Gaming Wii MotionPlus!

Will the MotionPlus be a huge success?

• YES! Finally the wiimote will act like those commercials!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO! This addition does not interest me.

• Maybe... I'll wait to see how game developers will adapt it.

• I like shaking my wiimote randomly for fun!

• I Sold my Wii! Too little too late Nintendo!

• Total voters

Sir_Shaggy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I pre-ordered 2 MotionPlus controllers today, just because I had some gift cards to burn. So I hope the controller will be a success outside of WiiSports Resort. WiiSports Resort is just a tech demo to me, and it'll probably sell well. Unfortunately the wiimote to this point has only been good for a mouse pointer (mario galaxy, metroid prime 3, house of the dead overkill just to name a few better titles). I'm excited that just maybe the games coming out within the next 6 months will support MotionPlus and finally we'll be playing like the promo commercials showing off the controller.

So far the tiger woods game and the 2 tennis games will be available on release date of the MotionPlus. Red steel 2 is said to support the MotionPlus as well. I'm hoping more developers support this add-on.

So what are your thoughts?

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
as long as we dont get a new kind of shitware with this, im cool

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sure, it´ll sell, but why wasn´t this incorporated with the original WiiMotes?

Can´t help but to believe the Big N already had this up their sleeves from the get go.

You know, to basically sell us one WiiMote twice. Just my take.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
callmebob said:
Sure, it´ll sell, but why wasn´t this incorporated with the original WiiMotes?

Can´t help but to believe the Big N already had this up their sleeves from the get go.

You know, to basically sell us one WiiMote twice. Just my take.

The technology was probably too expensive by 2006, the Wii was already a big gamble, Nintendo didn't knew it would be so successful, I think they thought that it would make the controls too expensive and the Wiimote alone was enough by that time.

This is no different from Sony saying that it wasn't possible to make the PS3 controller to have vibration, and releasing the Dual-Shock 3 some months later
tongue.gif

I'm excited about it.. all the previews say that it works very well.. hopefully, developers will know how to use it!

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@ the roach - Oh, they KNEW! They KNEW!!! (JK)

Anyway, just wondering. Any of these new games that support the motion+ probably won´t work with stand alone WiiMotes, or?

If so, I bet there will come the day that NO (new) games will work without the motion+.

So, if you want to get one of these new games, you will be forced to buy the motion+.

Good thing there is already a socket there to add this peripheral to the stand alone WiiMotes!!!!

It is still hard to swallow that we will have to pay the same price (?) again to add something that should/could´ve already been there to start with.

Easy to see why someone might come to the conclusion that this was well thought out over a longer period of time.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something tells me the Motion+ will be another big let down.
Besides sword handling in certain instances I think most devs will just use the motion plus for more waggle replacing button presses. Just adding more button presses within that waggle.
So instead of moves in a game barely working we'll get slightly smoother moves that barely work.

Honestly, I want a Classic controller plus.
A classic controller that does everything and works for everything on the Wii.
Give it tons of switches if you have to, I want it.

I may reserve a Motion Plus myself just to try it. Though dropping another 20/30 bucks for a second one is pure crap.
I'd be alot happier if Wii Sports:Resort came with two MotionPlus add-ons.
Then buy a pack of two for thirty bucks if you want four players.
Makes more sense that way considering each Motion+ probably costs them about three bucks each to make.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the developers so far have said that it works too well, but most say its easy to implement.

The only problem would be those developers who have a hard enough time having to implement the standard wiimote controls as well as wiimotion+. This is mainly due to publishers retstraints and money.

I think it'll work well and it would be a more worth while purchase then the Balance Board was. The price will put people off especially those who want mulitplayer.

Sir_Shaggy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dongdrian said:
I think it'll work well and it would be a more worth while purchase then the Balance Board was. The price will put people off especially those who want mulitplayer.

Good point. I hope it doesn't turn into another balance board; Where it's just an optional controller. I would love to see games focus on the MotionPlus out of the box.

On a side note, your multiplayer comment made me think of Mario Party. Imagine the next Mario Party with MotionPlus support only? The mini games will be a ton of fun, but good luck finding 4 MotionPlus controllers.

SublimeAndEtc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've seen it should cost $25.

It's a small expansion for the Wii Remote and it comes with a new remote jacket to accommodate the size. It's either 1.25 or 1.5 inches, I can't remember.
and yes the expansion slot passes through it so you can still hook up a nunchuk, classic controller etc.

I think it'll definitely be worth buying. Nintendo usually pulls through. This was simply too expensive to implement at launch.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a bit little too late.
I think it will make the controller a tad too big.
I will buy one, but sell the old controllers when wiimotes with it built in, hopefully, come out.

But a Star Wars Jedi fighting game online will sell 1,000,000 more Wiis.

J

Jackreyes

They should just offer Motion Plus controllers for like £15 when you trade in your original which they can then use for parts or something. Just so we don't feel so ripped off.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Jackreyes said:
They should just offer Motion Plus controllers for like £15 when you trade in your original which they can then use for parts or something. Just so we don't feel so ripped off.

It's not a new remote, it's an expansion that fits onto your current remote in the expansion port (where your nunchuck goes). There's another expansion port at the end so you can plug in your nunchuck. And on play.com it's around the same price as a nunchuck when bought on its own.

I'm reasonably happy with the responsiveness of the remote in most games as it is. The Godfather Blackhand Edition and Tiger Woods 2009 are the best two examples I can think of, particularly The Godfather - one of the best games available for the system, if you haven't got it already then buy it!
biggrin.gif
Future games will all have to work without MotionPlus and have MotionPlus compatible games switch from a normal remote and a MotionPlus enabled remote on the fly. I haven't had a chance to see the Nintendo Wii Lot Checks for a while but I can guarantee it'll say as much as a requirement for MotionPlus enabled games before Nintendo will pass a title for Standards.

J

Jackreyes

bytor said:
Jackreyes said:

It's not a new remote, it's an expansion that fits onto your current remote in the expansion port (where your nunchuck goes). There's another expansion port at the end so you can plug in your nunchuck. And on play.com it's around the same price as a nunchuck when bought on its own.

I'm reasonably happy with the responsiveness of the remote in most games as it is. The Godfather Blackhand Edition and Tiger Woods 2009 are the best two examples I can think of, particularly The Godfather - one of the best games available for the system, if you haven't got it already then buy it!
biggrin.gif
Future games will all have to work without MotionPlus and have MotionPlus compatible games switch from a normal remote and a MotionPlus enabled remote on the fly. I haven't had a chance to see the Nintendo Wii Lot Checks for a while but I can guarantee it'll say as much as a requirement for MotionPlus enabled games before Nintendo will pass a title for Standards.
I meant when they release a remote with it built in, assuming they do..

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't see any need for them to do that mate, they'll just continue to sell each item seperately imo.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Just trying to add something...
Nintendo was aware that the Wiimote wasn't accurate enought (i remember reading this somewhere), but as CockroachMan, the technology was too expensive for the launch date. Adding this degree of precision would make the Wiimotes to cost too much (i'm not saying they're cheap), so they decided to let the way it is nowadays.

I believe it will be a really cool add-on, and as callmebob, probably the future game will not work without it 9or, at the very least, will work poorly).

I'm just sad that my only wish about the Motion+ shall not be granted: backward compatibility. It would be awesome if it were able to make older games to respond better to the commands (man, Samba de Amigo would sell TONS!). But i remeber someone from Eletronic Arts mentioning that when he tryied the Motion+ with Boogie, the game got a lot more difficult, since it was now more accurate. My only doubt was: were my wish granted or they recompiled the game adding support to the Motion+?

Anyway, i bet it will allow developers to give more freedom of movement to gamers...

nightwalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i'll wait till dealextreme has the MotionPlus add-on!
they can probably get them for half the price Nintendo sells them at...since it's a small item, shipping cost wouldn't matter

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd say buying it was a no-brainer. Tiger Woods 2010 should be as close as you can get to playing the real thing without actually playing the real thing lol. And more importantly, you'll all have to buy it to play this beauty
biggrin.gif
I loved the first one, and going by the hands-on the sequel is going to be a corker
smile.gif

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nightwalker said:
they can probably get them for half the price Nintendo sells them at...since it's a small item, shipping cost wouldn't matter

Yeah and it will probably be about a month before the package finally arrives, if it isn't on backorder.

xvinh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nightwalker said:
Exactly my thought. And the waiting probably won't be that bad, since you need time to see how well it turns out to be anyway. A month waiting for it would be enough to see how well the launch games that supports M+ do. Somehow I doubt that DX will have Wii M+ before July. They need time to make copies of such thing. =)
QUOTE(bytor @ Jun 2 2009, 02:00 AM) I'd say buying it was a no-brainer. Tiger Woods 2010 should be as close as you can get to playing the real thing without actually playing the real thing lol. And more importantly, you'll all have to buy it to play this beauty
biggrin.gif
I loved the first one, and going by the hands-on the sequel is going to be a corker
smile.gif
I don't think the game will look that good. That's probably just some movie/cut scene in-game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up