Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U arrived today. What are the implications of not allowing it to update past 5.2? I assume it means no online play (not really important for now). What about patches for games (if any) or DLC?

My library for Christmas will be:
SSBB
MK8
3D World
Nintendo Land
Donkey Kong TF
LEGO City Undercover
Hyrule Warriors
New Super Mario Bros. U
Pikmin 3

Maybe Wind Waker HD if I can find a deal.

As long as you don't connect to the internet, it shouldn't bug you about needing to update to play the game, which is a good thing because mine refused to let me play MK8 until I updated and downloaded the latest patch for it. As for implications, yeah, that's pretty much it. You wouldn't be able to access DLC either.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I spent some time searching what game patches are available and what they do but came up empty.

I don't want to hold off updating the games if doing so would cause frustration or an lessened experience for my kids, on the possibility of an exploit some time in the future.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I could find out what the bugs are in the games and how serious they are?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, we know better now. Hykem has said it's unpatched, but MN1 has yet to check himself. No word yet on 5.3.1 yet, but 5.3.0 /should/ be fine.

Are you saying I still have a chance at something on 5.3.0?. Should I pull the plug then and not update from now on. :)

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I spent some time searching what game patches are available and what they do but came up empty.

I don't want to hold off updating the games if doing so would cause frustration or an lessened experience for my kids, on the possibility of an exploit some time in the future.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I could find out what the bugs are in the games and how serious they are?

The smash "bug" is the worst of all. If the nand chip in your wii u is defective, it will brick/semi-brick, although nintendo would cover it. As long as you havent voided your warranty

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country

atTSK as well. Thank you, you have made my day!. I really thought I had lost out now and just that comment from you has given me a lift once again. If I have some hope on 5.3.0 that is great, something is really better than nothing for me at the moment. I have now disconnected done everything I can do. Congrats lads! :)

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
atTSK as well. Thank you, you have made my day!. I really thought I had lost out now and just that comment from you has given me a lift once again. If I have some hope on 5.3.0 that is great, something is really better than nothing for me at the moment. I have now disconnected done everything I can do. Congrats lads! :)

Thanks for your kind words, but I actually have zero to do with the kernel exploit currently being worked on :P. That's Marionumber1, NWPlayer123, WulfyStylez and maybe Chadderz

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, if you can help it, stay on as low a version as possible. Goes for any situation.

Mind you I'm quite confused myself but relieved at the same time thanks to you guys!. Reading the Homebrew sticky it does say that 5.3.0 has been broken and is no good anymore for homebrew but then I read here that is was OK if your on 5.3.0 so soon as I was told its OK to be on 5.3.0 I went asap and changed all my settings and unplugged my ethernet adapter etc.. on my wii u hanging on to some hope for the near future which I never had before. So how come its OK for 5.3.0 at this time and its changed?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mind you I'm quite confused myself but relieved at the same time thanks to you guys!. Reading the Homebrew sticky it does say that 5.3.0 has been broken and is no good anymore for homebrew but then I read here that is was OK if your on 5.3.0 so soon as I was told its OK to be on 5.3.0 I went asap and changed all my settings and unplugged my ethernet adapter etc.. on my wii u hanging on to some hope for the near future which I never had before. So how come its OK for 5.3.0 at this time and its changed?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-discussion.367489/page-76#post-5191006 It's better to stay on 5.2.0 if at all possible; if you chose to update, you wouldn't be able to choose 5.3.0, but it would jump straight to 5.3.1 which has the MK 8 YouTube fix and Amiibo support. I personally wouldn't risk it.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-discussion.367489/page-76#post-5191006 It's better to stay on 5.2.0 if at all possible; if you chose to update, you wouldn't be able to choose 5.3.0, but it would jump straight to 5.3.1 which has the MK 8 YouTube fix and Amiibo support. I personally wouldn't risk it.

No I am still on 5.3.0 at this moment on my WiiU I have not updated anymore since but I was told up above to 5.3.0 is guaranteed for something in the near future but how come the change?

Q: I want to update to the latest version but I don't want to miss out, am I safe in doing so?
A: NO. DO NOT UPDATE TO 5.3.0. The in-progress kernel exploit is now broken.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a Wii-U it sucked lol
    Even hacked it sucked lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    nah the Wii U wasn't bad
    +1
    the hardware is good
    The controller sucked
    it has good games, just not enough of them
    +2
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the indie games on wii u were amazing though
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    and also some of nintendo's first party games
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    some of the best selling games on the switch are wii u ports (that are priced way too high
    like come on 60 for a game thats a decade old??)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @ColdBlitz, i forgot breath of the wild released for the Wii u
    $60 for a game that's a decade old might be unheard of on PC but actually is not uncommon on consoles
    +1
    especially Nintendo because they only ever lower the price of games when they do a greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice re-release
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and the HD collections released for 7th gen consoles too
    but they don't seem to have done any of those for the switch yet and maybe never will
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I think we all forgot breath of the wild released for the wii u tbh
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1 game per copy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ I read that non-binary people identify as a blend of male and female. The point is i think i'm a blend of those and thus non binary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Non-binary people are those who don't identify themselves exclusively as male or female.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I don't identify as anything, unless I need to get on a plane then I show ID
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    👈 [homo, queer, fag, coksuker, etc......]
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I meant that I read that they can also identify as what i mentioned
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I identify as Long Rod Johnson, cause a cat called me that once.
    +2
    [takes a 👀 in your pants] Liar :angry:
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, and thus that would make me non binary since i feel like a blend of both male and female
    +1
    @Xdqwerty only time will tell, what/whom you are. At 14 is a bit young to "Define" yourself. :)
    +3
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: @Xdqwerty only time will tell, what/whom you are. At 14 is a bit young to "Define" yourself. :) +3