Gaming Wii Issue

Manticore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a black Wii the model # is RVL-001(USA) the serial # is LU204626273

I have grey Aokin AV cable cord ending with the white,yellow and red ports, the model # for it is RVL-009

I have a Console power AC adapter cord with the model # RVL-002 and it also has i think this is the serial # D7RKX31

My Tv is a Samsung model # is LN32C450E1D the serial # i ZO5D34UZ503110L

I just purchased this RCA to HDMI Converter, Composite to HDMI Adapter Support 1080P PAL/NTSC Compatible with N64, PS one, PS2, PS3, STB, Xbox, VHS, VCR, Blue-Ray DVD Players

I connected the yellow with yellow the red with red the white with white, then i plugged in the usb power cord, and then plugged in the HMDI cord once i turned on my Wii and set my tv source to HDMI 2 I could hear the sounds from the wii but i could not see the picture all i saw was a blue screen with 2 words that were "No Single" I attempted this with another different samsung tv I have and once again it only gave me the audio from the white plugged into white and the red plugged into red, but the yellow plugged into yellow for video didnt display the wii home menu

Can someone please help me? Someone from Nintendo customer service line said i should get the Wii U instead also suggested i should maybe replace the Aokin AV cable cord with a different one off Amazon or Ebay

Can someone who is familar with the issue im having please help me?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You have to set your Wii's resolution to EDTV/HDTV 480p.

Try hooking your Console via Component cables on a compatible TV and set your console to HDTV.

Then try to hook your Wii to your Samsung Monitor to see if the issue has been solved.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
First you should be sure the AV cable is good, could you try it on the TV itself, or another one that may have those inputs?

If the Wii is not connected with component cables (and set to 480p), it automatically goes into 480i when booted, so it is weird no picture is shown. What is the converter? Model and such I mean. If it can accept PS2 and Xbox, it should be compatible with 480i.

If we were talking about a PAL, I could see the reason being having the system set in 50Hz (which is 576i resolution) and it is not widely supported (mostly because it's awful and should be avoided to use), but being an NTSC system, it can only be 480i or 480p.

In all honesty, AV cables are probably the worst way to connect a Wii, but that's besides your question. Grabbing some third party ones should be pretty cheap, so if you want to be sure pick some up.

Manticore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the AV to HDMI converter i bought. I connected the color outlets with the same colors they go with of the red,white,yellow ports i have on my AV Cable cord that i also uploaded as an image for you to see, I plugged the wii power cord into the wall outlet and plugged the other end to the wii, i then plugged the AV cable cord into the wii and plugged the other end of the three colored ports of white, red, yellow, into the AV to HDMI converter i got on amazon, when the white and red ports were plugged into the white and red on the converter the right and left audio was active and i could hear the wii menu, but when i put the yellow port into the yellow one of the converter no video, just a blue screen with the words "no signal"

Attachments

• AV to HDMI converter.jpg
    AV to HDMI converter.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 61vhm4WqEQL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    61vhm4WqEQL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 202

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is not the first time I read about issues with Samsung brand TV screens. I read a lot about them not liking resolution changes that many emulated games use.

Have you tried:
1. The Wii on another screen (non Samsung)?
2. Using another video signal cable RCA and/or Composite?

Manticore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a specific composite or RCA you would recommend of brand?

And sadly no we only have Samsung TVs

But i have Computer monitors could that work with a AV to HDMI converter? or Wii to HDMI connector?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You have to set your Wii's resolution to EDTV/HDTV 480p.

Try hooking your Console via Component cables on a compatible TV and set your console to HDTV.

Then try to hook your Wii to your Samsung Monitor to see if the issue has been solved.

How do i set my samsung tv to that resolution of EDTV/HDTV 480p. ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

First you should be sure the AV cable is good, could you try it on the TV itself, or another one that may have those inputs?

If the Wii is not connected with component cables (and set to 480p), it automatically goes into 480i when booted, so it is weird no picture is shown. What is the converter? Model and such I mean. If it can accept PS2 and Xbox, it should be compatible with 480i.

If we were talking about a PAL, I could see the reason being having the system set in 50Hz (which is 576i resolution) and it is not widely supported (mostly because it's awful and should be avoided to use), but being an NTSC system, it can only be 480i or 480p.

In all honesty, AV cables are probably the worst way to connect a Wii, but that's besides your question. Grabbing some third party ones should be pretty cheap, so if you want to be sure pick some up.

If AV cables are the worst then whats a better way?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is not the first time I read about issues with Samsung brand TV screens. I read a lot about them not liking resolution changes that many emulated games use.

Have you tried:
1. The Wii on another screen (non Samsung)?
2. Using another video signal cable RCA and/or Composite?
It's more because people don't know how to hook the Wii to the monitor
Just two days ago I bought a Wii2HDMI from Mercado Libre (me costó $123 con envío gratis :yay:) and now I can play on 42" 4K TV with a clear and great picture.

I too own a 18.5" SAMSUNG Monitor and I can play just fine with an AV2VGA converter, just that the picture isn't as sharp because Analog to Digital conversion.

But I too have a HDMI2VGA converter and I hooked my Wii to the Wii2HDMI and that to my HDMI2VGA and the VGA to my SAMSUNG monitor and I played just fine (without sound because both converters has audio jacks and regardless of which jack I use, sound has interference).
It's not that SAMSUNG refuces the Wii, I'd blame the Signal convertors.

