Wii motionplus

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Wiipressuresense, Dec 17, 2010.

Dec 17, 2010

Wii motionplus by Wiipressuresense at 12:34 AM (1,677 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Wiipressuresense
    OP

Newcomer Wiipressuresense Newbie

United States
    Hello,

How could change the controls to a wii game and then play this game on the wii. Can this only be done with a Dev kit, or has anybody created a tool to extract these kinda files from the wii iso... or does it take reverse engineering.

I basically wanna hack the controls for some wii games and add motion plus:) and mess around

2. fattest

Member fattest GBAtemp Fan

United States
    if you go back a bit in this forum some people were complaining about the controls for dkcr and i believe wanted to remap the controller, but i don't know if anything came of that.

3. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    There was but adding motion plus is a lot more difficult then remapping buttons or movements sometimes.

4. Wiipressuresense
    OP

United States

You know how to do the more difficult, some motion plus code should be in most games around 2008?

5. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
  6. Wiipressuresense
    OP

United States
    And also using the code that dev leave in

Such as say they created a First person game... but they had also written code to play this game in a Third person view. Was just wondering how to do stuff like this on the Wii:)

Like say the new James Bond game I will not play this game because they released it as a First person game.. But I know they would have left code in the game to play it from a Third person view..

Just like lots of code is left in, but if your not a Dev or in the know, your not gonna know:)

I guessing maybe I need a dev kit to do this stuff tho?

7. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    I'm pretty sure the MotionPlus is partially, if not fully, based in the game's engine itself to incorporate support for it. Meaning that the game's engine was made so that it can be run on MotionPlus, and which is why games that do not support MotionPlus cannot have the support added. It'll likely take a modification of the actual game engine, instead of simply implementing a conversion of some sorts or adding a new control mapping thing.

8. Wiipressuresense
    OP

United States
    Yeah but the Devs would have been messing with motion plus for a very long time now, so at least some basic code should be in most games around 2008 I would of thought?

But yeah I wanna access the game engine and change it, anybody hacked released any tools or do I need a Dev kit:(

9. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Most devs wouldnt really bother messing with it (especially with the point of putting it in the game) if they see no advantage or feasibility of having support in the game engine for it.

I am a computer science major, so I know programming. From a programming perspective, it would be bad to have excess code for something that is not implemented at all. For example, if SMG2 had base code for WM+ support but didnt use it, that could be 30 megabyes of data that could have been trimmed from the game since it isnt used, not to mention hundreds of dollars wasted to implement something that isnt useable at ALL.

As for rewriting the game engine to support it... unless you have the knowledge of a whole dev team about the inner workings of the wii, hardware mapping, control schemes and programming with a non-official devkit, plus the ability to either reverse engineer the existing engine or write your own, which based off of your first 4 posts I can assume you do not, this is not something that can be done (at least not by any usual means). If anything, you would be better off writing your own knockoff game from scratch.

EDIT - to elaborate on the topic of having useless, excess code:

Scenario - Windows X, the next generation Windows OS, is released in 2012. Upon release, people examine all of the installed files. a file ps3dsk.sys is found, totaling to 42 Mb. This file has the base support for reading PS3 disks. However, since Microsoft does NOT have the licenses to market Windows X as a PS3 emulator, nor is it a game system at all (as it simply provides a backbone for games to be played on), the file ps3dsk.sys is a useless file with no function whatsoever. 3 months were spent on the development of this single file by a team of 5 people. So say MS wasted 12 grand on development of a 42 Mb file that does NOTHING except waste space and ultimately make the system slower. THAT is poor programming.

(Of course, that is a hypothetical situation)

10. Wiipressuresense
    OP

United States
    No but I have my FUTURESELF:)

11. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    adding wii motion plus to games that werent developed with it aint like dusting crops, boy...without precise calculations we could burn right through a gyroscope or bounce too close to an accelerometer, and thatd end your project real quick, wouldn't it?

12. Wiipressuresense
    OP

United States
    Hahahahha You remember that film with that Hacker called Zero... oooh Eddy Boon and Mortal Kombat

Old skool all the way baby Yeah:)

Look Mama I am dangerous I code Backwards haahaha

13. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

While I agree it's extremely unlikely that there are games containing WM+ support without the ability to use it, your point here is incorrect:

Wii games are linked against an SDK that handles all the low level functions. This includes things like NAND access, wiimotes, GC pads, USB devices, microphones... anything that a game could possibly make use of. It's feasible that code to handle WM+ could wind up in the final product even though the devs had no intention of using it, if for some reason it didn't get stripped out during linking. It certainly wouldn't be 30MB, the final size of most wii executables is less than 7MB with hardware libraries taking up a few hundred KB each. It wouldn't have cost the developers anything, since they didn't spend any time implementing it.

14. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    While it's true that devs could be playing around with WM+ support since 2008, they're not going to fuck around with it in the main game build. You don't just splice in new technologies to your main project for shits and giggles, you test that stuff on a branch or a side project.

15. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Yes, while the game is linked against the SDK, providing the base functions of the console and hardware support, it does not actually contain code to USE WM+. Now, I have not looked at the official SDK nor the third party one, but if the sdk contains a method, wmp.tilt(double, double, accepting 2 double parameters, x axis and y axis, it will read the movements of the WM+ and pass the relevant x and y axes to it. However, this would do nothing because it would just be a... crap, I forget the term right now, too tired (you declare a method header without implementing it.). You would have to define the method in the actual executable of the game for it to be of any use. In SMG2, which does not use WM+, if the devs were to define it for shits and giggles, it could rotate the camera. In CoD, though, if it were to be implemented for shits and giggles, it would control the reticle of the player. Two completely different games would use it in completely different ways, therefore the method would NEED to be written for each specific game.

Not to mention that just because it is available in the SDK doesnt mean it has to be included in the final build. In Java, if you were to compile a project that solely handles simple console output, you wouldnt need to include, nor would you include, the math libraries, randomizers, visuals, nor sound handling. You would compile the project with JUST the libraries needed for console output and any others that are needed to support it.

Keep in mind, as I said, I have not looked at the official SDK nor any third party ones. So I am speaking completely hypothetically here. But coming from the perspective of a Java program, this is how I would make sense of it.

EDIT - Also, I threw that 30Mb as a random number out there. And I re-read your post after writing mine, and it sounds like I was speaking through my ass half of the time. Like I said, I am tired XD

Regardless, if there is no intention for the game to have WM+ support, the libraries to use it should not be implemented at all, so it shouldnt have to be stripped at the end to begin with. That is part of the pre-programming phase, deciding what will and won't be included in a project.

16. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It's possible, but unlikely. Samba De Amigao could really use WM+ though.