Hardware Wii not accepting discs

captianmo81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii that will not accept any discs. It is not modded, it is a US Wii with 3.1u firm on it. The laser lights up when powered on and then nothing. Any ideas as to what could cause it? The system works fine aside from the disc drive, goes to menu and all that good stuff just the drive seems to be lacking power or is shorting out. I am pretty good with fixing things just do not know where to start on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

dbkdbk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure there's no disc inside your Wii, try pressing the eject button.
Also, check to see if the plug is plugged in properly and that theres no dust on either side of the cable.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That happened to one of mine when i tried to install a mod chip - it used the wiiclip and wasnt seated properly and the disc drive pretty much died - i removed and it worked again

is it modded in any way ?

captianmo81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not modded at all, I couldn't see it being the laser lens because that should not effect the drive taking discs in. I have had it apart all the way down to laser and have found no bad connections or wires. I tested the power cable that runs to the drive and it seems to be getting power through it fine. I am not sure if there is a way to brick the drive without a mod chip, but that is what it seems like. It could also be that something has been fried on the drives board too, but I seriously doubt I am going to find it unless someone else has found it already and can help pinpoint it to me. I am about to just give up and order another drive and hope that the motherboard of the Wii is still ok.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
ComplicatioN said:
faulty mod chip?
Did you even read the question?

To the OP it could be many things, most likely is the motor that spins the games has gone. How old is the Wii, if still under warranty send it back to Nintendo.

captianmo81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two drives and have swapped the boards between the two with the same result either way. It has to be a board issue rather than any components that control the drives actions like the motors ect. The one drive is the original one with the issue of it not accepting disc, the other had a screwed up modchip install done on it but other than that the laser and drive houseing were known to be good, so I took the drive board from the original one and put it on the one that I knew was functional and still have the same result. With that said it has to be the drive board, not the laser, not the motors, or anything else in the drive housing. Does anyone know what components on the drive board control the acceptance of discs and laser movement?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
My wii is EXACTLY the same, but I have a Wiikey..v1.

I'm waiting on a drive replacement from my local store but have been waiting for a couple of months now, yeah about 2 I think. Gutted but at least I got homebrew for now.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try switching the orientation of your Wii, if it's not working vertically, try laying it horizontal or vice versa. Make sure your vents aren't blocked, or just unplug the system for a while and let it cool down and make sure it's not in a cramped position where it could overheat easily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock