Wii Mini Confirmed

D

Deleted-188346

I don't quite understand what is supposed to convince consumers that this is a worthwhile product.
Did anybody ever say that the Wii is too big?
Was anybody holding off on purchasing a Wii until the successor was out AND a mini Wii was released?

All I see is Nintendo releasing "something" and hoping to get a few sales due to...well, a new "something" being released.

ViDeOmAnCiNi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since searches on the Mini Wii site in their supposed "1300+" games do not seem to turn up DVD9 games such as Brawl and Metroid I am presuming that they may have wimped out on the DVD drive mechanism and it is capable of reading single layer DVD's only? If this is true that would royally SUCK.

Edit: Well WTF N, now the searches are turning up more results. Hit or miss. Damn N.. get real...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If it's cheaper to sell, it might be cheaper to produce... in which case they might intend to sell this instead of the normal Wii for users that still want the normal Wii for cheap.

It being smaller and more limited would be another reason to convince people to go for the Wii U instead (or after they get the Wii and find it fun, but limited).

I guess we'll have to wait for a teardown and such to see the approximate cost, and what exactly was removed/modified.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks tough enough for me to beat someone over the head with it, so it gets my seal of approval. Oh, and it's cheap and uses a top-loader, which are both pluses in my book. If it didn't come out so late, I might've considered it.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
While the system has no Internet connectivity options or Gamecube support, it features full functionality and compatibility with the Wii’s expansive library of over 1,300 games and its associated peripherals

associated peripherals = usb gizmos ????? hmmm

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no GameCube support, as was to be expected. The marketing mentions it plays over 1,300 Wii titles......not every Wii title. For that, you would need GameCube ports. Heck, I'm surprised there's room in there for a disc drive!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You have GOT to be kidding me! :blink:

What is this? Nintendo's way of saying "yeah, we can make the wii unhackable after all"? Did they hire too much modelists for the wiiU and they had too much time on their hands after finishing the design of the wiiU?

All things considered, at least this model has a fancy design over the former crippled wii. But still...who would buy this? Other than some uppity yuppies who lived under a rock for the last SIX years, I'd say "no one!". I've said it in another thread, and I'll say it again: this is a money sink. Pretty much nobody is going to buy this. Either they already have one, they want a wiiU instead or they'll go for a second hand one (which'll most likely be very cheap now everybody's pawning them to save up for a wiiU).

atlanx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It has no Internet and no Wireless lan - so only a cheap gaming device.
And ugly like the last NES Re-Incarnation.

300px-Consola_NES_2.jpg

TVNewsIsBiased

Developer
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
planet.gnome.org
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This kind of thing is so frustrating to me.

All I can think of is the parents and grandparents going to Best Buy to pickup a "New Wii" for little Johnny and finding this steaming pile of crap, thinking this is what little johnny wanted (When we all know damned well little Johnny meant the Wii U..)

This thing:
  1. Does not support GameCube games or accessories.
  2. Does not support online connectivity whatsoever.
  3. No USB ports (Rumour, having hard time confirming this..)
  4. Because of pnt. #2 & #3, by extension it will make HomeBrew irrelevant, wouldn't it?
At first I was excited about this, haha but then I joked with my wife "We should have known it was crap by the fact it's Canada-exclusive.." :\

I understand ripping out features to cut costs... However ripping out WiFi/Internet capabilities and then ripping out USB (which could be used to plug-in a USB network adapter, for example..) is crazytown at $99...

I don't know what the pawn shops in the U.S.A are like, but Canada's pawn shops are full of perfectly fine Wii's for $75 hehe...

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
This kind of thing is so frustrating to me.

All I can think of is the parents and grandparents going to Best Buy to pickup a "New Wii" for little Johnny and finding this steaming pile of crap, thinking this is what little johnny wanted (When we all know damned well little Johnny meant the Wii U..)

This. Exactly. The same thing happened with the 3DS. I was with my Uncle who was working at a Target at the time (Electronic Dept.) There were dozens of parents saying, "Can I get that new DS thing? My son/daughter/whatever wants the new one that just came out." Time after time, I watched as all the parents received DSi's. I can tell you right now, every parent and worker in there has NO IDEA. So many people are going to be at the stores, and will see that Wii under the "New" displays. They'll buy it, because they don't know better. Great move, Nintendo....

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
This. Exactly. The same thing happened with the 3DS. I was with my Uncle who was working at a Target at the time (Electronic Dept.) There were dozens of parents saying, "Can I get that new DS thing? My son/daughter/whatever wants the new one that just came out." Time after time, I watched as all the parents received DSi's. I can tell you right now, every parent and worker in there has NO IDEA. So many people are going to be at the stores, and will see that Wii under the "New" displays. They'll buy it, because they don't know better. Great move, Nintendo....
When the kid then sends his parents BACK to the store to get the REAL Wii U, that's one more console sale for Ninty ... even though the first might just get resold in the next family garage sale.

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah, sure, but the System Menu still has the option to use one, so they'd have to edit that out, plus, a lot of people use it to store their Save Game data and game downloads - that's a System Menu option too. They'd have to revamp the System Menu, and SD slots are cheapo so there's really no point in not having one. I just think it may be concealed somewhere.

We'll see.

Perhaps SD card slot is inside of disc lid? Somewhere in corner? SD card maybe is be push down to insert, though most likely not...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay