Wii Mod

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jskyboo, Dec 31, 2010.

1. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    just my quick 2 cents,
    1st-I know for a fact that other wad managers (like MMM or yawmm) are able to install official IOS WADs. It only fails when the IOS has been modified and thus not officially signed by ninty. So I know u can add that to your wad manager if u wanted.

2nd-cboot2 is out of the question just from a legal standpoint, it requires v2 of boot2, which is ONLY found on some disc updates. Thus it cannot be downloaded from NUS and there is no way to legally share cboot2 or boot2v2 (each user must build their own cboot2 first by getting there hands on boot2 v2)

PS. sorry I haven't yet had time to test Wii Mod personally, its on my very long to do list [​IMG]

2. airline38

airline38 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    It's forzen and Wiimote lose connection.

Regarding the cBoot2, you can take a look at this : http://gbatemp.net/t156199-cboot2
    I have no idea for the "legal" issue which Xflak mentioned.

What I can confirm is cBoot2 can be used to softmod any FW of Wii (install cIOS)
    as long as BootMii/IOS and HBC are installed.

3. jskyboo
    OP

jskyboo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I looked cBoot2 up again and realized why I didn't remember it. It is a replacement boot2 so it can only be installed on a wii with a vulnerable boot1. And it is used to fix really messed up systems but since if you can install it you can install bootmii boot2 you might as well do a nand restore. You have to have a nand backup to even use it. Only useful to a small percentage of the total wii users and the only people its useful to can just restore their nand with bootmii. Correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

4. airline38

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    No, cBoot2 can be used to softmod any Wii as long as BootMii/IOS and HBC are installed.

There is no need to make a NAND backup ,either.

For example, I can use cboot2 to softmod a new 4.3J/E/K/U Wii after HBC and BootMii/IOS
    are ready. (no need to have BootMii/Boot2)

The way cBoot2 can work is because it has a special armboot.bin . This special
    armboot.bin will call another file "startup.elf" (put under SD:\) . Then the
    startup.elf will start the boot.dol (which is Wad Manager v1.4).

So when we start BootMii , it will use the special armboot.bin ->call startup.elf ->
    start boot.dol (wad manager) then we can install a cIOS (EX: cIOS250 ).

These are what I know.

5. jskyboo
    OP

jskyboo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Ahh well have you tried it with cboot2? If you already are set up to do it let me know how it works. So you load cboot2 from bootmii/ios? Which you load from priiloader? You could have loaded Wii Mod where you can softmod any Wii by installing IOS 58 and then reloading into AHBPROT mode.

6. airline38

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    Yes, I did tried cboot2. (load from BootMii/IOS) It worked as I said.

I understand there is no problem to use WiiMod to softmod any Wii with AHBPROT mode
    available. I highlighted TBR/cBoot2 because some users don't have
    WiFi available (can't start AHBPROT mode).

If Wiimod can do whatever TBR or cBoot2 or .... to install any cIOS
    when there is no AHBPROT mode available , that will be great !!
    (or Wiimod can force to enable AHBPROT mode when there is no network connection)

7. jskyboo
    OP

jskyboo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Well it seems I may just have to modify TBR a bit and it should work again.

8. burritoboy9984

burritoboy9984 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 24, 2009
    United States
    Actually, you can start AHBPROT mode with wifi disabled. I hacked up the IOS236 installer, making it automated, and maybe 1 out of 20 times it will freeze, but it will always freeze after it has successfully installed IOS236. What I would LOVE to see in Wii Mod is the ability to add an argument in wiimod.txt, which when specified and launched in ahbprot mode, automatically installs a patched ios236 (whether by installing a patched 236 directly, or applying the patches to 36 and installing it as 236), then automatically load another ios. I'm not sure if this would make the app not crash (reloading the ios), perhaps someone more knowledgeable could confirm (someone just needs to launch any AHBPROT enabled program, then try to reload to another ios, and see if it remains stable).

-Erik

-Erik

9. airline38

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    IOS236 installer ........... Well ,yes .... I recall I did some tests last Oct.

http://gwht.wikidot.com/forum/t-260462/ios236

But there was no updated since that time .

The IOS236 installer is easier to use than TBR or cBoot2. If it won't crash (DSI Code Dump)
    when there is no network connection ,it's a good idea to include this option into WiiMod
    as long as jskyboo has no other concern.

10. burritoboy9984

burritoboy9984 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 24, 2009
    United States
    As I said, I threw together a "hacked" up version, both of the stickied guides use it. You can also grab it here. You will need "IOS36-64-v3351.wad" in the root directory for it to work.

-Erik

11. jskyboo
    OP

jskyboo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Yes if you reload an IOS while in AHBPROT mode you will avoid the freeze(that's what my workaround is, I just let the user choose the IOS first). I never said anything about AHBPROT not working without a network, infact yes until the freeze up I believe it works as it should. That freeze up though is the problem, and from what I have read there is not much I can really do in code about it freezing. So until it is fixed for real, I can only give some alternative which I will eventually just have to remove again. I don't really see much reason to try burritoboy9984's plan and race the freeze up. If burritoboy9984 has already made a program to do exactly that, then im fine with letting it just handle this little task until the AHBPROT bug is really fixed, hopefully that isn't too far from now. It just seems like a quick fix type of job and im really trying to make Wii Mod a tool that doesn't concentrate so much on a problem that faces Wiis only now. If people really want it I could add it, but I am most concerned about the 1/20 chances. Also are there any problems that could arise if it freezes in the middle of that patch( I suspect no problems but without trying it myself I don't know)?

12. airline38

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    @jskyboo , I think you can make a test version to still have AHBPROT available with no netwrok connection. I can help you to test if it will be frozen during a wad file installing.
    I have an old Wii with BootMii/Boot2 so there is no risk for me to make any test.

On the other hand, you may consider to include the hacked version of IOS236 installer
    into WiiMod (it may be better than the TBR or cboot2) . I can help to test ,too.
    (under no network connection scenario)

13. airline38

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    @jskyboo, there is another bug found in v2.0.

When I use "Any Title Manager" to extract an installed channel to a wad file,
    the "trailer" file is missing in the wad file.

14. jskyboo
    OP

jskyboo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    The extract tool opens a title on your wii, and should pack everything it finds there into a wad. If you select delete instead of extract it will name off all the parts of the title. So when you do that on one of your titles does it display trailer and then not end up in the wad?? If so what is an example of one so I can replicate the situation on my on wii?

15. airline38

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    You can test any Wiiware/VC which is installed in your Wii. The result is the same. (trailer is missing)
    What I tested is "FFXJ" (Super Mario 25th Wiiware). I compared by using BlueDump and WiiMod 2.0.
    The wad file from Wiimod is usually smaller than BlueDump because of missing trailer.

16. jskyboo
    OP

jskyboo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I've checked some of my Wiiwares and I haven't seen this trailer. Is there another one you know that has one as I don't have that Super Mario 25th Wiiware.

17. airline38

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    I think you can test any Wiiware. Just extract it to a wad then see if u can install
    it back successfully.

On the other hand , I also found the "Region Changer" function doesn't work in v2.0
    (was no problem in v1.8). The problem is it seems it didn't SAVE the change (no matter
    I changed console area setting or language or game region setting).
    Once I leave the program , I see no change at all . (start the program again and see no change)

18. mauifrog

mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

Jan 21, 2010
    United States
    Any region function working for me, changed to KOR and back, no issue. Nice app, but the scroll speed is just a little to fast.

magicword did not work for priiloader 0.6
    So ios info not right under the ios manager, as far as the trucha bug and such

19. airline38

Mar 28, 2010
    Taiwan
    Which version did you use for the "region change" ? It was no problem for me with v1.8.

20. mauifrog

mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

Jan 21, 2010
    United States
    It says v2.0
    I did it again, actually, now it appears to only be changing the language, shop code, and elua. Area and region do not save. Tested with AHBPROT and cios236.