Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The people working on this stuff are free to do what they want with it. If they want to make piracy difficult then they have the right to do so.

Just be greatful that people are in fact working on hacking the Wii U at all.

This is all being done in peoples free time and nobody is getting paid for any of this.

Piracy exploits are inevitable no matter what, but some of the people here are pro piracy while others are against it. Its up to the developers to decide whether or not they want to make piracy difficult.

Lets just be glad that this is being worked on at all :).

Keep calm and hack the Wii U
Hopefully it's open source so if there are any limitations we can remove them :evil:
I took the liberty of moving these

Continue on

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you.

No problem

Anyway, the main issues with that are a) an open-sourced exploit is a big, red, waving flag pointed at Nintendo that says "LOOK! I'M EXPLOITABLE! PATCH ME!" (as per NWPlayer123 in the main thread), and b) there's nothing to reverse-engineer in the first place. It is a kernel level exploit that will never lead to piracy on its own (without the help of a higher exploit). The reason its obfuscated is not to protect Nintendo from pirates, but to protect the hackers from Nintendo (again, as per NWPlayer)

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem

Anyway, the main issues with that are a) an open-sourced exploit is a big, red, waving flag pointed at Nintendo that says "LOOK! I'M EXPLOITABLE! PATCH ME!" (as per NWPlayer123 in the main thread), and b) there's nothing to reverse-engineer in the first place. It is a kernel level exploit that will never lead to piracy on its own (without the help of a higher exploit). The reason its obfuscated is not to protect Nintendo from pirates, but to protect the hackers from Nintendo (again, as per NWPlayer)
I thought it was because of ~morals~ like in the 3ds scene. Nice to know that's not true :yayu: cough cfw cough

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was because of ~morals~ like in the 3ds scene. Nice to know that's not true :yayu: cough cfw cough

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's DEFINITELY because of morals (if they didn't care, they'd probably be looking into an IOSU exploit, but that'd take longer so I guess the tradeoff is better)

As for CFW, I don't see it happening yet. It would be cool, but I don't know if it's achievable with only kernel level permissions and no SD access on a PPC device

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's DEFINITELY because of morals (if they didn't care, they'd probably be looking into an IOSU exploit, but that'd take longer so I guess the tradeoff is better)

As for CFW, I don't see it happening yet. It would be cool, but I don't know if it's achievable with only kernel level permissions and no SD access on a PPC device

As long as they're not teasing it or purposely restricting it I'm ok with that.
Hopefully somebody else will make a "backup" loader and release it :yayu:

Would an IOSU exploit be of any use for homebrew? Just curious.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as they're not teasing it or purposely restricting it I'm ok with that.
Hopefully somebody else will make a "backup" loader and release it :yayu:

Would an IOSU exploit be of any use for homebrew? Just curious.

Yes. (Fair warning: I need to go to bed soon, so this next bit will probably be me vomiting halfway-accurate information that may or may not be reliable)
So if I recall correctly, IOSU handles ALL hardware (aside from the Starbuck, of course), so if you have an IOSU exploit, you should be able to make an effective homebrew launcher that actually loads off of an SD card or USB device. This MAY lead to piracy, but most likely not, or at least not in a way that would be super-convenient to the end user. It WOULD allow for more powerful homebrew running on all cores of the CPU and GPU that are NOT web based. It would NOT allow us to actually install anything to the console, as we would have to defeat the Starbuck (Cafe's security system) to do that

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. (Fair warning: I need to go to bed soon, so this next bit will probably be me vomiting halfway-accurate information that may or may not be reliable)
So if I recall correctly, IOSU handles ALL hardware (aside from the Starbuck, of course), so if you have an IOSU exploit, you should be able to make an effective homebrew launcher that actually loads off of an SD card or USB device. This MAY lead to piracy, but most likely not, or at least not in a way that would be super-convenient to the end user. It WOULD allow for more powerful homebrew running on all cores of the CPU and GPU that are NOT web based. It would NOT allow us to actually install anything to the console, as we would have to defeat the Starbuck (Cafe's security system) to do that
Starbuck and IOSU are essentially one in the same. They act as a half ***ed hypervisor overseeing the overall security of the Wii U. Especially when it vomes to backups.

There is at least one team i know of working on a software based backup loader right now. They're keeping pretty tight lipped about it atm fir obvious reasons...

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
Starbuck and IOSU are essentially one in the same. They act as a half ***ed hypervisor overseeing the overall security of the Wii U. Especially when it vomes to backups.

There is at least one team i know of working on a software based backup loader right now. They're keeping pretty tight lipped about it atm fir obvious reasons...

wiiflow-4U :) lol

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I pirate every US/J game for an exploited (or emulated) system. I'm learning Japaneses so I can organize/play the J games. I'm not interested in a secured game system. I also don't play the majority of the games I pirate. I just like collecting them. Every now and then a good one comes along and I buy it. Mainly Zelda and Nippon Ichi games.

I don't mind people putting AP into their exploits. I just don't understand why they lose it when someone else comes along with the same exploit minus the AP and becomes popular. Sure the AP nut found the exploit first, but I honestly don't care. If it's locked down, it's useless to me. The funny part is the AP nut; no matter how extreme, is still breaking the law in some way. Geohot was still in deep crap despite leaving out the pirate poke. Peoples houses were raided etc and they didn't have a single pirated game. They didn't even have Sony code. So AP people are weird to me. I say if you're going to do something illegal, do it all the way. No point it pissing two communities off.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard some mixed feelings about that game. The main one being that it should have been an iPhone game :glare:

Well, it's simplistic enough, but I don't think simplistic game play should equate to mobile or casual gaming. It's a puzzle game, which suit mobile devices well enough, but I do love puzzle games getting some console loving. That and it looks absolutely gorgeous, which would be an incredible shame to play on a tiny screen.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Nym5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My only concern about piracy on Wii U is about how bad it would hurt the small amount of "non nintendo" good games that we have.
I'll use Bayonetta 2 as an example. The game is a blast and one of the best actions games I've played last year but the sells where not even nearly as good as it should/could be.
That makes me think: If from the small amount of people buying those games we actually starts to decrease it's numbers because of piracy how long it will be until we have almost none "non nintendo" good games to play there?
I am not "anti-piracy" and am actually a little excited about the so expected hacking development on the console but considering how the situation on Wii U is still a little delicate I fear it's consequences.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My only concern about piracy on Wii U is about how bad it would hurt the small amount of "non nintendo" good games that we have.
I'll use Bayonetta 2 as an example. The game is a blast and one of the best actions games I've played last year but the sells where not even nearly as good as it should/could be.
That makes me think: If from the small amount of people buying those games we actually starts to decrease it's numbers because of piracy how long it will be until we have almost none "non nintendo" good games to play there?
I am not "anti-piracy" and am actually a little excited about the so expected hacking development on the console but considering how the situation on Wii U is still a little delicate I fear it's consequences.

It's best just not to think about it.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
doubt that many people will exploit their Wii U if/when the exploit is released, a good 90% of people think hacking consoles is illegal and wouldn't go near GBAtemp, ever. And tons of people are 100% anti-piracy and many Wii U owners/main users are like what, 8-12? Doubt they're going to try to hack it. I don't think little Johnny's mom will either.

Reactions: ptitleray

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's best just not to think about it.

I dunno, I personally believe in listening to everyone's opinions, and Nym raises a fair point. Sure, the effect won't be NEAR as drastic as he makes it out to be, but the 2nd and 3rd party Wii U developers really can't afford much less sales than they're currently getting

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...