Wii U HDMI RGB Range

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by pavachan, Mar 12, 2017.

1. pavachan
    OP

pavachan Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2010
    Iceland
    Hello

The Wii U outputs limited RGB Range through HDMI.
    Because my screen doesnt handle that well, I wanted to ask if there is some soft of homebrew or hack that forces the wii u to output at full range.

I tried looking for one, with no luck.

Thanks

2. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    France
  3. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
  4. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    @ kiiwii

I simply said to try :D ;)

Last edited by jeannotte, Mar 12, 2017
  5. pavachan
    OP

pavachan Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2010
    Iceland
    I see, thank you

6. Trylk248

Trylk248 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    Well according to this... It's basically 720p, but it ALSO SUPPORTS 1080p. So, watch out! :)

7. Wantija

Wantija Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2014
    Canada
    There is none, only way to deal with it is turn on limited RGB range settings on your TV/monitor when you're playing on the Wii U.

8. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar GBAtemp Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    It may also be called "HDMI black level" in your monitor or TV on screen display settings. If so, set it to low.

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    The RGB range option only applies to HDMI. YPbPr (component video) doesn't have this issue, so if you're getting a washed out image on HDMI because your display only supports Full Range, try YPbPr instead.

I'm still annoyed that Nintendo did not add a way to configure RGB range on Wii U, and it's likely they never will. It might be possible for some homebrew to enable Full Range on the HDMI encoder, but that would require reverse-engineering the GPU and/or HDMI registers.

(Technical note: HDMI "Limited Range" is a holdover from SDI's YCbCr encoding where the Y channel is limited to 16-235; other values are used as control codes. YPbPr, aka component video, is analog, so it doesn't have this problem.)

10. Trylk248

Trylk248 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    What cables do you wanna use? And also, is it your monitor/screen that doesn't support some features or is it the cable?

Answering these questions will allow us to determine what we can do from there.

11. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar GBAtemp Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    I noticed that on my PC, before I started using MPC-HC, when I used to use VLC media player, it would default at this washed out colours. And I had to override it in nvidia control panel like this:

http://imgur.com/a/UcXFk

12. Kaneco

Kaneco GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    The Wii2HDMI Analog (Composite/Component) to Digital (HDMI) converter only properly takes in 480i/p resolution dimensions... and upscales them to 720p or 1080p resolutions.

You'll be wasting your money if you try using this dongle to get a Full RGB range, when the picture will still look blurry when outputting at 480p while it's upscaled to a higher resolution.

If you try to set the setting to 720p and pass it through the converter, the converter will only provide with a 'part' of the screen. The converter doesn't actually auto-detect the full picture signal, it just pretends all signals going through it are under the 480p resolution size & upscales it from there... hence only cropping a part of the signal that's bigger than 480p.

Also, tweaking the 'screen size' option won't help... because it won't let you tweak width & height to however way you like because it has strict 'aspect ratio' constraints enforced.

Don't bother, I have one of these & play tested it. Not worth it. Better wait for a hardmod &/or softmod option for your troubles. ;)

Osakasan likes this.
  13. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    It depends on the converter.
    http://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_295555.html
    I bought this one for my old Wii and at first I was a bit disappointed when I saw that it didn't do any upscaling despite saying "1080p" on it. Then I plugged it in my Wii U and I was surprised to see it does actually support native 1080p from the Wii U!

It's kind of a last resort, though, as the quality isn't the best anyway. I recommend getting component cables (original ones, if possible).