Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
Satangel said:
What a bunch of bullshit. In 5 years from now we'll still be playing FPS games on PC, that's just how it goes. You can't beat the mouse + keyboard setup for FPS games, period.
I agree, but you can beat the dual analog stick setup. That's something the Wii already did imo. Wiimote + nunchuck had a steep learning curve but once you were used to it it was infinitely better than playing shooters with a classic controller.

I imagine with the tablet it will just be a minor variation to that. Maybe use the tablet to reload and switch weapons, seperating that from the real screen.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what ive seen, you still use the wii mote plus chuck, but the screen snaps to the wii zapper and acts like an ACOG scope... any day any time i will take a challenge with the wii mote V.S. classic, ps3, xbox, or pc controlls and guaranteed i will pwn for sure without a doubt.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Changing the way we play FPS'?
Appetizing, but it will still be infected by the surplus of generic FPS' we have today.

Now if there were some way to eliminate that, I would throw my money at you.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Spongeroberto said:
Satangel said:
What a bunch of bullshit. In 5 years from now we'll still be playing FPS games on PC, that's just how it goes. You can't beat the mouse + keyboard setup for FPS games, period.
I agree, but you can beat the dual analog stick setup. That's something the Wii already did imo. Wiimote + nunchuck had a steep learning curve but once you were used to it it was infinitely better than playing shooters with a classic controller.

I imagine with the tablet it will just be a minor variation to that. Maybe use the tablet to reload and switch weapons, seperating that from the real screen.

I can see that being true. Shame that almost no FPS games were released for Wii. I remember playing some CoD 4 online for Wii and it was pretty enjoyable. The control-scheme worked, but it was still pretty buggy. Maybe that problem has been fixed in newer FPS games, I don't know.

QUOTE(Demonstryde @ Jul 2 2011, 08:02 PM)
from what ive seen, you still use the wii mote plus chuck, but the screen snaps to the wii zapper and acts like an ACOG scope... any day any time i will take a challenge with the wii mote V.S. classic, ps3, xbox, or pc controlls and guaranteed i will pwn for sure without a doubt.

That are claims that never can be proven. I doubt it though. I actually doubt anyone of the 'temp is able to beat me right now in CoD MW2 on PC
smileipb2.png

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Appetizing, but it will still be infected by the surplus of generic FPS' we have today.

Well, Call of Duty migrated to the Wiimote + Nunchuk with the Wii... I don't think it's much of stretch to assume most FPSs will use this configuration on the Wii U.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd imagine the Wii U controller touch screen could rest on a table or on your lap and be used to play an FPS just like CoD on the DS.
Left analog stick to move, two L trigger buttons at your finger tip, and a d-pad for your left thumb to switch weapons as we are used to.
In the right hand a super sized stylus to aim on the touch screen just like on the DS, only bigger and better
wink.gif

I can see a lot of potential in this.
Maybe a series of icons along the borders of the screen to quick change weapons and a detailed map or radar...........Yes , I can see the Wii U not only beat dual analog stick setup, but seriously rival the PC k/mouse, and this is coming from a PC gamer.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OmegaVesko said:
machomuu said:

Well, Call of Duty migrated to the Wiimote + Nunchuk with the Wii... I don't think it's much of stretch to assume most FPSs will use this configuration on the Wii U.
That would be more "migrating" the way we play FPS rather than "changing" them. No way CoD can get out of its web of genericness now, though- not that it'd want to. The Treyarch and Infinity Ward know it's a cash cow and that they don't need to change much for each now sequel, thus they keep it that way and so far there's no end in sight. This, I actually don't mind that much, but the hype each new iteration gets sickens me.

Though I doubt they will use the Wiimote and Nunchuck as they are learned from the mistake they made with the 3DS and are promoting the new console and its new features as much as possible, there's almost no doubt in me that they will guide developers into using the new system's features for all that they are.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Satangel said:
+1.

I don't mean to bash their idea, but console controllers simply will never match the speed and accuracy that even a cheap keyboard and ball mouse provide. You can't do flick moves with a controller and a joystick will always be slower to quickly turn to the opposite direction than buttons.

Perhaps this attempt will be a better way to utilize quick aiming than wiimote+nunchuck (at least it'll cover some of the true comments of this zero punctuation review), but the movement will suffer from it.

So basically, I think it can at best change the way we play on-rails first person shooters.

(RTS games may see a revolution with a touchpad - turn based strategy games already benefit from them - but that remains to be seen)

QUOTE(JoostinOnline @ Jul 2 2011, 11:02 AM) So who here used the original Zapper for Duck Hunt? That game was awesome! I hated the dog though.
That'll be me.

...and that dog was part of what made it an awesome game. I bet more than 90% of the gamers at least attempted to shoot that dog.
tongue.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wever said:
Satangel said:
+1.

I don't mean to bash their idea, but console controllers simply will never match the speed and accuracy that even a cheap keyboard and ball mouse provide. You can't do flick moves with a controller and a joystick will always be slower to quickly turn to the opposite direction than buttons.

Blah blah blah.....
The old debate of keyboard/mouse----> so much better then console controls. I've heard it thousand times on every forum, and I also happen to agree with it when we are comparing it with dual analog setup.
Unfortunately, a lot of kids started to play FPS on their xboxes probably with HALO, and it's so silly when they insist that it's better with a controller. Nothing new here.

However, I'm a PC gamer as well, and I have a question for you.
Did you ever play Matroid Hunters or any CoD on the DS ? Or even Dementium or Moon ?

-----------If yes---------

Then tell me what is lacking in terms of "speed and accuracy that even a cheap keyboard and ball mouse provide".
I had a phenomenal speed and accuracy, even better on the DSiXL, and that's the truth.
Now there are other issues at hand, that prevent the DS to be the definitive platform for FPS:
- Hand cramps
- Small screen
- Limited resolution, sometimes you shoot dots on the screen
- Not enough buttons, and the analog thumb is missing
- Not powerful enough the have a full fledged FPS shooter like on the big consoles or PC

If you somehow agree to the above, consider this:

- The Wii U controller can be rested on the table or on your lap ( no hand cramps )
- The screen is much wider then the DS screen. Even if no image is displayed, it will provide the user with a large area to slide the stylus across, that will make pointing at enemies easy, fast and with unprecedented accuracy
- The action is taking place in natively 1080p on your TV, which can be as big as you can afford it
- On the left had side, you could move/strafe with the thumb stick, shoot with the L button, and change weapons/items with the d-pad ( but ideally, there should be icons on the touch screen to to that on the fly ), so many more buttons combinations compared to the DS
- Chances are, the next CoD would perform better on the Wii U then then 360/PS3 ( slightly more powerful/newer system )

Now there is no way you can tell me I'm wrong with the above explanation. You can argue that you are used to the keyboard/mouse ( and so am I ) but then it would be a matter of personal preference and your opinion, not a fact.
The fact is, the Wii U has potential to be just as good ( or even better ) then PCs for FPS games.

-----------If not---------

On the other hand, If you never played a DS FPS, then there is no way you'll get what I'm saying, you'll refuse my reasoning because you never experienced something like it.

So go play a DS fps !

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I just hope that the WiiU's controller isn't too heavy...

I also wonder about the possibility of Augmented Reality with the controller. That'd make some FPSs, like Portal, really interesting. Standing in the middle of a room, you can look around through the screen to see where possible exits might be.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@Arm73: nice arguing. I have to admit I missed out on the DS. Most of my experiences were based upon first person shooters that were made specifically with the limitations of controllers in mind (more specific: PS and xbox ones). Of course gamers nowadays can claim that controllers are up to par: games are designed to pretty much ignore z-axis or have a subtle type of auto-aiming built in.

