Galacta

>:)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
While it never exactly resonated with the more discerning end of the video game buying public, the average man on the street would still have put a fiver on Wii Music doing well in its first month of sale (the game was released in the US on October 20). After all, it's for the Wii, it's made by Nintendo and it's got "Wii" in the title. Not to mention the fact it was the beneficiary of a fairly hefty marketing push from Nintendo. So heads were no doubt being scratched at Nintendo HQ when the game wasn't among the top ten sellers for October. And scratched further when it wasn't among the top twenty.

Instead, the game sold either a disappointing 81,000 units (according to NPD) or an even more disappointing 65-66,000 (according to Nintendo's "internal numbers"). Let's be charitable, and give them the 81,000. That means the game was outsold by Dead Space, Rock Band 2, SOCOM, the venerable Mario Kart and, yes, Kirby Super Star Ultra. I didn't see Kirby Super Star Ultra shilled on morning talk shows.

Of course, Smile Machine Cammie Dunaway may have a point when she says, in the game's defence:

We’re predicting that it’s going to be an evergreen title. And if you look at titles like ‘Brain Age,’ it’s about the same as what ‘Brain Age’ did during it’s first few weeks and went on to sell 2.5 million copies. ‘Wii Fit’ certainly had a larger launch than that. But I think that people are starting to understand ‘Wii Music.
Then again, if November passes and the game puts up similar numbers, she may not have a point, and all you angry Wii Music-hating children of the internet can spend the day basking in your own sense of smug self-satisfaction.

Yep.
saddog.jpg

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It deserves to not do so well, but then the Brain games did about the same and look how well they sold over time.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you look at Wii Music and compare it to something like Rock Band, which one do you think every 12 year old that owns a Wii is going to buy?

Exactly.

To the kids it's "a music game" and if they had to pick "a music game", it sure as heck wouldn't be Wii Music.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
WiiMusic doesn't have the same appeal as Wii Fit (anything related to fitness will sell well in the US) or Wii Play (simple minigames to play with friends + extra wiimote), so it's expected that it won't sell as good as those. Also, it's something too different, you can see from the mixed reviews and opinions around that not something for everyone. And like hankchill said, most people will think it's something like Guitar Hero and will prefer to stick to the one they know better already.

Anyway, Nintendo games usually keep selling over the time, I would like to check those numbers one year from now.
tongue.gif

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I'm still saying they're going for the fisher-price and retired homes market this christmas.
If you look at it, it's pretty much guitar hero "safe for the whole family and none of that satanic rock and roll stuff" version.
The big answer will really come with xmas...

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded, burnt it to disc, played it for a bit, then promptly stuck the disc in the microwave.

Its far from fun. Though I admit a few parts warrented a small laugh.
Though even as those little muppet things might suggest you keep playing to unlock everything, its just not worth feeling stupid playing twinkle twinkle little star a hundred times.
Now if I was playing a real instrument that song wouldn't be as dumb as its a beginners song.
Though when you're basicly just waggling about to get the game to play the song for you, it's just extreme lame.
I think it would have been better if they waited for the motionplus first to make it more of an instrument simulator than a toy music player with pitch knobs and sound buttons.

If Nintendo really expected the game to be a big hit this far into the consoles life then they are aparently smoking something funny.
Maybe the first year of the consoles like. I think it woulda made a bigger impact then.
Now, everyone is looking for the real game stuff.
I don't think even the casual market could be content with basic casual crap forever.

Though the game is good for making your friends look stupid. If you into odd pranks and the like.

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hankchill said:
If you look at Wii Music and compare it to something like Rock Band, which one do you think every 12 year old that owns a Wii is going to buy?

Uhmm, wii music?
hankchill said:
Exactly.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(hankchill @ Nov 16 2008, 12:10 PM)
To the kids it's "a music game" and if they had to pick "a music game", it sure as heck wouldn't be Wii Music.
Gasp,
ohmy.gif
over here they would prolly choose wii music. Rock band is rather too expensive. Even, I couldnt afford one.
frown.gif

caffeinekid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's quite fun actually and our kids have had a real riot playing it and making crazy arrangements of the songs. It should have been a budget title though, definitely.

I don't think it's as bad as I imagined it would be, it has merit if you don't compare it to Guitar Hero - because it really is a different kind of software, and not a game really, it's a social music fun tool.

It does take practice to get things sounding perfect and it's very easy to mess songs up.

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pretty shocked by the numbers too. alot of sites keeps saying this going to sell crap loads of copies regardless of the quality because its from Nintendo. i had fun with this game....for five minutes =/

anyways i think it has legs like lots of Nintendo casual games .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...