Wii only reading gc discs

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by notorios, Nov 23, 2008.

Nov 23, 2008

Wii only reading gc discs by notorios at 3:16 PM (1,614 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. notorios
    OP

Newcomer notorios Member

Jamaica
    I recently updated to cios36 rev 6 and was using it quite fine for a while. Was using it along with backup loader 0.3 gamma. After using it for a while though my wii started having problems reading my backups. Untile it wouldn't read it at all. I decided to try my original and it didnt work. None of my originals worked and none of my backups work. My wii hasnt had any physical damage or anything also i just tried a gc game and guess what, it worked. Can anyone shed some light on this situation please and thanx.

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    You probably just need to upgrade with a Game Disc, I hope you are in 3.2 or earlier, otherwise I can't think of anything else

3. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    What is that based on? Im not saying you are wrong but I havent heard a problem quite like this before.. Can you link some kinda of proof?

4. ether2802

Mexico
    this is just like a semi-brick, so he needs to upgrade, that's how the semi-brick get fixed, isn't??

5. notorios
    OP

Newcomer notorios Member

Jamaica
    SO this is a semi brick, hmmm problem is i am on 3.2 and my games are older than that. If i do a downgrade and then use one of my discs would that work?

But wait as i am writing this it comes to mind, um, i cant load any games so how would i be able to that?

Dont semi-bricks allow you to play your games but not change your settings?

6. ether2802

Mexico
    didn't though it thru, you could give it a try, but if it doesn't work, you'll have to take it back to the store, take the HBC out before...!!

7. notorios
    OP

Newcomer notorios Member

Jamaica
    crud, well i will keep searching first for a solution

8. notorios
    OP

Newcomer notorios Member

Jamaica
    Well i tried downgrading and then upgrading back to 3.2 but that was a fail. And i cant try the iso i see floating around to fix semi-bricks, what to do. Question is, is this really a semi-brick, or is the lens system damaged? No one else has experienced anything like this?

9. Matt93

Member Matt93 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It sounds like a hardware problem to me. I think that your Wii laser pot might need to be adjusted. For an exact reading, you need a multimeter, but if you really wanted to, you could just turn the pot a little bit and experiment to see if it works. (Not recommended.) This was a very common problem with Gamecubes trying to read backups.

10. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    backup disc's dont go easy on the wii laser. it could be a problem with your laser... i just hope mine doesnt end up broken XD

11. Knarf

Member Knarf GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you can run homebrew get a downgrader wad and dowgrade to an earlier update, then upgrade to whatever you want. Should fix you're problem.

12. notorios
    OP

Newcomer notorios Member

Jamaica
    @GoldenfrankO
    Nope tried the downgrade before, with ios downgrader, or are you tell me to use a different method?

@Matt93
    Dont think i would ever want to try physically adjusting anything in my wii, dnt know much about the hardware, dont wont to kill it if its just sick

thanks for your replies

13. Matt93

Member Matt93 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, if nothing else works, that might be the problem. Nintendo charges $75 for repair, so I would research adjusting the laser pot if absolutely nothing you try gets it working.

14. notorios
    OP

Newcomer notorios Member

Jamaica
    ouch, k thanx

15. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
  16. notorios
    OP

Newcomer notorios Member

Jamaica
    I can probably get it fixed here, I just want to make sure its the laser, and not fixable by software first. Or worst if i can manage to get a try-wing screwdriver to open my wii i wud rather try adjust the pot like people say first. so i am doing my research.
    Question, can adjusting the pot damage the console, and if it can wud buying the laser system fix it.