Wii system memory is full

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Digital1980, Apr 19, 2009.

Apr 19, 2009

Wii system memory is full by Digital1980 at 9:26 PM (4,384 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Digital1980
    OP

Member Digital1980 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I installed a couple of channel .wads today and when I did a reset I received a nice large "Wii System Memory is Full" message and it forced me to the data menu.

I managed to delete a couple of save files and recover enough blocks to make it back to the system menu. (super smash bros. brawl creates a large save file)

I need to free up some system memory and I'm looking for the best way to do that. I started out using WAD Uninstaller which seems to do a good job of removing the wads I install, not sure if any traces are still left behind?

From what I have read, it seems like the best method to remove ANYTHING such as .wads , channels, ios is to use AnyTitleDeleterDB which I have not tried yet. Before I do so, I just want to make sure I do the right thing.

I still have all of the default channels like:

Weather
    News
    Wii + Internet get connected (noticed it's like 1000+ blocks)
    check mii out channel
    Wii Shop Channel (don't ever plan on using)

I really have no use for these channels and I would like to remove everything I don't need and never plan on using in the future.

It also appears I can remove channels with the channel manager within the Wii menu but once again it seems like AnyTitleDeleterDB is the way to go and superior to all.

Should I ALWAYS use AnyTitleDeleterDB to remove everything I install and try out? I want to maximize my Wii system memory capacity.

Basically, what is safe to delete? What isn't? To my understanding, you should NEVER remove an IOS because those are overwritten anyways.

What should I uninstall? What should I leave?

2. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    i ALWAYS use the WAD that i installed, to Uninstall.

3. Digital1980
    OP

United States
    That is how I have been doing it but is that the best way to go? It seems like AnyTitleDeleterDB does the same thing but I don't know if the .WAD needs to placed in the WAD folder for removal?

4. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada

ATD works too but if u use a .wad to install naturally it knows what it put where ect and can easily be removed.
    you do need the .wad to remove it

5. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I use ATD (Red Squirrel edition), for the most part, as it's the quickest/easiest method and, yeah, you should never-ever remove IOS'...ever...at all...period.

I also dumped all of the Nintendo channels except for News/Photo/Mii (even though I'm 99% certain you can nuke them with no ill-effect).

6. Dinoguy

Member Dinoguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Are you using the english ssb? it takes like 300 blocks
    use the japanes version if you need it pm me.
    if you currently have the english and replace it with the official japanese one it'll save you like 140 blocks or more.

7. phpgeek

Member phpgeek GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You can get rid of this to start with as it's taking up 1/2 the space! It's just a tutorial movie explaining how to connect your Wii to the internet. I deleted mine without so much as giving thought to watching the thing, lol!

8. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    What is it? I've never heard of this [​IMG]

9. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It ships with new wii's (since about xmas) its a shitty vid that takes up half the space available on the wii.

10. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I imagine it is lousy if you know what you're doing--if not, it's a fantastic way to cut down on their costs/reduce customer frustration by heading off tons of calls to their tech support line.

I imagine, in the future, all the platform-holders will be filling our new consoles with all manner of tuts for the uninitiated.

11. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    ~256 mb just for a video [​IMG] How long is it?

12. Digital1980
    OP

United States
    is my Wii semi bricked if it restarts every time I exit an APP or the HBC? Also when I power down it shows a red light instead of orange like it used to.

13. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Can't you just copy/move/backup some unused save files or channels or games to an SD card or am I missing the point ?
    Ever since update 4.0 I installed everything I have on the Wii ( Wiiware/VirtualConsole) and successfully moved everything on my 4GB SDhc leaving only a few channels on the Wii system memory....

14. yumms

Member yumms GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Has anyone put that video online? I'd love to see it.

15. phpgeek

Member phpgeek GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom