Hardware Wii-Key Problems...

Killakae

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its a long story but plz try and bare with me...

I sent my Wii off to be modded, it was returned to me about a week later and everything worked fine, after a couple of days though it stopped recognizing back-up discs but it continued to play all my original games, so i phoned up the man who installed my Wii-Key and he said he's never heard of anything like that before because if there was a problem with the Wii-Key my Wii wouldnt recognize original discs either.

Anyway he said he'd replace the chip so i sent my Wii off to him again but when he received it he said it was working fine but as a precaution he removed the chip and re-attached it anyway. I thought that would be the end of my troubles right there but when my Wii arrived back to me it still wasnt recognizing back-ups.

At that point i felt i was being conned so in a rage i phoned up the repair man with some harsh words but he insisted my Wii WAS working when he tested it, he was so confident that he agreed to come to my house and take a look at it there, anyway to cut a long story short when he came to my house and tested it, it was working perfectly.

Obviously that made me feel like an asshole and since then my Wii was problem-free... However on Friday night it started playing up again, now everytime i put in a backup game theres a 50/50 chance it will recognize it, if it does it'll usually work until i change game or turn the console off and if it doesn't i just have to turn to console off and try again in an hour or so.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how it can be fixed... its almost (almost) ruining my life :'(

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I've had the same problems until I figured out which media worked well.

I live in a tiny town where my choices are limited to Memorex, TDK, and Maxell, without ordering online or going to another town to buy DVDs. And after trial and error, I've found that Memorex works nearly all the time, TDK works most of the time (but not as well as Memorex), and Maxell just plain sucks.
This is the case for me anyway.

Also burn speed can affect it. Some people get different results with different speed. I've found that 6x works best with my media.

Killakae

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I buy a number of different brands and burn they at different speeds (depending on the brand) at its either they all work or none of them do...

what do you suggest i do, only buy memorex from now on?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Yes. I've had the same problems until I figured out which media worked well.

I live in a tiny town where my choices are limited to Memorex, TDK, and Maxell, without ordering online or going to another town to buy DVDs. And after trial and error, I've found that Memorex works nearly all the time, TDK works most of the time (but not as well as Memorex), and Maxell just plain sucks.
This is the case for me anyway.

Also burn speed can affect it. Some people get different results with different speed. I've found that 6x works best with my media.

not in my case, i've used maxell media for over 200 of my backups on the ps2 and all my Wii games are on maxell discs and all boot without no disc errors at all.

they must be selling you fake junk maxell media as the ones i buy are made in japan rioch dye. DO NOT buy memorex it's a grade ZZZZZZ--- media and will not last in the long run, if you don't believe me then believe this website, it explains it here!

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

to find the disc ID of the media you are using, all you need to do is to put the dvd into your dvd drive slot and open img burn and it will tell you straight away what the actual disc id is (not the brand that's on the packaging) nero also does this but it's buried deep in the settings somewhere.

Killakae

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I borrowed my cousins Wii and ALL my games work in his Wii but none of them work in mines... surely this must mean its a problem with the chip itself

kaito1000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wii does the same.
Could be dry joint and the heat does something to it or it's just dodgy media.
Or maybe a glitch with somthing coming from the chip.
I've seen it not recognise a backup, then i play wii games and then try the backup again and it's fine.. so i dunno.
The backups work after a while, hey free games so i can't complain with a little hassle.
Lots of people have the problem and no one can pinpoint the exact cause.

Killakae

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I dont think its an overheating or media issue cos once it boots the game it'll run it for hours and hours. The problem only occurs when i turn off the console or eject the game.

I've searched through soooo many sites and the only solution seems to be "turn off your console for a few hours" which isnt a solution at all... i'd rather it works all the time or it doesnt work period.

I'm gonna call the repair man 2mo and demand he changes the chip entirely

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFQ_g8OoQM&list=RD8FFQ_g8OoQM&start_radio=1