Hacking Wii Menu 4.2 Released

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If I download the latest version of IOS56 (v5405), IOS57 (v5661) and the new IOS70 (v6687), as well as The System Menu Wad which corresponds to my region (PAL for me, which is System Menu v482) from NUSD, and then install them via Wad Manager, etc., will the Homebrew Channel still be deleted?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Xiphiidae said:
If I download the latest version of IOS56 (v5405), IOS57 (v5661) and the new IOS70 (v6687), as well as The System Menu Wad which corresponds to my region (PAL for me, which is System Menu v482) from NUSD, and then install them via Wad Manager, etc., will the Homebrew Channel still be deleted?
No, but I don't thats a good idea anyway (it might brick the wii)

Why do you want those?

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just to check if I could update to 4.2 manually without any of the drawbacks of no Homebrew and the like.
Plus, boot2 wouldn't be modified, so if it doesn't work, I can just use RestoreMii to get back to 4.1E.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
Most Recent Update:

September 28, 2009

Wii Menu 4.2

Unauthorized Modifications
Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.2 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files. In addition, there are some behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance.

I'm wondering what do they mean by unauthorized channels ? Do they meen all fakesigned ones or only the homebrew channel ? Automatrically deleting fakesignec hannels in the system menu would have been a very strong move against WAD piracy ... any reports off deleted pirated channels ?

EDITED(misunderstood your post)
QUOTEIf I download the latest version of IOS56 (v5405), IOS57 (v5661) and the new IOS70 (v6687), as well as The System Menu Wad which corresponds to my region (PAL for me, which is System Menu v482) from NUSD, and then install them via Wad Manager, etc., will the Homebrew Channel still be deleted?

as long as you install the new system menu, it will check for the HBC and delete it so no, don't install any of these stuffs
btw, IOS70 alone is useless without the updated system menu so don't install it
The only things you could try to install is those updated IOS56/IOS57 but nobody know what improvement/fiwes has been made, I think they are only used by some specific games or official channels anyway

junak

Trophies
XP
Country
I am not too sure why you'd want to consider updating your System Menu to 4.2 considering it adds no benefit for the Wii. The ONLY thing it was released to do is attempt to wipe out homebrew.

No update, no problems. I am interested to read whether BootMii using boot2 can be restored for Wii consoles that have the boot1 exploit. If that is the case many people should be able to restore backed up NAND if required.

After reading through the entire thread thus far it definitely does not seem to spell an "end to homebrew" for the Wii.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
junak said:
I am not too sure why you'd want to consider updating your System Menu to 4.2 considering it adds no benefit for the Wii. The ONLY thing it was released to do is attempt to wipe out homebrew.

No update, no problems. I am interested to read whether BootMii using boot2 can be restored for Wii consoles that have the boot1 exploit. If that is the case many people should be able to restore backed up NAND if required.

After reading through the entire thread thus far it definitely does not seem to spell an "end to homebrew" for the Wii.
4.2 overwrites Bootmii with Boot2v4 I believe (Makes you wonder how they did that as Boot1 has to accept it)
It could be reverted (probably with the next bootmii update)

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
junak said:

Well, I wanted to just in case newer games required the new versions of IOS56 and IOS57, or if newer games required the actual updated System Menu (Like Sports Resort, which (apparently) needed 4.1 to run.)

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
slingshot27 said:
Maybe a dumb question. Will wii's with modchips like wiikey still work?

Not a silly question, I was thinking that too for a sec.
We updated a console here, and tried drivekey and wiikey2, and they both work perfect....so i think all wii mods will be fine if they both work.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Xiphiidae said:
Well, I wanted to just in case newer games required the new versions of IOS56 and IOS57, or if newer games required the actual updated System Menu (Like Sports Resort, which (apparently) needed 4.1 to run.)
Then run these with GeckoOs 1.9.2 and it will install the IOS for you (it extracts only the IOS from the disc)

And WSR does NOT need 4.1

donks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OzModChips said:
not sure if its been mentioned in the 21 pages
but wii modchips will work, including drivekey

I just got my Wiikey 2 last week and installed it. Had no problems with the backups until the Wii update.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
tj_cool said:

Wiibrew seems to say "Fixes the bug in Wii Sports Resort with the video of introduction.", and I interpreted 'bug' as something that prevents the game from being played. And I couldn't confirm this as I bought WSR after the 4.1 update.

slingshot27

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OzModChips said:
slingshot27 said:
Maybe a dumb question. Will wii's with modchips like wiikey still work?

