Hardware Wii not reading ANY discs

Cawk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii has stopped reading discs. Last night I was playing Brawl and my Wii started making weird sounds. It would do this thing where the game would make some weird sounds and freeze for a little bit, and a little while later it would work again. After having it do this for a couple of minutes, I got "An error has occured, eject the disc, turn the power off and consult the manual." I've had problems with ssbb before so I didn't think of it and turned my Wii back on after a few minutes. When I turned it back on my Wii wouldn't read the game at all. This has happened before, so I ejected it and put it back in a few times until my Wii would read it. When I finally got it to read the disc, I started the game up. Immediately after I started it up it made some weird sounds. This went on for about 20 seconds and then I got the error message again. I tried to play it a few more times and got the same results. I wanted to see if it was just the game that was the problem or if it was my Wii so I tried out a few more games. I tried other Wii games, Gamecube games, and some Wii backup games (DVD Read error 1167 on neogamma), none of which worked. I've been playing it all week since Goldeneye was released, and haven't had any problems until last night. I've never had this problem with any game other then a few times with ssbb, but I always managed to get it to work. It did... fall a few feet on Sunday, but like I've said, I've been playing it all week without any problems until last night.

I have a NTSC-U 4.1 softmodded Wii (I used this guide to softmod) that I bought in September 2007 if any of that matters.

tl;dr My Wii has stopped reading ALL games.

I REALLY want to avoid sending it into Nintendo if I can. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

And I apologize if this was not the correct place to ask this...

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If your wii isn't reading any disc it's probably a dead disc drive. replacements are easy to come by and should be relatively easy to replace. here's one for $56 on amazon but i'm sure you could find one cheaper. just stay away form the d3-2 drive if you want to play backups from disc.

http://www.amazon.com/NINTENDO-WII-DVD-DRI...3/dp/B002W5NIFA

Cawk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was afraid that's what it was. If I were to take apart my Wii would there be a way for me to know for sure if that's what it is? I just want to know exactly what the problem is before I spend money on replacement parts or an hdd.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Way to be sure? It was working fine... you put a disc in... it doesn't read it... You didn't do anything else between those 2 things, therefore it's the drive
tongue.gif

egurgle

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
try load games from a pendriver using CFG USB Loader or any loader. if game works fine then u can think about buying HDD or replace ur DVD driver. But u can buy a external USB DVD Driver and use it with uLoader to play backup discs.

Cawk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@koji: Lol, yes, but there's no way it could be the laser?

@egurgle: All right, I'll try that out. Thanks.

dario69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi my englisch is not so good , butt i will try it.
I have a same problem.
My wii is hardmodded whit one of the first wiikey 3 years ago.
Whenn i did my last update , my wii don't read any games . Even copy or original.
What do i have to do...
Sorry if my englisch is not so good...
thanks

John_Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dario69 said:
Hi my englisch is not so good , butt i will try it.
I have a same problem.
My wii is hardmodded whit one of the first wiikey 3 years ago.
Whenn i did my last update , my wii don't read any games . Even copy or original.
What do i have to do...
Sorry if my englisch is not so good...
thanks

If you do an official update from Nintendo, It can be anything, Give us more details about your Wii, cIos, ios and etc...

What you have in your Wii ??

dario69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry its the lasted update from nintendo.
How do i search de information that you asked for???
I don't now much about the chip. It was installed by a guy that i don't knwo. But i think it was the first wiikey .

Anim8r Dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Cawk:
WELL! YOU'RE JUST IN LUCK! Turns out I (sadly) had the same problem just a few days. Chances are that your Wii's motor just kicked the bucket, and isn't going to start working anytime soon. I too, would avoid sending to Nintendo, because near the end, it's almost a rip-off no matter which way you look at it. >_>

HOWEVER, there is still hope (*GASP*)! I would follow Egurgle's advice (very similar to what I did) and use a USB loader to play your games (another one of Homebrew many amazing advantages). I would highly recommend using the app Configurable Usb Loader, due to the fact that don't need to format any Hard Drives (I use mine for Games and Movies XD) and that it works exactly like any other loader (switch between IOSs and different themes).
The only problem for CFG Usb Loader is that the font looks like an old windows 1985 computer, but OH WELL. Youre not here to gaze at the font for hours on end, right?
tongue.gif

Repairs for a Wii drive nowdays is around the 60-75$ price. However, a 250 GB Hard Drive (which is about 60 to 80 games) is also around the 60$ price. Now, tell me what's a better deal?
mthrnitesmiley.gif

@Dario69:

Don't know much about hardmodded Wiis, nor the latest Nintendo update (4.3 I guess -_-?) and it's effects. Can you still run the Homebrew Channel? When you put in a real Wii game, what sounds does your Wii make? Do you hear it "Click", followed by a fan-like noise? So many questions. :wtf:

dario69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anim8r Dude said:
@Dario69:
Don't know much about hardmodded Wiis, nor the latest Nintendo update (4.3 I guess -_-?) and it's effects. Can you still run the Homebrew Channel? When you put in a real Wii game, what sounds does your Wii make? Do you hear it "Click", followed by a fan-like noise? So many questions. :wtf:

I don't have the homebrew channel en my wii does maken some nose whenn you put on a wii disc original or copie is the same..