@Manticore
Don't use Composite unless you own a CRT.
Don't use Component on HDTV's.
Get a WII2HDMI and use your Wii with an HDMI cable on any monitor or Tv with HDMI input.

But i have Computer monitors could that work with a AV to HDMI converter? or Wii to HDMI connector
Yes but you'll have to use headphones in order to hear your games or hook a 3.5 audio cable to any external speaker/woofer/stereo.

How do i set my samsung tv to that resolution of EDTV/HDTV 480p.
Once you have your Wii hooked with Component or HDMI cables, go to your Wii settings and change the resolution in there. It's not a setting you have to change on Monitors or TVs.

Last edited by JuanMena,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
[...]
Just two days ago I bought a Wii2HDMI from Mercado Libre (me costó $123 con envío gratis :yay:) and now I can play on 42" 4K TV with a clear and great picture.[...]

Mind to PM the ML link please?

I haven't tried using a Wii2HDMI converter yet, I've got an original composite video cable, and video image looks great, would like to compare them both.

Last edited by CMDreamer,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

And sadly no we only have Samsung TVs

But i have Computer monitors could that work with a AV to HDMI converter? or Wii to HDMI connector?

How do i set my samsung tv to that resolution of EDTV/HDTV 480p. ?

If AV cables are the worst then whats a better way?

For RCA it doesn't matter because the end result is the lowest picture quality you will get.

If a PC monitor will work with a Wii + AV-VGA connector is a bit of a gamble, I have seen people saying it did not work for them.

Setting the Wii to 480p needs a component cable (those with 5 connectors), as Progressive Scan signal can not be carried by AV cables or RGB cables. I did not mention them because you wanted to use your AV2HDMI converter, but they are the best choice normally.

If you only need a way to hook your Wii to the TV and you do not have component cables or component input in your tv, you could buy the mentioned above Wii2HDMI. It is basically a hackjob that takes component picture from the Wii and converts it to digital with an hdmi out.

Their quality varies a lot, but if you're lucky you could end up with one that has similar picture quality as a component cable.

The best way to connect a Wii would be a component cable combined with a double liner like the OSSC or a device of that type, but that's far more expensive and only recommended for those that take their retro gaming quite seriously.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
But I too have a HDMI2VGA converter and I hooked my Wii to the Wii2HDMI and that to my HDMI2VGA and the VGA to my SAMSUNG monitor and I played just fine (without sound because both converters has audio jacks and regardless of which jack I use, sound has interference).
I too have a Wii2HDMI, no problem with audio interference. I even hard mod it with an audio attenuator because it is too loud for my TV's default audio volume and I am too lazy to change the volume everytime I play with the Wii. Still no interference. I would blame your environment or setup.

Don't use Composite unless you own a CRT.
Don't use Component on HDTV's.
Get a WII2HDMI and use your Wii with an HDMI cable on any monitor or Tv with HDMI input.
Component is the best native signal you can get from a Wii. If your TV accepts component input, DO use it.
WII2HDMI converts the component signal from the Wii and you can imagine any conversion (especially with cheap adapters) involves conversion losses. If your TV does not accept component input or for the sake of cabling convenience is another matter.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I too have a Wii2HDMI, no problem with audio interference
I'm aware.
I just got curious to see if I could use the Wii2HDMI + HDMI2VGA together.
Yeah, picture looks nice but audio suffers a bit. It's got a "PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" sound all the time.

Component is the best native signal you can get from a Wii. If your TV accepts component input, DO use it.
A year ago I bought Component cables, generic ones, and they didn't worked on the 4K tv.
They didn't worked on SONY Trinitron KV29 neither.

Component of course will be the best cables you can use on Wii because Analog signals, but it's hard to fing proper/compatible cables.

If I'm not mistaken, old Wii's has hardware trouble with Component signal.
And even then, CRT's with Component inputs relies a lot on hardware for it's proper function.
One bad cap on the CRT might render Component signal useless.

In my case, my Wii is from 2008 and the TV was 2005.
Finding what was causing bad Component signal on CRT wasn't worth the time, it could've be the tv, the console or bad cables. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
If I'm not mistaken, old Wii's has hardware trouble with Component signal.
And even then, CRT's with Component inputs relies a lot on hardware for it's proper function.
One bad cap on the CRT might render Component signal useless.

In my case, my Wii is from 2008 and the TV was 2005.
Finding what was causing bad Component signal on CRT wasn't worth the time, it could've be the tv, the console or bad cables. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
my Wii is from 2008 with the D2C drive chipped to read DVD-R. And I have a generic component cable, no problem at all.
In fact, I ditched my Wii2HDMI and re-use the component cable after using the Wii2HDMI for a few months.
You seems to have really bad luck with hardwares.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
my Wii is from 2008 with the D2C drive chipped to read DVD-R. And I have a generic component cable, no problem at all.
In fact, I ditched my Wii2HDMI and re-use the component cable after using the Wii2HDMI for a few months.
You seems to have really bad luck with hardwares.
:glare:
You're right, I opened 3 Nintendo DS for clean up, all of them died.

foomonger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We use the regular Wii component cable with an NEC HD display and the picture is beautiful. Previously we used a Wii-to-HDMI converter but found it was susceptible to interference from other nearby devices, producing faint diagonal lines on the screen. I wouldn't bother with composite.

I should add, this is a first generation Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed