Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
does anyone have an idea of how nintendo catches wind of something once it's released? I know they must have a piracy control group or copyright group that hassles youtube jerks, do you think they track it down? Do they really have hands on deck that go through the exploit find something that they need to patch, then package it all up in an update that's released to millions of WiiU owners? That has to feel pretty cool being responsible for forcing a company as big of nintendo to pour so much time and effort fixing something you worked hard on, thus transiently effecting millions of people. Smealum got over on the guys behind Cubic Ninja though I suppose by kicking em off eShop. He also greatly increased their used cartridge sales, so if they had any inventory they hadn't berried in a land fill at that point they could finally cash in.
this exploit was found by them pure and simply by browsing the forums ( yes, it was already posted in one of these threads, specifically in here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/update-5-3-0.373967/page-4#post-5156261 )
if you don't blabber around too much then it doesn't get fixed ;)

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
this exploit was found by them pure and simply by browsing the forums ( yes, it was already posted in one of these threads, specifically in here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/update-5-3-0.373967/page-4#post-5156261 )
if you don't blabber around too much then it doesn't get fixed ;)
It's crazy how this guy actually was right. I thought he was some fake or something but the bug really was quite obvious after all. Luckily it works till 5.3.2 and there is stuff to look forward to.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's crazy how this guy actually was right. I thought he was some fake or something but the bug really was quite obvious after all. Luckily it works till 5.3.2 and there is stuff to look forward to.
well technically he was saying 5.3.0 patched it....while it was actually patched much later, if your going to reveal something you should at least make sure that what your revealing is in fact patched :rolleyes:

Bruno Nakayasu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the current focus of most of our exploit developers (me, Hykem, Matt) is IOSU.
This is what i wanted to hear (in this case read).
Keep it up MN1.

I don' get it why people keep rushing the developers for a release.
i was on 5.4.0, and i updated to 5.5.0, and i am patiently wating. For me online trumps homebrew at the moment.
at the moment that i heard that a firmware update is exploitable, i'll update, the scene now has nothing that i would use anyway.
It will be release when its ready, and im not complaining, i rather wait than have a wii u as a paper weight.
Its like batman arkham knight for pc.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone have an idea of how nintendo catches wind of something once it's released? I know they must have a piracy control group or copyright group that hassles youtube jerks, do you think they track it down? Do they really have hands on deck that go through the exploit find something that they need to patch, then package it all up in an update that's released to millions of WiiU owners? That has to feel pretty cool being responsible for forcing a company as big of nintendo to pour so much time and effort fixing something you worked hard on, thus transiently effecting millions of people. Smealum got over on the guys behind Cubic Ninja though I suppose by kicking em off eShop. He also greatly increased their used cartridge sales, so if they had any inventory they hadn't berried in a land fill at that point they could finally cash in.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if something is public enough, they'll catch wind of it via news sources. If you spend time on gaming sites outside of GBAtemp you'll realize that news about exploits is by no means isolated to us

nastys

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mii Maker has access too, and apparently the Wii U Menu does (I didn't think so, but that's what crediar told me). To everyone, USB storage access does not seem like it will be possible without IOSU access. Other USB devices probably work fine, but MCP has a lock on USB storage devices.
So you need any app with USB access? Then any app launched from a USB drive should work. From there it's possible to run the browser exploit or maybe exploit the game itself.

soniczx123

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone have any information of how file replacement is working for games like MK8 and Smash Wii U? @soneek hasn't reported back here in a while so information has been barren... :)

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, a hacked savefile would be stored on the eMMC and launching it would exploit the system.
At this point there is not much else ( edit :not sure what tbis was saying this forum leaves drafts and i guess forgot to delete or finish the thought)
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if something is public enough, they'll catch wind of it via news sources. If you spend time on gaming sites outside of GBAtemp you'll realize that news about exploits is by no means isolated to us
That's the thing the way i first heard of cubic ninja was on my google now feed. The guy did interviews and everything I had never seen anything like it before.

Last edited by TheZander,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: For @Flame