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might have a solution that requires no cash OR usbloader gx because something similar happened to me.

If you wii seems to be a tad bit hot after using it or having it off for i while (yeah i know) there could be a problem with the disk-drive overheating which was what screwed up mine

What i did to fix it was to unplug all cables going to the wii and put it on a table to let it sit for about 3hrs.

When i plugged it back in lo-and-behold it started reading disks again.

However every so often i need to unplug it and repeat the same thing again.

Hope this helps yah and best of luck
grog.gif

dario69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sergster1 said:
I might have a solution that requires no cash OR usbloader gx because something similar happened to me.

If you wii seems to be a tad bit hot after using it or having it off for i while (yeah i know) there could be a problem with the disk-drive overheating which was what screwed up mine

What i did to fix it was to unplug all cables going to the wii and put it on a table to let it sit for about 3hrs.

When i plugged it back in lo-and-behold it started reading disks again.

However every so often i need to unplug it and repeat the same thing again.

Hope this helps yah and best of luck
grog.gif

Hi thanks for the info, but it didd't work.
We have to find another solution.
greatz

Cawk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anim8r Dude said:
@Cawk:
WELL! YOU'RE JUST IN LUCK! Turns out I (sadly) had the same problem just a few days. Chances are that your Wii's motor just kicked the bucket, and isn't going to start working anytime soon. I too, would avoid sending to Nintendo, because near the end, it's almost a rip-off no matter which way you look at it. >_>

HOWEVER, there is still hope (*GASP*)! I would follow Egurgle's advice (very similar to what I did) and use a USB loader to play your games (another one of Homebrew many amazing advantages). I would highly recommend using the app Configurable Usb Loader, due to the fact that don't need to format any Hard Drives (I use mine for Games and Movies XD) and that it works exactly like any other loader (switch between IOSs and different themes).
The only problem for CFG Usb Loader is that the font looks like an old windows 1985 computer, but OH WELL. Youre not here to gaze at the font for hours on end, right?
tongue.gif

Repairs for a Wii drive nowdays is around the 60-75$ price. However, a 250 GB Hard Drive (which is about 60 to 80 games) is also around the 60$ price. Now, tell me what's a better deal?
mthrnitesmiley.gif

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm going to get an external hard drive.
smile.gif
I already have cfg usb loader on my Wii which I will be using when I get my hard drive. Thanks for the help.

I'm sorry dario, I don't know a lot about this stuff (obviously). Hope you manage to figure out what's wrong though.

Anim8r Dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Cawk:
Hey, no problem! After all, I did the exact same thing. Now I see why most people stick to USB loaders. >_>

@Dario:
Hard modded Wiis don't have Homebrew channels? Boy, that just makes stuff more complicated. :wtf:
WELL, if your Wii is still making noise when you put in a disk, I guess it's safe to say that your Wii drive is not dead.

What is currently your Wii version? 4.3u? :?

You might be better off finding someone with more experience in Hard mods. :l

dario69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anim8r Dude said:
@Cawk:
Hey, no problem! After all, I did the exact same thing. Now I see why most people stick to USB loaders. >_>

@Dario:
Hard modded Wiis don't have Homebrew channels? Boy, that just makes stuff more complicated. :wtf:
WELL, if your Wii is still making noise when you put in a disk, I guess it's safe to say that your Wii drive is not dead.

What is currently your Wii version? 4.3u? :?

You might be better off finding someone with more experience in Hard mods. :l

Hey my last update was 4.3.
I just want to find a solution for playing games with a harddisk

Nick™

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The better way for you is using a pendrive or something like that, just to test if it is really the disc driver. If the game works, buy a HDD. It's awesome, believe me, you will never more have problems with reading discs, the the only problem you can have is with anti-piracy system on some games, but you can solve anything, with gbatemp help. The best thing i have ever did to my wii was buying a HDD.

dario69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nick™ said:
The better way for you is using a pendrive or something like that, just to test if it is really the disc driver. If the game works, buy a HDD. It's awesome, believe me, you will never more have problems with reading discs, the the only problem you can have is with anti-piracy system on some games, but you can solve anything, with gbatemp help. The best thing i have ever did to my wii was buying a HDD.

I have à HDD but my Wii read no disc anymore. So how can i install THE HDD on my Wii version4.3 whitout a game. Can i just install homebrew channel and USB loader with a sd Card ??? Of does i need THE game lego indiana jones or Yu-gi-oh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus