Wii Mini Confirmed

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Looks very strange... The rough finish plastic makes it look like something from the NES era.
Also: What to expect? A cost and size reduced Wii console. No GC support. Just a Wii. Doesn't even look like its got an SD card slot.
I'm pretty sure it has to have an SD slot to even function properly, unless they extended the internal memory... ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When using a Wii has the SD card been anything but an optional extra? I'm pretty sure mine works just fine without one plugged in.
Oh yeah, sure, but the System Menu still has the option to use one, so they'd have to edit that out, plus, a lot of people use it to store their Save Game data and game downloads - that's a System Menu option too. They'd have to revamp the System Menu, and SD slots are cheapo so there's really no point in not having one. I just think it may be concealed somewhere.

We'll see.

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's Canada exclusive

Wii Mini is available exclusively in Canada during the holiday season. No information is available about its potential availability in other territories in the future. Remember that Wii Mini features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit nintendo.com/wiimini.
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/ONIEEqvK1pbPyTbW2lWO6QnPUiqqvuuI

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Wii mini console does not connect to the Internet and does not support online features in games. Compatible with Wii software and accessories. Internet connectivity features are not available. The Wii mini console is not compatible with Nintendo GameCube Game Discs or accessories.

~Nintendo.com/WiiMini

It's gonna retail for $99, but... well... It's offline-only... sort of a buzz kill...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess I'm eating my words.

Huh. Well, nothing to do now but wait for Nintendo to show off their MicroWii to the world...

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
Wonder what they'll do to the System Menu. Without network support, almost everything on it is useless and therefore confusing:

001_sdcardupdategallery.jpg

If you count the Channels that work without an Internet connection and a SD slot (if it really doesn't have one), only the Disc and Mii channels are useful. Message board and SD Card Menu will be gone, too.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure it has to have an SD slot to even function properly, unless they extended the internal memory... ;)

Weellll the internal memory is perfectly fine for game saves alone AFAIR, and that's all that's going to be put on this little thing since it has no other (official) way to download any games onto it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Weellll the internal memory is perfectly fine for game saves alone AFAIR, and that's all that's going to be put on this little thing since it has no other (official) way to download any games onto it.
Yeah, I found out it has no Online support after I made that post. In the context of not having any downloading capabilities, the lack of an SD port is entirely justified. :P

Algot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have filled my internal memory with Save Game data Only! I have to delete or move to SD card.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it wasn't for the lack of internet, this could be pretty decent, especially considering channels such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer etc. make it a vaguely acceptable media box for people who don't have a "proper" online media box. For $99 a console with a huge library of games (with a few of them even good games) along with acceptable media capabilities doesn't seem too bad. But without internet, it's hard to see the point, really. It does seem to be a fair bit cheaper than "regular" Wiis in Canada though, so I guess if someone isn't planning on using the online functions it's not a bad deal.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean you don't? Everybody knows that this console is the best Wii-ngman ever.

So true, so true! Before I got married, I had plenty of women come over to my apartment "to play Wii". It's an ice breaker. Yes, not only should the Wii have the Heart Association logo on the box but they should make a specal edition Barney Stenson: Best Wingman Ever logo on the box.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)