Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Exactly; there is NO WAY you can, as a highly visible group of developers, 'enable piracy' and get away with it. The usual career-hungry-I-don't-give-an-f-about-justice prosecutor's way of handling this is drum up a crazy number of charges (a la the Aaron Swartz case), have one of the group roll over and get away "easy" and make an example of the rest.

And, on the other hand, it's also not a devs' duty to police the use of a homebrew launcher by "authenticating" the apps that are being run (by enforcing a digital signature and having devs send in source of their app so it can be vetted, compiled, and signed... needless to say WUDLoader GX and WiiUflow need not apply).

People will always have different opinions on what "is right"; some people believe a copyright and a patent should have an equal term (20 years) as there's really no difference between an inventor spending years working on and perfecting an invention and a musician/author/developer doing what they do. But for some reason Dr. Martin Luther King's children and grandschildren still OWN his speeches and DECIDE who can publish them and where, long after his death, and for a long time to come. And all because the British caved in to the French just around the time Geronimo surrendered... sneakily perpetuated in a series of inter-locking "trade agreements" with no to little democratic input (just the usual "swallow or suffocate" when everything has already been decided by commercial interests).

So yeah, I fully agree that people should not even think about asking for any kind of 'loader'. We can count ourselves lucky if devs aren't going "devolution" on us.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly; there is NO WAY you can, as a highly visible group of developers, 'enable piracy' and get away with it. The usual career-hungry-I-don't-give-an-f-about-justice prosecutor's way of handling this is drum up a crazy number of charges (a la the Aaron Swartz case), have one of the group roll over and get away "easy" and make an example of the rest.

And, on the other hand, it's also not a devs' duty to police the use of a homebrew launcher by "authenticating" the apps that are being run (by enforcing a digital signature and having devs send in source of their app so it can be vetted, compiled, and signed... needless to say WUDLoader GX and WiiUflow need not apply).

People will always have different opinions on what "is right"; some people believe a copyright and a patent should have an equal term (20 years) as there's really no difference between an inventor spending years working on and perfecting an invention and a musician/author/developer doing what they do. But for some reason Dr. Martin Luther King's children and grandschildren still OWN his speeches and DECIDE who can publish them and where, long after his death, and for a long time to come. And all because the British caved in to the French just around the time Geronimo surrendered... sneakily perpetuated in a series of inter-locking "trade agreements" with no to little democratic input (just the usual "swallow or suffocate" when everything has already been decided by commercial interests).

So yeah, I fully agree that people should not even think about asking for any kind of 'loader'. We can count ourselves lucky if devs aren't going "devolution" on us.
A homebrew loader that "verifies" homebrew apps defeats the entire purpose, having the freedom to do what YOU (the end user) whatever you want with your own stuff (devices).

Sure some people will use said launcher for unlawful purposes, but others will refuse to, its a matter of personal choice.

This may be a bit of a bad comparison, but a homebrew launcher, is a tool much like a handgun. You can use the handgun responsibly (self defense etc), or to rob a bank etc...

Again, not the best comparison but its all i could think of right now, not too mention, but it does get the point across :P

Reactions: Margen67

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

Good thing that's the 3DS scene then. Recall the Wii Scene, if you will. Was any action taken towards the backup loader people?

Reactions: Margen67

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
well for all there is a way for example you could leak the files via a public used pc connected to the net or via a wifi from a hotel without even entering the hotel,or public accessed networks ,there are so many ways of untraceable leaks but mostly i see only the bragging.....

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
I've never known such a mad debate on piracy. At the end of the day, it's a gaming console. Who cares if devs make a loader for backups. It's their choice. There are bigger issues in this world other than a small minority of people in the gaming market running backups on their consoles. Let's just support the devs in what ever they decide to do & get on with it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never known such a mad debate on piracy. At the end of the day, it's a gaming console. Who cares if devs make a loader for backups. It's their choice. There are bigger issues in this world other than a small minority of people in the gaming market running backups on their consoles. Let's just support the devs in what ever they decide to do & get on with it.

