Hacking Wii Upscaling?

wingzrow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to upscale wii or gamecube games without an emulator? I was thinking of something along the lines of a converter box to run it through HDMI but if the technology isn't there then I apologies for wasting your time.

Maurice10

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the Wii outputs a 2D image.
As you probably know upscaling a 2D image is useless.
What has to be done is make the Wii render the 3D models in bigger (and/or keep the Wii from downscaling 2D objects so much).
Then the Wii must give out a HD picture somehow.
But this is impossible. Emulators can be told to do that; the Wii can't.

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Guardian said:
What if you inform the wii that you are god? lol
If you notice in the video for Preloader 3.0, it says something along the lines of informing the wii that he's god.
Does that answer your question? wait, ...what? lolol.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maurice10 said:
What has to be done is make the Wii render the 3D models in bigger (and/or keep the Wii from downscaling 2D objects so much).

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Maurice10

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
frown.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maduin said:
Maurice10 said:

Actually that is exactly right, if explained in an overly simplistic way.

You can filter the output (which is merely a 2-d analog image) but it will only be stretched and look icky at best (see the PS2 image quality stretched on a PS3)

The only correct way to increase the image quality would be to have the Wii display in a higher res, but the hardware is limited... either in it's ability to output the data from it's port, or through some sort of function of the firmware. If the latter, some programs may be able to display at a higher res if we could get software to boot before all the hardware is initialized by the firmware (IE, Bootmii) but it would never work on commercial games. If the former, some homebrew could take advantage of it... but only limitedly because the hardware isn't very powerful.

Tagg7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maduin said:
Maurice10 said:

He knows exactly what he's talking about.

Epiphany

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wingzrow said:
I was thinking of something along the lines of a converter box to run it through HDMI...
Totally do-able.

Maurice10 is right though. Only so much can be done with 2D. This page is amazing. Review of every scaler suitable for gaming. It'll be an improvement, but having the 3D rendered at a higher resolution would be near-perfect, if you've seen any of the Wii emulator screen shots, which is seems you have.

Personally I'm holding out for the Gefen Scaler Pro which contains a HQV chip, a chip I am obsessed with. I have a HDTV and the Wii's 480p bothers my eyes. $900 Is not for everyone though!

Good luck!

daroga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I run all my gear through an Onkyo 606 receiver (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0015S8PGW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238983947&sr=8-1 ) that upscales anything going through it to 720p or 1080i.

Obviously, it doesn't make it true HD, nor does it even do as much as say my PS3 does for DVDs, but it does indeed make the text sharper and the image and colors seems to "pop" a little bit more. It's a nice feature to have if you're going to get a receiver, but it's certainly not something worth buying one for.

EGOvoruhk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wingzrow said:
Is it possible to upscale wii or gamecube games without an emulator? I was thinking of something along the lines of a converter box to run it through HDMI but if the technology isn't there then I apologies for wasting your time.

Your TV is upscaling it already. I'm assuming you have a 1080p screen, right? And when you play Wii, it takes up the whole screen, right? If it weren't upscaling it, it would only be a quarter of the screen. Your TV scales it to fit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)