimum ip/ident would be needed (such as irc) - but who's going to write an ident daemon just for a usb loader?

1. Static IP address are sort of rare in the US, most providers, as in euorpe I'd imagine, use a dynamic address that just happens to never change.

2. Of course torrent sites use it. How do you think they track vuze? From firefox? No... they track your stats via IP address. GBA temp can likely also block or allow according to IP. I'm not going to get banned to find out
smile.gif

3. What? huh? ip/ident? This makes absolutely no sense. The server knows what your IP address is without any help from the wii lol. You were kidding with you post, weren't you?

Authorization can easily be done by wiiboxart by IP as well as username/auth. That's how most 3rd part news servers operate when an ISP outsources news... but strictly by IP address.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
dexter222 said:
1. Static IP address are sort of rare in the US, most providers, as in euorpe I'd imagine, use a dynamic address that just happens to never change.
No, static aren't rare in europe - for instance, in the UK ~30% of connections are static. The rest are dynamic, at least until the lease is up - for many isps this is set to either 7 or 30 days.

QUOTE said:
2. Of course torrent sites use it. How do you think they track vuze? From firefox? No... they track your stats via IP address. GBA temp can likely also block or allow according to IP. I'm not going to get banned to find out :)
Goto sct, waffles, what etc - you have to login to the torrentsite website using a username and password, which your hash is generated from.

Of course gbatemp can ban by ip - but to login you do it by username/pass. You don't register and get your username assigned to a specific IP - that would be ridiculous when so much of the world is dynamic and not static.

QUOTE said:
3. What? huh? ip/ident? This makes absolutely no sense. The server knows what your IP address is without any help from the wii lol. You were kidding with you post, weren't you?
It makes perfect sense. It knows what your ip is. But because of dynamic IP's anyone could have that, so you need some form of authorisation. In it's most basic form this would be via ident. The wii would need an ident daemon running to authorise you. sure it can be coded in little time, but why bother? username/password is far simpler and makes much more sense.

That's how most 3rd part news servers operate when an ISP outsources news... but strictly by IP address.
Actually, most news providers (certainly giganews) who outsource have certain ip ranges that they allow, if you are coming from outside of that range then you have to input a username/pass.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the problem with introducing paid membership for unlimited services. The reason the IP restrictions are needed is to stop people from sharing their account with multiple people. It may be more practical to simply limit the number of downloads per user over time. That's the real issue.

Let's say lots of people join and bang away at the server. He's still going to have CPU problems. The payment isn't tied to the amount of CPU used.

Besides, like he said: there's no more bandwidth issues. The CPU issues can be overcome by supplying pre-rendered covers. After that, there are no issues left to worry about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe