Hardware Wii U Help - Won't Boot Past Startup

Outrider89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I'm having some issues with my Wii U and could really use a hand. I got the system new shortly after it was released and up until a couple months ago it was working fine. I've never modded it and it has all original parts.

I started getting error messages on a couple of games which would crash unexpectedly - I think Smash Bros. and maybe an eShop game. Didn't think much of it, but then a couple weeks later I went to turn the system on and it never got past the startup "Wii U" logo. I tried the usual fixes - rebooting, unplugging, powering on without the gamepad nearby, and holding "B" to boot to the Wii menu. No luck. I even tried replacing the little CMOS battery last week. Nothing.

I'd really like to find a way to fix it because it has all of my old Wii system files and eShop games on it. If anyone has any tips/advice I'd really appreciate it. And worst case if it's dead, I'd appreciate any advice on how I may be able to salvage those files.

Thanks so much, hope one of you has the answer!

Last edited by Outrider89,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Welcome to GBAtemp and to the Wii U Section.

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with my Wii U and could really use a hand. I got the system new shortly after it was released and up until a couple months ago it was working fine. I've never modded it and it has all original parts.

I started getting error messages on a couple of games which would crash unexpectedly - I think Smash Bros. and maybe an eShop game. Didn't think much of it, but then a couple weeks later I went to turn the system on and it never got past the startup "Wii U" logo. I tried the usual fixes - rebooting, unplugging, powering on without the gamepad nearby, and holding "B" to boot to the Wii menu. No luck. I even tried replacing the little CMOS battery last week. Nothing.

I'd really like to find a way to fix it because it has all of my old Wii system files and eShop games on it. If anyone has any tips/advice I'd really appreciate it. And worst case if it's dead, I'd appreciate any advice on how I may be able to salvage those files.

Thanks so much, hope one of you has the answer!

I am very sorry to hear that and maybe there is no more Solution....

If you said,the Wii U is unmodded,then it is maybe really Hardware related...

- You have tried the Power Cycle.
- Maybe you can try and wait 20 - 30 Minutes on the WiI U Logo,maybe something happens...
- Any USB Devices are unplugged ?
- Please try turning off the Wii U by holding the Power Button on the Wii U (for a few Seconds).
- Then you can try and unplug your Battery from the Wii U Pad (because your Pad and Wii U searches always for it) and power the Wii U on with its Power Button.

Good Luck.
Thank you.:)

Reactions: jeannotte

Outrider89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.:)

Welcome to GBAtemp and to the Wii U Section.

I am very sorry to hear that and maybe there is no more Solution....

If you said,the Wii U is unmodded,then it is maybe really Hardware related...

- You have tried the Power Cycle.
- Maybe you can try and wait 20 - 30 Minutes on the WiI U Logo,maybe something happens...
- Any USB Devices are unplugged ?
- Please try turning off the Wii U by holding the Power Button on the Wii U (for a few Seconds).
- Then you can try and unplug your Battery from the Wii U Pad (because your Pad and Wii U searches always for it) and power the Wii U on with its Power Button.

Good Luck.
Thank you.:)

Thanks for the suggestions. Sadly have tried all of those, no luck. :wink:

Some other things to note - it will accept discs and the eject button works. If I plug in the Wii U controller it does charge it when I power on the system. But still won't get past that startup screen.

I have tools to open the system but I'm not sure what I would even be looking for. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Reactions: Alexander1970

BigDD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have my sons completely disassembled motherboard in hand looking for broken/ burnt solder points anything disconnected, overheated or anything possibly physically wrong any ideas before we scrap it ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8