Gaming Wii u without using game pad question

tiltonblueboy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just a quick question. I have a Wii u with the game pad but the game pad seems to be struggling to keep connection with the Wii u. I never use it anyway as I only play on tv, but wanted to know is it possible to still play games with the game pad display off? I’ve tried wind waker hd and my pro controller needed charging so I went to use the gamepad and an error about communications with the gamepad was displayed. Just want to know will this happen with a pro controller as this is the first time I’ve had this error. Thanks again

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe so, yes, depending on the game. I think there's a way to turn the display off, but I've never messed with it. some games will turn the display off automatically, such as tropical freeze. it has you choose between tv or gamepad (don't think it displays on both at the same time after selecting a game save).

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just a quick question. I have a Wii u with the game pad but the game pad seems to be struggling to keep connection with the Wii u. I never use it anyway as I only play on tv, but wanted to know is it possible to still play games with the game pad display off? I’ve tried wind waker hd and my pro controller needed charging so I went to use the gamepad and an error about communications with the gamepad was displayed. Just want to know will this happen with a pro controller as this is the first time I’ve had this error. Thanks again
Why not try and fix the issue as to why the pad loses connection.

There are numerous reasons why the pad could be losing connection and I have experienced a lot of them first hand.

Do you have a mobile/cell phone near you when using the pad? Doing so has gave me major connection issues in the past. I either need to put my phone on the other side of the room or switch it off.

Do you have your WiiU hdd on top or under your WiiU this has also gave me major issues in the past. Simply placing my hdd to the side of the WiiU fixes this problem.

Do you have any other electrical equipment on that is near the WiiU or gamepad. I have had issues in the past when my laptop was on at the same time as the WiiU? I also have connection issues when my satellite TV box is switched on.

It could also be a hardware issue but you should try out everything above first.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how helpful this will be, but while trying to help someone in @Kafluke 's cbhc hardmod guide, the gamepad wouldn't make a connection after reflashing the nand. I wasn't sure what was wrong, but he found the culprit. the wifi had slightly gotten dislodged when he put the system back together. he was getting no connection though, not intermittent. it's possible something could be affecting it.

my gamepad is two shelves down from my wii u, sitting on the same shelf as my vwii hdd. I've never had connection issues with it, but I usually just leave it on the charging cradle. I prefer playing with the wiimote or pro controller, because I'm always afraid of breaking the gamepad by dropping it or something, same reason I don't play the switch in portable mode. I read of someone who broke his gamepad after he set it on the floor, then accidentally rocked his chair back, crushing the screen.

Reactions: AmandaRose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1