XP
Country
Bricked Wii: NO
Wiiconnect active: YES
Opera browser downloaded: NO
Firmware version: 2.1E
Screensaver activated: YES
Language on system: Spanish

no apparent changes to config menu (country and language menus still working). Firmware still appears to be 2.1E.

Definetly, the bricking issue is directly related to the firmware version installed on the Wii..

Let's see what happens in the next days... Will we be able to apply future system updates?

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Smartest response yet - if there is indeed such a message ("you can set screensaver options in the wii settings" or similar) after you upgrade successfully (can anyone confirm this?), it seems likely that the html file would be that message, just judging by name.
I guess that's what's missing...after the first two system updates there was such a message saying that you can now set the screensaver on/off...

I wonder if there will be any problems in the future with the SPM update...maybe it's like a ticking bomb which will brick your Wii with the next firmware update
wacko.gif

now that surely wouldn't be Nintendo's intention, but it's still possible that this update could cause more PAL Wiis to brick when installing later updates...

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i called nintendo-europe

the guy on the phone has talked to a technic guy and they say there's no real option to remove the brick for yourself.
you'll have to send it in
i 'll do this 2morrow
i talkoed to them what about the chip and the guy told me that nintendo wont remove the chip it it's unnecessary.
so the chip will be still installed
but you'll have to pay for the repair of the firmware

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont see why though, because technically it isnt updating from the disc surely? otherwise it would successfully make the firmware into the american version.

i really want to play this, but dont want to risk totally messing my wii up..

pnag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Opera browser downloaded: YES
Language on system: english

I'm located in Ireland. Burnt SPM, plonked it in, performed an update and all was well.

Trouble is, I'd done that before I'd read about all this - now I'll be terrified to try another game!!!

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Wii System: PAL
Language: English
Modchip: OpenWii / ChiiP / Cyclowiz (External so i can switch)
Update: Latest PAL Firmware
Firmware: 2.1E
Wii Connect24: Yes
Screensaver activated: Yes
Wii Internet Browser: Yes
Wii Vote Channel: Yes

- Burned SPM
- Updated cause it asked to update before i could play
- Played perfect after the update
- Version nNr. still says 2.1E

* Plays perfect any other PAL game (original or backup)
* Plays perfect any other NTSC-J or U game that worked before
* When modchip removed it plays perfect any original PAL game
* Plays all the Gamecube backups that worked before
* Still does all other stuff in the menu and plays the VC games fine

So no problem whatsoever here, For the future, i'll wait and see, but i don't expect any problems.

Reason: When you perform an update manually it syas updating, then it connects to the internet, after a few seconds or a minute it says you already have latest update (if that was trhe case)

I think the disc just does the same, it says updating, then checks if you have latest firmware and if yes it just exits but doesn't leave a message saying you alreay have latest udate. It just exits and ressets the Wii.

But, he i could be wrong to
biggrin.gif

So the message is: be sure you have the latest firmware on your Wii!!!

sbygel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i called nintendo-europe

the guy on the phone has talked to a technic guy and they say there's no real option to remove the brick for yourself.
i 'll do this 2morrow
i talkoed to them what about the chip and the guy told me that nintendo wont remove the chip it it's unnecessary.

Did they tell you how much its gonna cost you?

EddyB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Opera browser downloaded: YES
Screensaver activated: ?
Language on system: Dutch

Wonder if there's gonna be an online update soon, could be f*cked.

why though? the firmware hasnt been upgraded? (if your still on 2.1E)

True, but the update must do something and apperantly it's not the update to 2.1U

Opera browser downloaded: NO
Language on system: Spanish

no apparent changes to config menu (country and language menus still working). Firmware still appears to be 2.1E.

Definetly, the bricking issue is directly related to the firmware version installed on the Wii..

Let's see what happens in the next days... Will we be able to apply future system updates?

Wow, this is the first time I hear about a NON-bricked wii without Opera, possibility's gettin smaller

QUOTE(elomaniak @ Apr 11 2007, 12:17 PM)
i called nintendo-europe

i 'll do this 2morrow

You also told them you downed the ISO, or did you tell them it's a backup and you ordered an NTSC version from the US? Pretty cool ninty doesn't care about chiped wii's, but i think this differs per country, in the Netherlands chipping a Wii is Legal but I know it isn't like this everywere.

herpes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i called nintendo-europe

i 'll do this 2morrow
Thanks for the info. I doubt I'm going to be contacting Nintendo UK customer services though to ask for a service, I don't want to risk them acting on the ruling that modchips are illegal in the UK.

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
I'm pretty confident my Wii wouldn't brick because of the update, I'm more concerned about what will happen later on when a game comes out say in PAL region with an update and some compatability problems arise with the new update...

jon-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does no harm calling them! Just make sure you say at you where playing a orginal imported from usa, and you installed a Chip to play it.

madnutcase

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Also bricked my Wii. Have ordered a LAN Adapter. Once I get it hopefully will be able to connect to the net and get past that screen. If not looks like I may need to get a new Wii.

Hopefully there will be a solution to solve the problem.

Will post any news if the Lan Adapter solves the problem.

IceMatrix8

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
After that update, my wii rebooted and got stuck on a message complaining that it couldn't access address marc:EU/EU/ENG/Setup/ScreenSave.html. Seems like an Opera error page but I don't have Opera installed(I don't have wireless).
I have a Wiikey and had patched the game to PAL(it didn't work unmodified). I guess you guys should be careful.

I Have also the same problem...
the same thing ...
it's not a problem related to modchip but a problem with the ntsc to PAL update..i didnt have the wifi connection and i havent had never updated the system since i bought it so...i did my first update with paper mario and i have this problem!
can anyone confirm that if i try the usb lan adapter that the system will go to the url and do the necessary updates??

pipesfranco

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If your wii is up to date and yo have wiiconnect24 on theres nothing to worry about

until a new euro update is required on the pal system.....hoping this isnt going to cause an issue.

wonder if trying to update you pal wii after updating from spm will cause any problems...you know the update option in config?

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
thats if the firmware doesnt mess the wii up in the first place...

i think even though ive got it on a disc now, im gonna wait till the next EU update. Too much too risk if my Wii is gonna screw up on me. I do wanna play Paper Mario but not enough to screw my system up.

IceMatrix8

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
My thought is that you cant fix the problem not even with the usb to lan adapter cause the address is internal for the start image that requires you to press A...
eventully we all have bricked wiis and the only solution is to send it to the repair center with or without modchip...

You can always format your wii's internal memory
how you can do that?

elomaniak

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've told thenm i chipped my wii to play imports and i wanted to play exactly this one, a friend of mine brought me after he got back from the USA in this morning so there seems to be no problem

my wii is going to see regions i've never been in
tongue.gif

they also told me they 'll send me a cost paper with all the costs that will have to be paid for the repair
i think it'll be less than 50€ for a system flash
but you never know
i 'll inform you when i got new news

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7