Hacking Wii U System Update 5.0 released

D

Deleted User

That's true. Though like I mentioned, I have the update settings disabled, and turn of the WiFI when not in use. I only update when I need the e-Shop, which will force the update on me anyways. I just like being able to control the update. So v5 doesn't break vWii if it's been hacked?

D

Deleted User

Looks okay. Updated to 5.0U and vWii still works fine. Syscheck looks identical to 4.1, no IOS changes/upgrades.

However, the quick start feature requires you to enable standby options - so if you care to use it - make sure your WiFi is off.

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo constantly aims to improve the functionality of its systems and services in order to provide the easiest, most user-friendly experience possible. As a part of these efforts, we are making Wii U™ system updates available for download via the Internet.
Your Wii U system and software are not designed for use with any unauthorized device and/or any unauthorized software. Please note that the Nintendo warranties do not cover any defects to or defects caused by unauthorized devices, software, modifications and/or non-licensed accessories. Furthermore such use may cause performance issues and/or damage to your Wii U system and related services. Nintendo (as well as Nintendo licensees or distributors) is not responsible for any damage or loss caused by the use of such devices, software, modifications or non-licensed accessories.
IMPORTANT: After the Wii U system is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system may be removed. Failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.
Wii U system updates can be received automatically when connected to the Internet. When the download is complete, you will receive a dialog on the Wii U Menu detailing the steps to install the update.

is nintendo warning the users for WiiKeyU?

YellowYoYos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't we have auto update or auto download updates turned off but have stand by turned on? For use of the quick start menu without fear of an auto update? I can quite remember all the options in the setting menus.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like that it will install a firmware update when the WiiU is in standby. Eugh. Disabled standby while on 4.x

Then don't keep it in standby...? Turn it off completely (holding the power down for five seconds)

So...um.... is vWii safe?

Someone mentioned that Wii backups still work on here, so yes

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well as mentioned in Fail0verflow's presentation a while back, they mentioned that the web browser would be the only way that you would get an exploit of any kind, since there's not a No-Execute(NX) on that particular program. And they did update the Wii U's Web Browser from 4.1.0 to 5.0.0 so I think it would be more accurate to say it is very likely that the Wii U side is not safe but I don't know for sure, and unless you want to take that risk you should stay on 4.1.0.

D

Deleted User

Got it. Was curious if you meant a terrible FW update like a couple of the old PS3 ones that bricked systems. I think I can live with not having any WiiU exploits. I'll update the post, even though I just noticed there was a thread in the other forum.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well they did update the driver/library/whatever for the Gamepad, I assume to support the adapter or something, according to what I saw when updating.
EDIT: Just occurred to me that they probably updated the tiny amount of memory on the gamepad to support reading the home button for the quick start menu, that makes a lot more sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air.