Wii U Games That Utilize The GamePad With Unique Features

CORE Jan 10, 2019.

1. CORE
    OP

CORE 3:16

Jul 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    As Title Says what Games actually use the GamePad for example Map Screen , Inventory Screen or other Features not just for Off Screen Play.

I guess I start with Zombiiu = Inventory and Map Comms.

Last edited by CORE, Jan 10, 2019
  2. Escorpion

Escorpion Balamb Seed

Aug 25, 2015
    Colombia
    Laguna Guatavita
    * Deus Ex Human Revolution, Map and Inventory, can´t be played without it.
    * Lego series games, such as Lego the Hobbit for example: interactive inventory.
    * Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE. Map, inventory, call and messages system. Can´t be played with off screen mode.
    * Xenoblade Chronicles X. The map and the possibility to teleport, that makes the gamepad essential.

CORE likes this.
  3. Garcimak

Garcimak Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2006
    Belgium
    Belgium
    * Art academy. Sketch pad
    * Assassins creed III/IV. Minimap, check every single mission/collectible/treasure/etc. godsend
    * Batman Arkham City. Map/inventory
    * Deus Ex. Map ?
    * Hyrule warriors. Switch weapon
    * Mass Effect. Sending team mates to defend areas.
    * MK8. Map
    * Nintendo land. Gyroscope, games
    * Pikmin 3. Map
    * RE Revelation. Map, inventory
    * Splattoon 2 player mode, map
    * splinter cell. rather significant hindrance
    * Starfox. Cockpit inner view
    * Zelda WW Map, inventory, magic spells

CORE likes this.
  4. djhayabusa

djhayabusa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2019
    United States
    New York
    This one is likely to not be mentioned, because it's not an amazing game, but Need for Speed: Most Wanted has a pretty ridiculous setup where you can tune your car's specs in real time with the gamepad in the middle of a race. It's an absurd idea, and not really that useful, but I appreciate the effort to incorporate the controller in a cool way instead of just a run-of-the-mill port.

CORE likes this.
  5. september796

september796 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I think it was like playing in god mode or something lol
    If I remember correctly you could even switch day/night in realtime, you could make the cops dissapear and things like that. It's great to have more options.

CORE likes this.
  6. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Fatal Frame V Maiden of the Black Water Take pictures of ghosts (which is what damages them) using the gamepad.

CORE likes this.
  7. bodefuceta

bodefuceta GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    Brazil
    PictoParty. Pictionary clone, Wii U makes it even better than the board game.
    Wonderful 101. Special moves are drawings, control a vehicle from a different pov than your party simultaneously in some areas.
    DS virtual console. Gamepad works as bottom screen.
    Those are the best usages of the gamepad I know of, all are awesome to play.

On the other hand: Bayonetta 1 and some other games. Use the Wii U pro controller to do everything but have to keep gamepad on or the game freezes.

Last edited by bodefuceta, Jul 21, 2019
    CORE likes this.
  8. HomeStarRunnerTron

HomeStarRunnerTron Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2019
    United States
    I second PictoParty! It might not be available to download on the store, but it's amazing. Look up "darkumbra pictoparty" for how to install it. (Game & Wario also has a wonderful Pictionary game, and plenty of other really fun Nintendo Land-esque Gamepad mini-games)

Some of my personal favourites I've found so far...

1) Affordable Space Adventures uses the Gamepad, along with two Wiimotes with nunchucks to play a kind of Star Trek-y Captain's Chair game where you manage resources (switching energy, turning on and off lights & motor) through a control panel on your Gamepad. Best co-op experience, seriously, so engrossing.
    2) Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party uses the Gamepad & four Wiimotes to perform hilarious & inventive party games. (One of the Gamepad games forces you & a partner not to smile on the camera, while both the game itself & all your friends try to make you laugh.)
    3) Wii Party U-- why isn't anyone talking about this game?! It just packs SO MUCH GOODNESS. In my opinion, it's like a Mario Party & Nintendo Land hybrid. It DEFINITELY did a Mario Party style game better than Mario Party 10. Great gamepad ideas-- there's one that uses the gyroscope in the gamepad to make you walk over to scoop up water from a stream & carry it carefully back to your pitcher, there's this really cool circle dancing one where you place the gamepad in the center of the screen & create a sort of Wiimote chain, a sort of Newlywed Game one that plays like Ubisoft's cancelled Know Your Friends game, a game where you use the Gamepad's gyroscope & describe your surroundings to other players so they can locate you, even a really cool spin on a Pictionary game in it! Perhaps my favourite is this hilarious Twister-esque game where you have to all gather around three Wiimotes & a gamepad & hold down/release buttons.
    4) 6180 the moon uses the Gamepad for infinite two-screen platforming, where you're jumping/falling back and forth between the screens.
    5) Typoman uses the Gamepad to solve cryptic word-based puzzles.
    6) Use Your Words uses the Gamepad/iOS devices/computers/etc. to participate in a kind of Apples to Apples kind of game, except you get to write your own punchlines. Seriously, one of the funniest/funnest games I've ever played.
    7) Tengami might seem like just a point-and-click at first, but it's actually more complicated than that-- it's a point-and-FLIP. There's plenty of puzzles in this that involve very deliberate flipping, and it feels SUPER good on a gamepad. Short experience that can be easily finished in an hour or so, but it felt satisfying to me. This one is also available on iOS!
    8) Chasing Aurora has excellent asynchronous gameplay by using the gamepad to have you play flying hide-and-seek & freeze tag games with the other players-- after every round, the game tells you to pass the gamepad to someone else.
    9) Puddle using the motion sensors in the Gamepad to tilt fluid through an obstacle course-- SUPER fun-- if you've ever played Fluidity on WiiWare, this is like a continuation!

(LIST LAST EDITED 10/18/2019)

Also, just going to second what's already been said about the Nintendo DS Virtual Console feature. Not only that, but the amount of injects possible are legendary. Like, if you're trying to play a Nintendo DS game and involve the rest of your friends or family in on it, there's no better way to show the action to everybody than to share it on your TV while playing on the Gamepad. We just finished playing Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective that way in my fAmily, and BOY, it was amazing.

There's also quite a few excellent point-and-click games using the gamepad. As an adventure game enthusiast, I feel like the Wii U is really ideal for that. Retroarch, c'mon, make your ScummVM port on Wii U run betterrr~

Last edited by HomeStarRunnerTron, Oct 19, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    september796, hshamsedin and CORE like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted