Hacking Wii Help - sub forum ? ? ?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I know the mods must have talked about this but I thought that members that give a sh!t should post in this thread, and often.

Should there be a different forum for asking for help, AND should the rules be that it is the only place to ask for help?

There are good and bad sides to this idea I will just put the most obvious for now.

BAD
Main problem is less will view that help forum, so it may be harder to get help, not "may" it might actually help.
More work for site staff. Staff woul need to add the new forum, put up a description and maybe add a sticky giving guidlines as to how to get help EG: proper named topics, give details etc etc.
Also staff would need to work out a system that locked/trashed resolved issues, a little more work for them.

GOOD
Less clutter, and people looking for help wouldn't need to read through other sections about hacking, or homebrew etc.
Better organisation onsite to allow things like writing guides, or making FaQ's easier. Also people newer to all these things would learn quicker by reading the "resolved" posts, maybe actually saving the need for them to post, which couldsave time.... who knows.

Now imho, I'm for it and would love to see a Wii help section.
I would be willing to browse through it once each time I visit the site and if I could give help and had time, then what is it to copy and paste from one place to another
tongue.gif

I have only posted this now after thinking about it for a long, long time as I see some of the Wii sections getting so busy that important information is being burried at a really sad ratio. There have been many great posts in the last week that are so far down now, many people are not aware they have been posted, will look through a page or two and then post about things again, and again.

If you support the idea of having a new forum for Wii Help post in here and offer support.

If this post doesn't make change it is yet another bit of clutter, but really what is one more.

To the site staff, before you move this to the "relevant section" think about it, this IS the relevant section for now as this section is well, full of clutter.

Nuke85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think this should happen..Just because no one would really go to that "help" forum anyways. If people now hate too look at threads like that then why would they even bother to go into the help section?
sleep.gif

just my 2 cents.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I completely agree would make it much cleaner in here but I'm sure there would still be posts like "OMG WTF IT DON'T WORKZ"
exactly....it's ridiculous, that's the 10 year olds that only see FREE GAMES and think fuck searching/reading ill just ask and hope i get an answer, i don't care its not in the correct section...fuck it*
that's what it comes down to now.......all the cheap backup boys questioning constantly...

Skarface05

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm with Nuke - People don't like looking at those threads now and if we move them eslewhere, people will be even less likely to look and help them -
tongue.gif

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My opinion is the threads asking for help where the poster has obviously not read anything himself, searched for help, or gave anyone a reason to believe they've tried to get the info themselves should be locked then deleted.

I know it won't happen ... but for every good post here that actually has to do with Wii Hacking, there are about 10 by some noob that can't even use search.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mcj said:
My opinion is the threads asking for help where the poster has obviously not read anything himself, searched for help, or gave anyone a reason to believe they've tried to get the info themselves should be locked then deleted.

I know it won't happen ... but for every good post here that actually has to do with Wii Hacking, there are about 10 by some noob that can't even use search.

This would mean more work for the staff on site, so I don't think we will see this happen quickly enough as it would mean they were on constant standby/refresh mode.
tongue.gif

I do see the other side of the coin and think many would avoid the help section that could have helped.

We need to understand there are some things we can never change too.

If there was a section clearly marked as "post ONLY here for help" and had it in big bold writing we still can't promise everyone will read it.

I understand why some people post in such haste without searching or reading first, they are scared. They didn't read enough before trying something and now feel lost. Or they are young and new to internet forums, who knows.
Point is we can't change someones "reaction".

If you are someone that searches, well sometimes that causes problems too.

Certain searches bring up old, or wrong information with conflicting posts and answers.
You can read for hours on things and not find a definitive answer, even though the answer is widely known.

I think this all breaks down to a simple reason, quantity has overtaken quality.

Someone mentioned about a game not working thread before and when looking I found many for the same one game, reading each they all pointed to different answers to resolve the same problem.
Having these threads together would means less of them because they would still be in view more often for those that don't search.

I never included a poll in this thread because it would be better to not count opinions, but read them and learn instead.

If you found this thread looking for help for something, search first if no post exists name the post in a way people can know if they can help before following the link
EG:
HELP - Wii GameName wont boot using ## launcher/chip.

or HELP - Wii AppName is doing

When you start your post, take time to include what the problem is, what triggered it, and how someone can re-create the problem etc etc. Information is good.

Those who are just reading this and often provide help, post what would make it easier for you to help people too, opinions shared here may help at least a little get more organised with the "clutter"
tongue.gif

20clarky08

Official Wii Freak
Trophies
Website
20clarky08.googlepages.com
XP
Country
i personally think its a good idea man...

it could also serve as a troubleshooting forum like on many other forums, i.e with *SOLVED* been added to the subject header of uncommon/common problems when a solution has been found.

also i think it would be a good idea to not allow people into the proper Wii Hacking forum until they have read the stickys and the Help Section as suggestion by another forum member the other day..

and on the note of no one helping....i dont think thats true, just look at the amount of help given on this site already by people.

20clarky08

Jacol Beyros

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think this is a great idea, and i would go through it rather often probably, gleaning from and helping where i can. however, we need some sort of filtering system to keep help posts there and not in the hacking forum.

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i never had to see another topic of DO I NEED MODCHIP id pee myself. If i knew they were all in one place id probably block that part of the site. Nice idea its a great thought, but noobs lurk everywhere. stickies help a little bit, but i think even if the guide was titled disc read error the noobs wouldnt search

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That would have been me clarky, and i've expanded on the idea.... In order to post in the hacking forum we require that new members take a test that asks common questions that have the answers in stickies or the wiki.. any score below 80% means no posting for you. Then we would know that all new members at least have read the answer to 80% of the common problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr