wiiboxart.com poorly?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by rustybanana, Jun 27, 2009.

Jun 27, 2009

wiiboxart.com poorly? by rustybanana at 8:29 PM (22,128 Views / 0 Likes) 254 replies

1. rustybanana
    OP

Member rustybanana GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Ive been trying to get onto the site to manually get some boxart and its been throwing me a 403 for the last 40 mins or so. Anyone know if there is a general problem with the site?

2. dexter222

Member dexter222 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It went down while I was in their chatbox telling them they needed to make the Auth IP based - I thought they got angry and locked me out lol.

3. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I'm sure the boards will be cluttered up in no time with posts from noobs "I have to pay for boxart?" "My covers won't download..." "You mean I have to actually do something for myself and manually add all my covers unless I donate?"

4. rustybanana
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thats why I made this post [​IMG]

5. RolloS60

Newcomer RolloS60 Advanced Member

Germany
    thanks...just released CoverFloader "with cover download again" [​IMG]

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    most loaders can download the covers themselves now no need to donate

7. pretender13

Member pretender13 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    actually i think now the loaders have to be modified to allow the use of user / pw as that is what the site requires now.
    in order to get a user / pw you need to donate.

as far as i know the only loader with this option currently is coverflodder.

but you can still download covers from wiiboxart 1 at a time.

or get the cover / disc packs in the first page of the loaders thread.

8. neardark

Member neardark GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Pretender your correct, CoverFloader RC7V2 requires a user name and password to download covers via it, but still non members/donators can still goto the site and download the covers 1 by 1, that's no great hastle if you have most of your covers.

9. dexter222

United States
    It's good that they started charging [​IMG] I don't begrudge anyone a bit of profit... and to think this venture is not for profit is naive. The strategy of providing valuable service/goods then cutting folks off unless they start paying cries of good ole American Capitalism [​IMG] I applaud it! I already paid, in fact.

Since retrieving cover/disc art is now a for-profit venture we should see other sites popping up to offer the same service and see some compete for business... and some that will still be doing it for free.

This should prompt the USB loader developers to add the option of where users can get their artwork. This should have been an option all along as it would have prompted other sites to offer this service and we would still be able to get covers via direct download without interruption [​IMG]

Now the site is down and ppl are going into cover art withdrawal lol. Whether or not the site is down by accident or design, this should punctuate the need to have more than one cover site and the option to choose sites in the loaders.

10. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    disc images and 2D boxart are locked out, last i checked. and i think that the 3D covers were recently blocked as well.

gx should take one of the people up on their free hosting offer. there is no way that a website hosting images < 256x256 moved a TB of bandwidth.

11. Bladexdsl

Australia
    so their charging for covers that aren't really theirs AND weren't even uploaded by them in the 1st place? no offense but that's just being greedy sob. I'll be getting the covers and making them myself from now on. this is the site knock yourself out http://www.cdcovers.cc/ how hard is it to crop and resize an image?!

12. neardark

Member neardark GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I think the site is down because they offered those who donated the option to download all the covers from the site in zips.

13. RolloS60

Newcomer RolloS60 Advanced Member

Germany
    Nice idea, i'll pick up this...

14. rustybanana
    OP

United Kingdom
    A lot of the custom disk labels are from peeps on console-covers.com and are probably being used without their permission. Sadly when people start charging for others work the original artist stops work. [​IMG]

Is the site still down?

15. dexter222

United States
    I agree. It's easy to get the cover images and re-size them in photoshop. I did my own for ones that weren't at wiiboxart.com - and redid lots that were already there because they were wrong - and I uploaded a fair number of the covers that are there. I may not have donated but I actively uploaded cover art. Now I have donated and can't get on [​IMG] I think we're being punished for griping about having to pay lol.

16. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    Well, Taz's argument is that we would not be paying for the artwork itself but rather the bandwidth to download it. Whether we agree with it or not (I don't) is not going to change the fact that it's happening. So, it's time for us to either shut up and pay or do it ourselves (whether that be start another site or just make our own personal covers).

17. technazz

Newcomer technazz Member

Canada
    The donation is just to pay for the bandwidth. You just have to donate 1 Euro. It not about selling the covers its covering the costs of running the site. Bulk downloading adds up. Quit moaning about it and set up another site on your dime.

Technazz

18. Bladexdsl

Australia
    or go here http://www.console-covers.com/ [​IMG]

19. rustybanana
    OP

United Kingdom
    Me waits for a few more covers to pop up. Ive got a lot hoarded away here somewhere so will be happy to contribute to another site [​IMG]

Hopefully the artists of the "borrowed" customs demand their work be removed.

20. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    Im just in home after a 2 hours drive and i saw the site down - i still havent a clue whats up , but im totally banned from the FTP and the webside of it so i sent the hosting compant a mail to see what is happening.

Ill let you know when i find out more.