Hacking Wii U optical drive

What optical drive technology will be inside Wii U?

• HD DVD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blu-ray

• Other

• Total voters

mike333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo will use existing technology.
It must be cheap so no or very limited royalty payment.
Please note that new Wii won't play any DVD, HDDVD, Blu-Ray, video cd media.
You won't see any dvd/hd movie logo on Wii U.

This topic is for fun only.

Some random thoughts:
- hd dvd is abandoned which means is very cheap technology
- blu ray is common so optical mechanism (lens etc.) might be cheap
- someone from N at E3 said that disc will hold 25GB of data (looks like blu ray)
- does anyone knows licensing costs for Blu-ray (hd dvd) divided into categories: media itself, copy protection, mpeg4, bluray java, logo on device
- no, and once again no, Wii U won't play any movies off existing media with proprietary logo on it

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Existing technology? Cheap? No movie logo?

Say no more... I know EXACTLY what technology the wiiu will use for their games:

toaster.jpg

Indeed. You heard it here first: nintendo will write their games on slices of bread. The patent of making bread is centuries old, so there are no legal fees, copyright claims or logo to take into account. It's much more environmental friendly, helps fight the hunger in the world and even the worst game ever created can still serve as a nice, delicious sandwich.

The cheap manifacturing cost is a plus. In fact, it will allow you to buy your games not only in your local gameshop anymore but also in your local bakery. In fact, I've already seen a line-up for a collector's edition of discs featuring all Mario games for the wiiu:

ist2_4414731-sliced-bread.jpg

Of course, nobody likes to have their consoles crash. Red rings of death or that other crash for the PS3 (can't remember the name right now) fill gamers with rage...but on the wiiu, this frustration is lessened quite a bit because at least the wiiu will offer you a nice slice of toast.

But wait...there is more. This new technology of writing on bread will provide an extraordinary challenge to hackers, who will be forced to learn new programming languages, starting with "cooking 101". Nintendo is confident that it will at least take a year before the first custom disk will be able to produced, as their secret ingredients to their bread are much harder to crack.

And lets not forget the expansions. Of course nintendo won't tell anyone about this NOW, but in order to really beef up your gaming experience, they will come up with a special white mixture which can be applied on top of the discs for an even smoother gaming experience than before. Just check out this photograph, taken from the top secret testing facilities of Nintendo:

istockphoto_2867630-bread-and-butter.jpg

And lemme tell you: the launch games will be MUCH better than that of the 3DS. No half-assed stuff. No...all real gems, guaranteed that everyone will want to take a bite out of.
smile.gif

So tell me...is this the best thing since sliced bread or what?
yaywii.gif

D

Deleted_171835

Probably a proprietary optical disc format like with the Wii and Gamecube.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
technical: A Blue Ray Drive, because Nintendo will use well tested and cheap hardware and will not develop an own system.

logical: Other disc format: I will not read standard blue ray discs to avoid backup loaders.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
who cares? oh c'mon, BlueRay players are dirt cheap now anyway, and DVD players, well every household has atleast 3 lol.

They have created their OWN large storage Disks which only compare to BR due to their size, but i bet the drive has a fantastic reader, quiet, strong, a extremely powerful lens that hopefully never suffers from any kind of problems.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UranusKiller said:
who cares? oh c'mon, BlueRay players are dirt cheap now anyway, and DVD players, well every household has atleast 3 lol.

They have created their OWN large storage Disks which only compare to BR due to their size, but i bet the drive has a fantastic reader, quiet, strong, a extremely powerful lens that hopefully never suffers from any kind of problems.

Well said. I am going to miss my GC controller though
frown.gif

naved.islam14

Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™
Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
Existing technology? Cheap? No movie logo?

Say no more... I know EXACTLY what technology the wiiu will use for their games:

toaster.jpg

Indeed. You heard it here first: nintendo will write their games on slices of bread. The patent of making bread is centuries old, so there are no legal fees, copyright claims or logo to take into account. It's much more environmental friendly, helps fight the hunger in the world and even the worst game ever created can still serve as a nice, delicious sandwich.

The cheap manifacturing cost is a plus. In fact, it will allow you to buy your games not only in your local gameshop anymore but also in your local bakery. In fact, I've already seen a line-up for a collector's edition of discs featuring all Mario games for the wiiu:

ist2_4414731-sliced-bread.jpg

Of course, nobody likes to have their consoles crash. Red rings of death or that other crash for the PS3 (can't remember the name right now) fill gamers with rage...but on the wiiu, this frustration is lessened quite a bit because at least the wiiu will offer you a nice slice of toast.

But wait...there is more. This new technology of writing on bread will provide an extraordinary challenge to hackers, who will be forced to learn new programming languages, starting with "cooking 101". Nintendo is confident that it will at least take a year before the first custom disk will be able to produced, as their secret ingredients to their bread are much harder to crack.

And lets not forget the expansions. Of course nintendo won't tell anyone about this NOW, but in order to really beef up your gaming experience, they will come up with a special white mixture which can be applied on top of the discs for an even smoother gaming experience than before. Just check out this photograph, taken from the top secret testing facilities of Nintendo:

istockphoto_2867630-bread-and-butter.jpg

And lemme tell you: the launch games will be MUCH better than that of the 3DS. No half-assed stuff. No...all real gems, guaranteed that everyone will want to take a bite out of.
smile.gif

So tell me...is this the best thing since sliced bread or what?
yaywii.gif
OT: That's so funny. OT: It'll most likely be DVD.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it won't be brd it will never be brd sony will be the ONLY one who ever puts brd in their consoles. what will be in the Wu is their own brand of an optical disc and it holds 25gb.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD