Hacking Wii Menu 4.2 Released

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
livelearnleave said:
Hey guys, at one point I read people asking what channels the new update deleted.

This is how my morning went:

Phone ringing (wake up, answer it) jump online to have my sister ask about ds downloads via Wii. Still on the phone, now chatting and trying to go to the Nintendo channel to see what she's talking about. Hmm, the channel says it needs to update before it can run. (I can hear the muffled laughter now) Being distracted, still half-asleep what did I do? You got it. I went "Yup, that seems like a really good idea. Sure, go ahead and update the channel." (anyone got a crayon sharpener? it seems I need one)

Then the Wii reboots. Slowly at the back of my consciousness something goes "uh oh" Main menu comes up. There is an empty white box in the middle of my screen of channels. Where has homebrew gone?? At this point my brain seems to shake itself awake and goes "Hey genius! You updated! Good job, becthya just totally screwed yourself. Made Nintendo's day though." Other wad installed channels were still there. My Aquarium. Pirates - the key of dreams. (a few that I can't remember offhand) NeoGamma R8 beta 1 channel. I threw in a backup copy of a game and clicked on the NeoGamma channel. Nothing. Went to a totally white screen and nothing else happened.

Then my brain decides it hasn't screwed with me enough yet today. It helpfully goes "Quick! Just reformat!" (Outright laughter now and many of you are going 'No, you idiot, NO!!!) But alas, my brain had snuck away again, laughing. The order of "Quick! Just reformat!" echoing in the empty space between my ears. My hand apparently didn't need my brain around and happily followed the echoing command. Click, click, click, wait, restart.

Now my brain came back, far too amused at itself. Reformatted to (you guessed it) 4.2 Lost all my personal settings, channels, saved games. Yes, I should really have known better. Yes, it's all my fault. I will wait patiently for someone to come up with a fix, and not badger anyone. Just thought that amidst all this chaos and confusion some folks might like something to laugh at. God - I need a drink right about now.

However, back to the original reason for this post - channels I had installed were still there. Obviously NeoGamma didn't work. I don't know if the others would have worked, but the icons and everything showed up for them. Homebrew was just a sad, lonely, blank spot. Don't know if this helps anyone or not.

So... Who whats to see if the DarkBrew Channel Wad works? Any takers?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SUCCESS!

As I expected, the system menu for v4.2 only checks for the "HAXX" title for the HBC. I just installed v4.2, then installed my modified "LOVE" channel....and it works fine
smile.gif

EDIT: Actually, it is not perfect. It'll load the HBC and load homebrew, but seems to have a problem getting back to the hbc on exiting the application you run. Probably because the apps are all trying to reload "HAXX" on exit.

mdp_1992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dialexio said:
mdp_1992 said:
Dialexio said:
mdp_1992 said:
I'm getting tired of this so should I just update my Wii and wait for an update from HackMii?
There is no need to update at all. It doesn't bring any new IOSes except for IOS70. If you need the Wii Shop Channel, use WiiSCU (it still uses IOS61).

What if I got a new game? How will I be able to play if I cannot update?
When a game asks for an update, it uses the update partition found on the disc, not Nintendo's servers. You will not see 4.2 appearing on games for a few months.

You could always run the game via Gecko the first time (to install the missing IOSes), and block updates via Preloader.

So I basically I need to install Preloader to stop the updates from the games and Run my games by Gecko...but what if I'm using USB LOADER GX (Sorry my brain is dead)

itsmeoreo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
SUCCESS!

As I expected, the system menu for v4.2 only checks for the "HAXX" title for the HBC. I just installed v4.2, then installed my modified "LOVE" channel....and it works fine
smile.gif

so how about the other homebrew stuff like bootmii, dvdx, etc...?

still functional?

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
Charmandersrule said:
Any news on if bannerbomb works? Either way most of us are cool people and we actually BOUGHT brawl so we can use the super-awesome-freaking-hard-for-ninty-to-patch-smash-atack. After we actually get something worthy to load/ reason to update.
Last I heard the Smash hack doesn't work with PAL copys yet.. >

mdp_1992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zektor said:
SUCCESS!

smile.gif

So...It's possible to reinstall HBC? and lol the hell is the "love" CHannel
tongue.gif

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
livelearnleave said:
Then the Wii reboots. Slowly at the back of my consciousness something goes "uh oh" Main menu comes up. There is an empty white box in the middle of my screen of channels. Where has homebrew gone?? At this point my brain seems to shake itself awake and goes "Hey genius! You updated! Good job, becthya just totally screwed yourself. Made Nintendo's day though." Other wad installed channels were still there. My Aquarium. Pirates - the key of dreams. (a few that I can't remember offhand) NeoGamma R8 beta 1 channel. I threw in a backup copy of a game and clicked on the NeoGamma channel. Nothing. Went to a totally white screen and nothing else happened.

I think your experience can safely tell us that, as usual, Nintendo has done the crude method of doing things.

If only the hombrew channel is gone, that should mean that simply changing where the homebrew channel installs should be all that's required to get it there without being deleted again.

Now, for the homebrew channel to install and work.... Well I'm guessing we'll need another IOS exploit.

But, this confirms, for me at least, that patching IOS70 with trucha and patching the system menu to disable to homebrew checks should be all that's needed to perform a homebrew safe update.

Ssseth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know if Preloader will keep us safe from this update? I mean can we roll back if need be as long as we have Preloader on the Wii since it comes up before the system menu even loads? My understanding is this was the whole point of installing Preloader int he first place. Not that I intend to update any time soon, just curious.

nando said:
Kevin578 said:
i wish this also permanently bricked all you pirates' wiis

even pirates buy a game or two plus those rip-offs nintendo calls peripherals. 1 pirate costumer > than NO costumer, nintendo doesn't want to brick wiis
I've heard some doozies in my day but that is the absolute worse excuse for piracy I have ever heard. Wow, just wow.

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zektor said:
Very strange.

I used DOP-IOS v8 to install IOS56, IOS57, and IOS70. IOS70 mainly in an attempt to get to v4.2 firmware and test a modified HBC wad. But, even after installing IOS70, I was still on v4.1U. Could it be that IOS70 restricts trucha signing? Anyway, I changed the HBC title and packed it into a wad. As you all know, the old title was "HAXX". I adjusted this title to now be "LOVE". Cause, you know, I got nothing but love for the big N!

If anyone has objection to this link, please let me know and I will remove it:

http://sharebee.com/7446ee3e

I bet you forgot to install the systemmenu.wad....

Oh, I just saw you last post.

I knew that "LOVE" can make it work
smile.gif

Thx for testing.

So you have all "old" ioses at place + installed the new ones?
I'm still not sure if dop- iose works properly on the new ios70

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
itsmeoreo said:
zektor said:
SUCCESS!

smile.gif

so how about the other homebrew stuff like bootmii, dvdx, etc...?

still functional?

I didn't have DVDX installed. I use Hermes IOS202, and that was functional. Loaders were functional (because I did not use the Nintendo update that stubs them), and homebrew loads fine but has issues escaping back to the HBC. Also, the Wii settings menu is fucked for some reason. Well, enough of my testing...I'm goin' back
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiShizzza said:
I knew that "LOVE" can make it work
smile.gif

Thx for testing.

So you have all "old" ioses at place + installed the new ones?
I'm still not sure if dop- iose works properly on the new ios70

Haha...yeah...v4.2 just needs a little LOVE I suppose
smile.gif
Yeah, I only installed and trucha'd IOS56, IOS57, and IOS70. I know the first two didn't need it, but I figured what the heck. But the wii settings menu being borked concerns me. Either way, there IS a way to get to v4.2 and keep homebrew...

JoePaLives

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry KiiNG, I'll be that damn noob in this situation...I was half-asleep this morning before work and blindly ok'd the update before realizing what I'd done. Is there any way for me to downgrade my Wii System Menu at this point (like back to 4.1 when HBC was fine) to re-install HBC? What's my best option at this point? Thanks in advance (and this is a crappy way for me to live and learn but...live and learn, I guess).

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hmmm.... seems like not a 100% workaround...
da*n I want my wii right here....
... but I guess if it's an exit issue, an overworked HBC is right around the corner....

marc_max

Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7SY8O82H

For those who are having problems updating their Shop Channels with WiiSCU.
I made a quick modification to tona's shop installer that installs the real Shop Channel v17. I tried it on my console and it worked perfectly
biggrin.gif

But this kind of applications can be very dangerous, so use it at your own risk.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is disappointing news, but I can't say I'm surprised. If New Super Mario Bros requires this update, I guess it's goodbye homebrew for me.

operator10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, surely you can just use Indiana PWNS to launch anytitledeleter, to delete IOS249, then use the Trucha Bug Restorer to downgrade IOS15 (works on boot2v4 wiis), then install a CIOS, and backup launcher through the CIOS.
Problem solved.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
operator10 said:
Hey, surely you can just use Indiana PWNS to launch anytitledeleter, to delete IOS249, then use the Trucha Bug Restorer to downgrade IOS15 (works on boot2v4 wiis), then install a CIOS, and backup launcher through the CIOS.
Problem solved.

possibly you won't have the es_identify bug needed by any title deleter... it won't work...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1