But I'm willing to admit I'm basing myself on just a few examples (I'm currently playing bulletstorm, but I'm not really enjoying it. Landing headshots is so easy it gets boring and more often than not, the only time I die is because I do too much fun stuff like jumping in the middle of a fight). I'll give some of these DS shooters a spin. Any FPS with a pace that goes faster than a crawl is worth playing in my book, no matter what the platform or means (if you ask me, campcrouching for longer than 3 seconds means you deserve 5 rockets up your ass
tongue.gif
).

Still...I gotta say: if someone claims he is going to change "the way we play first-person shooters", he better add "on consoles" or be prepared to tackle some skepticism from PC gamers.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...I tried black ops on the DS yesterday. I know I shouldn't judge before getting properly used to it, but I'm not having fun. In fact, my first impression was mostly everything I feared: struggling much more with the controls than actually playing.

...but when coming home from work, I suddenly thought both of this thread and the controller's gyroscope. Why isn't that used for properly turning? No, not in the way it is shown in the first picture (though that might be the better way for on-rails shooters), but for proper turning.
It goes like this: you hold the controller with both hands, but you don't have turning buttons. Instead, to turn left, you just lower the left part of the controller a bit below than the right part (or a lot, if you want to turn fast). Turning right is lowering the right part of the controller. Look up by lowering the lower part of the controller, and the other way around to look down.

This may look a bit strange if you read it like this, but it's actually quite intuitive. In fact, most wii driving games already do it. And I don't know how many of you have tried the dogfight shooting game in wii sports resort, but that comes pretty close. Just make it first person instead of the 3rd one in that minigame and change the wiimote with a controller that puts necessary move buttons near your fingers and you have a perfectly good control scheme.

I still don't think it'll turn first person shooters around (maybe on consoles, but that'll just be because the competition is too busy discovering that kinect/move will just suck for FPS'es), but for first person shooters (that aren't on-rails ones) I'd go with such a control scheme over that "look at this: we make you buy yet another piece of plastic" in the first pic. And especially over stylus turning.

xvinh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt it will work like in the video. You either have to stand really close to the screen or have a really big TV.

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
Hmm...I tried black ops on the DS yesterday. I know I shouldn't judge before getting properly used to it, but I'm not having fun. In fact, my first impression was mostly everything I feared: struggling much more with the controls than actually playing.

...but when coming home from work, I suddenly thought both of this thread and the controller's gyroscope. Why isn't that used for properly turning? No, not in the way it is shown in the first picture (though that might be the better way for on-rails shooters), but for proper turning.
It goes like this: you hold the controller with both hands, but you don't have turning buttons. Instead, to turn left, you just lower the left part of the controller a bit below than the right part (or a lot, if you want to turn fast). Turning right is lowering the right part of the controller. Look up by lowering the lower part of the controller, and the other way around to look down.

This may look a bit strange if you read it like this, but it's actually quite intuitive. In fact, most wii driving games already do it. And I don't know how many of you have tried the dogfight shooting game in wii sports resort, but that comes pretty close. Just make it first person instead of the 3rd one in that minigame and change the wiimote with a controller that puts necessary move buttons near your fingers and you have a perfectly good control scheme.

I still don't think it'll turn first person shooters around (maybe on consoles, but that'll just be because the competition is too busy discovering that kinect/move will just suck for FPS'es), but for first person shooters (that aren't on-rails ones) I'd go with such a control scheme over that "look at this: we make you buy yet another piece of plastic" in the first pic. And especially over stylus turning.

People will stick up for FPS shooters on DS but in my opinion the hardware wasn't powerful enough and the lack of an analog stick (+ some say a second stick) made games feel cumbersome. The 3DS has the potential to be better especially if the Gyroscope is used well but it remains to be seen. I owned over 20 + DS games but never bought a FPS due to having a similar experience to you when trying them out.

As for FPS shooters on Wii U, I think they may just be too awesome. Shooters really need a fresh injection of innovation and the Wii U may be just the ticket.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Back