Hacking Wii KEm series replace drive with wiikey 2 will work

Deeptrap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I want to know if somebody hav experience to replace the drive from a new series KEM without GC support ?
I cant find it, and want to know if its possible and if it will work

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ooops.... thought the OP wanted restore GC compatibility.

Yes, a pre-2010 replacement drive (DMS/D2A/D2B/D2C/D2E) would work with Wiikey 2. However, these days it makes much more sense to softmod and go with USB loading. Now I basically use discs just for GC games with audio streaming (with YAOSM).

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to know if somebody hav experience to replace the drive from a new series KEM without GC support ?
yes you can replace the drive, if just to play burned back ups. you will also need to replace the dvd drive board.

Deeptrap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes you can replace the drive, if just to play burned back ups. you will also need to replace the dvd drive board.

Thank you both

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Didn't newer DVD Drives had a different (smaller) ribbon connector? Thus making them incompatible

Not that I'm aware of.

However, the ribbon cable which goes to the laser pickup is different on D4 drives (small PCB). AFAIK, the new GC-less Wiis use a variation of the D4 which has the Gamecube disc reading components removed. An older drive should work.

New (no-GC) D4 drive on the left (not sure why the image won't display, but the link works):

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg856/scaled.php?server=856&filename=dsc01105h.jpg&res=medium

Older D2x drive (note the angled ribbon cable from the laser):

Wii_D2B_Driver_01.jpg

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So, the motherboard ribbon connector remains the same, while the lens flex cable is different on newest models(D-4)?? because d3-2 are the same

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1