Wii U GamePad for PC Input

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by vashgs, Jan 28, 2013.

Jan 28, 2013

Wii U GamePad for PC Input by vashgs at 5:51 PM (5,399 Views / 7 Likes) 27 replies

1. vashgs
    OP

Member vashgs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello, tempers!

A couple of days ago I read a thread concerning the use of Wii U's GamePad as an input method on one's PC. All of the posts I read basically reiterated the same issue: "You need a hacked Wii U to better understand the data transfer protocol used with the GamePad."

I, for one, think that notion is just silly. We have a perfectly good web browser at our disposal, and I'm certainly not going to waste that potential. Now it is true that we can only use a limited amount of the GamePad's functionality from the web browser, it is still better than sitting around idly waiting for others to do the hacking.

And so, I present to you, my solution for GamePad input. I will update this post as I further develop it:

Current Progress: Full input support!
    Next Step: Public Release...

Current Video:

coolmario, actar, asper and 4 others like this.

2. kisamesama

Member kisamesama GBAtemp Regular

United States
    bright idea! looking foward for more progress! good job

3. julialy

Member julialy Homebrewer

United States
    great idea?

how did you connect the Gamepad?

4. vashgs
    OP

United States
    Local web server, javascript/html page on the GamePad side, javascript/html page on the PC side, both ends connect to a node server through js, npapi plugin on the pc end, node server communicates to the PC js/html page, which communicates with the npapi plugin to emulate mouse activity and key presses :)

ddrrmm likes this.
  5. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    You know, if you were to put this up on a public web server and then just throw in a couple of ads on the PC side of the webpage you might be able to get some cash out of this. ;)

6. vashgs
    OP

United States
    I'm actually going to throw one or two non-intrusive ads on the PC side once I make a release. Tech-savvy individuals will be able to quickly remove them if they'd like, but it never hurts to help a fellow developer out.

Maxternal likes this.
  7. SuzieJoeBob

Member SuzieJoeBob NOT a New Member

United States
    This is what I'm thinking after reading the first post:
    [​IMG]

Ray Lewis and asper like this.
  8. Ray Lewis

Banned Ray Lewis Banned

United States
    So...use controller for pc via internet connection? Or, like a mouse? Not feeling well and seems creative but I would love love to use usb cable and hook controller to pc for emulator use. That would be my want;-)

9. Maxternal

Costa Rica
    Just a thought with the virtual keyboard, if you're looking to cut any corners you could always (at least on Windows) just have it automatically open the already existing software keyboard on the PC and see if you could type with that. Not ideal, I know, but it could help for starters.

And I second Ray's desire for a PC gamepad emulation feature. (Not even sure if the web browser has access to the buttons and joysticks on the gamepad but that WOULD be nice.)

10. vashgs
    OP

United States
    So far I am able to detect the following:

A Button (perfect behavior, down and up)
    Left Stick (perfect 8-direction behavior)
    D-Pad (perfect behavior, down and up, differentiates between Left stick and D-Pad)
    B Button (Press only, hacky detection)

I'm currently working on the right stick, with minor success. It doesn't look like I'll be able to include full right stick support.

The plan is to complete a customizable application in which you can map each of the available buttons to any virtual key on your PC. This would allow you to control your mouse, use a virtual keyboard, or (for all of us gamers) map the Gamepad to certain buttons for use within emulators!

I'll keep you all updated. Cheers!

11. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    i still want a way to connect via Bluetooth
    but still cool

12. Ray Lewis

Banned Ray Lewis Banned

United States
    Not knocking your work, I think this is VERY creative. Thanks for sharing this.

13. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
  14. vashgs
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the post, it has been very helpful. I didn't mean to offend by my project or anything. Like I mentioned above, I didn't know if it had been done before, so I started to do it myself.

Edit: Ohai thar, megazig. Nice to see a familiar face ;-)

15. Pattonfiend67
    This message by Pattonfiend67 has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jan 29, 2013, Reason: Flaming.
    Jan 29, 2013
  16. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    howdy vash, long time no see

17. vashgs
    OP

United States
    I've completed full input support, and I've made it so the user sets up hotkeys on the PC end. I've added a video in the first post to demonstrate using the GamePad as an emulator controller.

Maxternal likes this.
  18. Maxternal

Costa Rica
    OH, seeing the video I thought the PC screen was being streamed to the gamepad but it doesn't look like that's the case? if it isn't right now, that would be a great feature to add.

19. vashgs
    OP

United States
    I've already attempted it using the one available streaming method for the Internet Browser (Apple's livehttp). Unfortunately, the segments don't load rapidly enough at a shorter length, and when the length of each segment is too long then the delay becomes massive and unusable in this situation. That basically exhausts my options for streaming the PC screen to the GamePad. I have one more option that I've thought about, but I haven't given it a shot yet. If I do decide to try it, I'll definitely post about it here.

Pattonfiend67 and KiiWii like this.
  20. Pattonfiend67

Banned Pattonfiend67 You're F'ng Out!

United States
    any update on this? i would be very interested in giving it a go soon... very excited for this. thanks for taking your time to do it!

21. Ray Lewis

Banned Ray Lewis Banned

United States
    Yeah, this is great work. Mega pointed out a link where people had mapped something on this before. Sorry if I seemed to discount what you're working on. Very interested in seeing this come to fruition;-) My question would be of LAG. If playing an emulator, would there be lag with controller--->PC--->emulator? Oh, to clarify, I had a massive migraine when I commented previously and thought it was cool but hurt my brain trying to think on it even more. If there is no lag, and fully functional (lag like, it is playable with emulators) THEN this is amazing. Actually usable for all of us;-) Thanks for the work and the effort.