Wii U Game Pad without screen?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Gameboy Color, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Gameboy Color
    OP

Gameboy Color Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    Will the Wii U Game Pad work as a controller if you disconnect the LCD display inside it? thx

2. crwys

crwys GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
    Trying to improve battery life?

3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Any of the things that require you to use the gamepad instead of the Pro controller is going to require you to look at and/or touch the screen so there's no point in disconnecting the screen.

If you just don't want to keep charging it because it's on even when you use other controllers, you can open the panel on the back and unplug the battery and just use the Pro controller, but that means you can't change system settings, and obviously any games you're using need to support Pro controllers. Most do (at least most ones I've tried) but a few don't.

4. Gameboy Color
    OP

Gameboy Color Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2012
    United States
    yeah im aware of all that stuff, I'm just curious to if the controller will still function with the system without the display in it. buttons i mean, not the touchscreen mechanics.

5. Seismonaut

Seismonaut Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2014
    Australia
    if you physically disconnect the lcd it will still work, I think

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It depends on how the LCD driver works. If the gamepad refuses to turn on with the screen ribbon disconnected, a bridge or a small resistor on the ribbon connector will probably fix the problem. I don't know why you'd do that considering the fact that Pro contollers are readily available, but hey - it'll work. :P