Wii Takes a While to Turn On

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rapol, Jan 28, 2010.

Jan 28, 2010

Wii Takes a While to Turn On by rapol at 4:28 PM (2,729 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States
    It's been like this since I first did the software hack from you guys here, which is amazing to say the least, thank you so much [​IMG].

But when I turn my wii on, it sometimes just goes to a black screen, mostly it does this three to 5 times before I can turn the wii on. I have to keep holding down the power button, wait till it goes red, then turn it back on. Starting to worry me too.

So you know how old my Wii is(in case it matters) I bought mine in line on the first day they were released.

Hacked it in the end of November/ start of December.

Has anyone else had a problem like this, and if so, does anyone know how to fix it please?

Cheers

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    sounds like u have a priiloader (or startpatch) system menu hack that boots the wii to a blackscreen (more of a gag, or a way to lock people out of your wii when your not around).

Double check your priiloader hacks and make any weird hacks like that are disabled.

Its weird that it only does it some of the time though (leads me to believe maybe its not a sys menu hack)... maybe u have a corrupted system menu somehow... since ur wii is that old, make sure u have bootmii installed as boot2 and a nand backup (do this NOW just in case u somehow make your problem worse). In fact if u have a nand backup from b4 the problems started (or even from b4 u hacked the wii) u can try restoring that. Or try reinstalling your system menu instead.

3. Riicky

Member Riicky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I had this problem with an older version of priiloader, it would turn on, my indicator light would go back to yellow, and the wii would black screen..updated to the latest priiloader and all is fine now!

4. XFlak

Canada
    +1, i remember that issue now that u mention it! It would ALWAYS work when u tried turning it on the second time though.

I think that was the bug in priiloader v0.2, download priiloader v0.3b and install that (or grab my priiloader bundle HERE to get a lot of cool priiloader stuff)

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i have a version of priiloader which incorrectly handles the bootstate, so it just turns off the wii. its fixed in newer versions.

6. XFlak

Canada
    have? not had? why would u keep something like that? lol

7. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States

I'm going to give it a try, hope that it works, I'll report back [​IMG]

Also it says I don't have something in the bootmii file, that I am missing something if I try and run it from the homebrew channel, is this a problem as well?

8. XFlak

Canada
    are u trying to start bootmii from the homebrew channel? that's different than starting priiloader.

to start bootmii u need a folder called bootmii with the right files saved on ur sd card. To get these files, just run the hackmii installer and tell it to prepare an sd card.

9. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States
    Tried the loader file, still doing the same thing.

Actually it took about 6 times before the new loader shortcut would even go to it, it kept going to a black screen when I would load it and then I would have to hard turn the wii off, then turn it back on.

Also the bootmii thing is't saying is something about an arm file...

But yeah still black screening at the start up, is there something I can do to redo the hack and make this not happen?

Again, thanks for all the help thus far.

10. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you have priiloader set to try to boot bootmii. tell it to load the system menu

11. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States

I do have it set for system menu, one of the first things I made sure of [​IMG]

12. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States
    Friendly bump

13. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I had the same problem happening about half the time. I updated Priiloader, no luck. I uninstalled Priiloader and reinstalled latest version, and all was well thereafter. Try that.

14. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States
    Just did this as well, still doing the same thing [​IMG]

15. XFlak

Canada

16. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States
    I figured it would be better to film what was going on and let you see it first hand [​IMG]

Hope that the video can be of some help to you, and thanks for your time too [​IMG]

17. XFlak

Canada
    when u got the bootmii.arm error message u were trying to start bootmii right?

U need to have the armboot.bin file saved where it's telling you, SD:/bootmii/armboot.bin

and the bootmii.ini file should be saved in the same place

these files would have been in the bootmii folder that was created when u installed bootmii/made your last nand dump/prepared an sd card using bootmii

basically it sounds like you're trying to launch bootmii without the bootmii folder saved on your sd card (or with files missing from it). To get these files, just run the hackmii installer (most recent version, i think its v0.6 now), and from there if u were to reinstall bootmii it will save all the files u need in the right places (i think preparing an sd card will do the same thing, but it will also format the SD card, not sure, never really used that function, but reinstalling bootmii, even if its already installed, is perfectly safe to do)

18. rapol
    OP

Newcomer rapol Member

United States
    So do you think it's a bootmii reason then that the screen is going black and takes a few times before my wii turns on?

19. XFlak

Canada
    damn i didn't even notice that (prolly because i dont have speaker on the PC i am using now, and couldn't hear u talking in the video). If you're wii is not turning on properly, just reinstall your system menu IOS (do this FIRST), then reinstall your system menu. This will uninstall priiloader, so u will need to reinstall it again afterwards

but yeah, b4 doing any of that make sure u can get to bootmii (follow my instructions in my last post), and make a nand backup.

20. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Looks to me like you've got bootmii installed as boot2, and it doesn't like your SD card. Try booting without the card in and see if it still takes ages or if it always boots normally.