wii u or wii for homebrew?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ImaN00B, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ImaN00B
    OP

ImaN00B Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2011
    United States
    So with tax season coming up i have a purchasing decision to make, and with flash-karts being new and pricey for 3DS I've decided on Wii or Wii U. The only deciding factor is really the home-brew/backup support. I know you can't play backups of Wii u games yet, but for regular Wii games, is the Wii u just as compatible as Wii? if not, how does it compare? what's the risk of bricking Wii compared to Wii u, and how easy is it to repair if that does happen? thanks in advance for your advice and help, also, links to necessary guides would be nice but not necessary, I've looked around on forums but there's so much i don't know it's a little overwhelming

2. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    For a start regular Wii's are sold for like 40 / 50 bucks. Complete with remotes and then more... so a Wii is always nice. You can easily mod it without to many difficult steps. Further more most Wii's can be restored pretty easily when using Nand backup programs.

Wii U on the other hand is not hacked yet... the vWii is but it is not 1:1 similar then the normal Wii. Some iOS pieces are changed and are different. Personally I would stay away for now from hacking your vWii on the Wii U.

How to mod a normal Wii is easy to find here:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/

3. Zacharybinx34

Zacharybinx34 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2010
    United States
    Wii U.

vWii works fine with all homebrew.

4. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    Wii U is superior in every way but cost.

5. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    I actually found modding the wiiu easier than modding the original wii. Quicker and easier:blink:

6. Redneck hick

Redneck hick Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2014
    United States
    Ditto