Hardware Wii U HD-cable only?

ThommyDude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Greetings everyone,
I remember seeing somewhere that the WiiU will come with a HD-cable to plug into your TV.
HOWEVER, my TV doesn't HAVE a port for that kind of cable. Does that mean I'll have to buy a new TV, or can I play it anyway but just on the Upad?

Depending on the answer I may have to cancel my plans of buying it early, because I don't have enough money for BOTH a new TV and a WiiU...

Thanks in advance,
Thommy

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U only comes with an HDMI cable. It does have a slot for a component/composite cable though, so worst case you can buy one of those. Not sure if it's the same cable the Wii uses, if so, that'd be pretty sweet.

I've heard that not all games allow playing solely on the Gamepad, so I'd guess you have to have a TV for some stuff.

ThommyDude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm pretty sure not all games work on the Upad only yeah. But I hope most of them do.
In that case I DO indeed hope that its the same cables.
Thank you very much VLAlucard!

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
component/composite is like VHS. DEAD

..unless you have an SD TV, and using HDMI isn't an option.

Here's a picture of the back of a Wii U. The "video out" next to HDMI is where you'd plug in the component/composite cable. Does anyone know if it's the same as the Wii?
Wii-U-Back-Ports-hdmi-usb-video-out-power-sensor-bar.jpg

ThommyDude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So I wont even have to buy any new cables? sweet :D
Thanks for the info everyone! I can now happily buy myself a WiiU when its released here in europe!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hope it will accept both at the same time :D
PS3 added the possibility on later firmware to connect both at the same time, allowing Audio output to be broadcasted to TV through HDMI and to any Audio device through Component/Composite cable.
I'm using my PC's speakers which are better quality than the low speaker from the TV, and converting Stereo to 5.1 by software at the same time, so it would be great to have both simultaneously :)

It's not a real 5.1, but it's better than plain stereo from TV speakers.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about using HDMI for video and the component/composite's white and red for a speaker system (like how the PS3 can do it)? (Let's be honest, who would want to use TV speakers over a powerful subwoofer?)

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hope it will accept both at the same time :D
PS3 added the possibility on later firmware to connect both at the same time, allowing Audio output to be broadcasted to TV through HDMI and to any Audio device through Component/Composite cable.
I'm using my PC's speakers which are better quality than the low speaker from the TV, and converting Stereo to 5.1 by software at the same time, so it would be great to have both simultaneously :)

It's not a real 5.1, but it's better than plain stereo from TV speakers.

:o
YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!!!
My laptop has HDMI-in. So I can play the U on my alienware m17x, it also has 5.1 audio ports and my headset is also 5.1 (Roccat Kave 5.1).
I only don't know if audio is taken in trough the HDMI-in aswell, but if it is I can play in 5.1 :hrth:

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried it for the thread, and mine did not allow sound out thru the regualr nintendo connector when hdmi was hooked up, but it could be in settings, letting the tablet charge for a while before I really start working with it

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will tell you the sound from the tablet is pretty impressive. Havent tried the head phones yet on it, got to grab my beats and see what we get!!

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't find that reassuring TBH, I want to be able to use HDMI and the component's red and white through my speaker system. Is it REALLY that hard to implement. If the PS3 can do it, why not the Wii U?

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said MIGHT be in settings I just turned it on and let it run till I got sound in the tv speakers and tried the stereo and nothing. But there are a ton of settings I havent touched yet.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said MIGHT be in settings I just turned it on and let it run till I got sound in the tv speakers and tried the stereo and nothing. But there are a ton of settings I havent touched yet.

According to this, it's possible http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64612025?page=1

If not, what the hell am I supposed to do? My HDTV has a very limited no. of available inputs (and TV speakers sound like garbage for gaming.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo