Wii won't recognize my (compatible) Hard drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by XerosVeritas, Aug 24, 2011.

1. XerosVeritas
    OP

Newcomer XerosVeritas Newbie

United States
    Hi. I recently imported Xenoblade and I'm following Joystiq's guide on how to play it on my Wii. The problem is that the Wii, for some reason, is not detecting my External Hard Drive. I've double checked that I followed the directions carefully (I had to go through the cIOS step again because I hit the wrong button and backed out before finishing at one point), and I made sure to do the meta step. In fact, the USB loader is working perfectly outside of this problem. I ripped Twilight Princess to my SD card just to make sure everything was working fine. Anyway, I've found my hard drive's vendor and product ID and it was on a list of compatible hardware, however even after formatting it, the Wii won't recognize it. I've also double checked to make sure it's in the correct slot. The hard drive works fine with everything else I plug it into (my computer, my PS3, other people's computers) so I'm not really sure what's wrong. Can anyone help me with this?

2. Did you format the drive as a "primary" drive? I used easeus partition manager and formatted it to FAT32 as a primary drive. (You'll be able to tell if it's primary as in it will use ALL disc space on it, not leave a 32mb or something at the beginning of it.)

3. someonewhodied

Member someonewhodied Lazy Person

United States
    is it in the slot closest to the edge?

4. XerosVeritas
    OP

Newcomer XerosVeritas Newbie

United States
    Yes and yes.

5. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    is it the usb port it's self? that could be the problem.. try a usb pen drive, or a different harddrive. an post a sys check.