There was a bigger one in the main hacking thread, invoking the response of this thread. I agree with you, at bare minimum of what my feelings are; I don't give a schiz what ya'll do, as long as it doesn't affect me :rofl:

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree on the bragging part. The entire 'i totally could do it, but it's ethically wrong so i'm not doing it' gets boring by the minute.
There has been so much talk, but never proof in the end. The only people that are proving anything in the 'hacking discussion' right now are NWPlayer and his team. As a result someone even donated a Wii U and promised even more financial support if piracy gets enabled. I'm pretty sure that if the people that claim to have stuff in the works would come forward, then they would be supported eventually as well which normally leads to additional (financial) support resulting in greater motivation. People also tend to overlook that the motivation behind piracy itself may lead to faster progress on the homebrew front or is anyone seriously thinking that progress would be this fast if Hykem didn't get a Wii U?!

If piracy gets fully enabled, then that's great. If not then we simply have to adapt. For example: if a game is overpriced from the start and doesn't drop in a reasonable timeframe (in germany the price usually increases instead of droping due to limited prints for whatever bloody reason), then there are two options for me. If theres a loader then i will pirate it and eventually get a used copy later on for an apple and an egg. If piracy is not possible, then i simply ditch it. If there are not enough fair priced games at the end of the life spawn of the console, then i skip the next generation. Either way the developers will not gain a cent from me if their products are not within a reasonable price range.
That said before someone claims that i wouldn't buy any games in the end: so far i bought the New Super Marios U Bundle, Bayonetta Special Edition, Hyrule Warriors, MH3U, MK8 and SSBU and a couple of e-shop titles.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like it either, and I don't plan to make it routine. I just do it to people who claim to know more than they do.

When have I ever claimed to know anything past basic knowledge of the scene? I'm not a dev or a hacker, I only pay attention to what's been going on and occasionally speculate on what the future may hold.

Reactions: Margen67 and 2Hack

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a dev or a hacker, I only pay attention to what's been going on and occasionally speculate on what the future may hold.
youre all good, ti.

'member why you made this thread? because the discussion of hacking kept turning to piracy? i just found it somewhat humorous that the opposite, or the same really, thing happened here.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We map the loader as R/W, so yes, of course it is. That's how we plan to replace it :P
EDIT: Actually I'm not sure how much the loader handles and how much IOSU handles

The loader you're thinking of handles the executable loading, but title loading is still completely IOSU's domain. It's pretty likely that an IOSU exploit is needed for region free.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't understand this. I thought my younger brother from the day he was ready to play games, how to hold a game, and how to insert it, and why this and that is so bad. All my discs are scratch-less and he's still only 7.

I want to be able to back up my games to the HDD and play them off there. I love digital games, since they are all on screen, and easy to select. I actually bought windwaker twice to have the disc and digital copy ^.^
I can understand that viewpoint and probably held it before I had two boys with relatively poor fine motor skills , ADHD, and just come to find out in the past month they are on the low end of the Autism spectrum. Now that they are a bit older I let them handle the WII U disks but it would have been a nightmare 6 years ago with the WII.

They are trainable but clumbsy as all hell.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
When have I ever claimed to know anything past basic knowledge of the scene? I'm not a dev or a hacker, I only pay attention to what's been going on and occasionally speculate on what the future may hold.
Exactly! These guys are four times as totally insane as any of us.
I can understand that viewpoint and probably held it before I had two boys with relatively poor fine motor skills , ADHD, and just come to find out in the past month they are on the low end of the Autism spectrum. Now that they are a bit older I let them handle the WII U disks but it would have been a nightmare 6 years ago with the WII.

They are trainable but clumbsy as all hell.
Ahh, you bring up a good point. :)

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have two cats and an 11-year-old sister who refuses to put disks back in their cases... I don't think I need to elaborate
Damn >.>.>>.>.>.>.>

The cats, I get, but the sister? She's 11 already, why doesn't she put them back? To spite you? Lazy?

Actually, now that you mention it, my older brother(at the time, 17-18) refused to put them back. Drove me nuts.

I don't get ppl sometimes...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn >.>.>>.>.>.>.>

The cats, I get, but the sister? She's 11 already, why doesn't she put them back? To spite you? Lazy?

Actually, now that you mention it, my older brother(at the time, 17-18) refused to put them back. Drove me nuts.

I don't get ppl sometimes...

Not so much to spite me, just because she thinks she'll use them soon again so she leaves them out... I guess?? But yeah, that's why I would like a backup loader, even if it had verification. I like having disks, but I don't want to risk having them scratched up, and I like just being able to boot up the machine and going straight to the game

Reactions: Margen67 and 2Hack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1