Not a silly question, I was thinking that too for a sec.
We updated a console here, and tried drivekey and wiikey2, and they both work perfect....so i think all wii mods will be fine if they both work.

Can all games be played when having a modchip without installing any cIOS?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Xiphiidae said:
junak said:

For those who would like to update to 4.2 anyway, here would be the "ideal" roadmap, I believe:

1/ wait for the updated HackMii Installer (compatible with this new version of Boot2)
2/ update Boot2 from NUS or wad (this will obviously delete BootMii)
3/ re-install BootMii with the new installer
4/ update HBC with the new installer (it "should" be now 4.2-proof)
5/ install IOS70 and update IOS54/56 from NUS or wads (everything except cIOS-used slots)
6/ update system menu to 4.2 from NUS or wad

Everything above is hypothetical off course, in the case they manage to analyse system menu 4.2 and find a solution against HBC being deleted, but that's the way I would do it and keep my current Wii "features" while having my sytem menu up-to-date

Now, this depends on the way they are checking for the HBC in order to delete it: if they only are looking for channel names like they did for the TP hack, it should be pretty easy. However, if they are actually checking each channel signature on startup and deleting fakesigned ones, this is going to be more tricky (if not impossible to solve). That's why I 'm wondering if there are any reports of self-deleting pirated VC/WiiWare ?

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This is the beginning of an excellent day!(sarcasm)
Well,I would like also to know what happens with the fakesigned channels.I assume that they are not recognized anymore and they won't load,but is there any danger to brick Wiis?
In another matter,I would like to tell to the people hoping that this 4.2 system menu will NOT be forced to become realistic.Of course it WILL in every possible way.Does anyone trully expects that the soon to be released games such as Wii Fit Plus,NSMBWii or even CoD MW will not force a disk update?
I hear that if we don't update we cannot even play online in SSBB and we cannot connect to Nintendo Channels such as Wii Shop.
This is trully a deadly blow from Nintendo to homebrew users and the homebrew scene will need a true renaissance in order to find new ways.I am not pessimistic.I BELIEVE that someone will find a way eventually to restore HBC and GeckOS and USB Loaders,but realistically this will take a lot of time.The reason is that everything accomplished in the last 2 years in the HB scene must been remade from scratch.New exploits must be found and new IOSes must be created.
This will take a lot of time and meanwhile our Wii's functionality will remain limited.
I hope that a genius homebrew programmer will find a way SOON...

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xiphiidae said:
tj_cool said:

Wiibrew seems to say "Fixes the bug in Wii Sports Resort with the video of introduction.", and I interpreted 'bug' as something that prevents the game from being played. And I couldn't confirm this as I bought WSR after the 4.1 update.

It was a bug that if you played WiiWare or VC before playing WSR on that boot you got the WM+ introduction movie, even if you had watched it before.

I might backup my current NAND, restore my original, update and forget about homebrew. It was a nice experiment, don't really use it though.

laurozza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Xiphiidae said:
tj_cool said:

It don't prevents the game from being played. Simply, when you load a channel from the SD menù, you have to rewatch the Wii Motion + video when play WSR.

EDIT: legendofphil beat me XD

dottor_male

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As before, this update will not touch in any way the modchip users...
Right now my Wii is operating WAY beyond his initial capabilities thank to homebrews...
Nintendo should take action against modchips, not homebrews (but it's far more simplefor them hitting the homebrew scene).

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dottor_male said:
As before, this update will not touch in any way the modchip users...
Right now my Wii is operating WAY beyond his initial capabilities thank to homebrews...
Nintendo should take action against modchips, not homebrews (but it's far more simplefor them hitting the homebrew scene).
Nintendo should've been smarter at the beginning
Giving it full DVD support or removing it completely

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay