Hacking Wii/GC VC Injects Black Screening

Skarekrow73

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Okay so, after following the standard wiiu.guide instructions I have CBHC up and running on a completely fresh 8GB White Wii U, a 32GB SanDisk SDHC card and a 500GB WD portable 2.5" drive. I've tried creating WUPs and installing them to USB with both Wii U USB Helper and TeconMoon's WiiVC Injector, both PAL and NTSC versions of Metroid Prime (just for testing), as well as Mario Party 8 (PAL) installed using both WUP installer GX2 and the Mod Y version.

On both games all I get is the Wii logo and the Wii U disk drive does it's thing, then a black screen for a solid minute or two before the disk drive makes more noise and it reboots.

Every other app I install that I've downloaded via USB Helper works, just not these injected games. I haven't touched vWii but nowhere seems to say this is necessary. Do I have to hack vWii for Wii and GameCube injects to work? Surely I do? I don't want to unnecessarily mess with stock software if I don't have to.

Can anyone think of anything else that could be wrong? Could it be my USB hard drive? Maybe I'm missing something...

Extensive Googling has given me nothing solid to go on troubleshooting wise.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so, after following the standard wiiu.guide instructions I have CBHC up and running on a completely fresh 8GB White Wii U, a 32GB SanDisk SDHC card and a 500GB WD portable 2.5" drive. I've tried creating WUPs and installing them to USB with both Wii U USB Helper and TeconMoon's WiiVC Injector, both PAL and NTSC versions of Metroid Prime (just for testing), as well as Mario Party 8 (PAL) installed using both WUP installer GX2 and the Mod Y version.

On both games all I get is the Wii logo and the Wii U disk drive does it's thing, then a black screen for a solid minute or two before the disk drive makes more noise and it reboots.

Every other app I install that I've downloaded via USB Helper works, just not these injected games. I haven't touched vWii but nowhere seems to say this is necessary. Do I have to hack vWii for Wii and GameCube injects to work? Surely I do? I don't want to unnecessarily mess with stock software if I don't have to.

Can anyone think of anything else that could be wrong? Could it be my USB hard drive? Maybe I'm missing something...

Extensive Googling has given me nothing solid to go on troubleshooting wise.

No you don’t need to hack vwii. For GameCube u need nintendont.
Put config on root of sd
When I had first started I grabbed the nintendont from Wii usbhelper and installed to my nand. Idk if that is needed, as in if the injector patches nintendont into it but I had downloaded the two on Wii usbhelper anyhow because at the time I wasn’t sure and since gc injects worked I just left them installed And later created config with tecmoons app and put on sd root
As for Wii injects. Do any of the official Nintendo made ones work?

Last edited by Tri-Z,

Skarekrow73

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I figured it out.

Nowhere in any guide or thread I read does anyone rule out the need for vWii modding, so thanks for clearing that up.

Also not found anywhere on the internet is evidence of black screens being caused by a portable hard drive without enough power. Sure, the power issue is mentioned all over, but my drive was working for everything but Wii VC and GC VC games.

This is because when they boot, the hard drive loses power or is disconnected and spins up again. If you have a portable drive that runs off one USB port there is a chance many Wii U and VC games will work, though some may display a "not enough power" message suggesting using a Y cable, etc.

So to confirm, Wii VC and GC VC injected games or legit games black screening can potentially be caused by a hard drive powered via one port, even if it works for other uses.

I'm now using an external desktop drive that has its own power supply and everything works flawlessly.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who runs into the same problem as the intricacies of the hard drive power issue are not explored much. I had other drives that wouldn't work at all, but this one would work fine for some reason, until these particular VC injects were used. Of course it gave no message or error and rebooted to the menu as though all was fine (and the drive was still there) so it took trying an entire other drive to figure out.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured it out.

Nowhere in any guide or thread I read does anyone rule out the need for vWii modding, so thanks for clearing that up.

Also not found anywhere on the internet is evidence of black screens being caused by a portable hard drive without enough power. Sure, the power issue is mentioned all over, but my drive was working for everything but Wii VC and GC VC games.

This is because when they boot, the hard drive loses power or is disconnected and spins up again. If you have a portable drive that runs off one USB port there is a chance many Wii U and VC games will work, though some may display a "not enough power" message suggesting using a Y cable, etc.

So to confirm, Wii VC and GC VC injected games or legit games black screening can potentially be caused by a hard drive powered via one port, even if it works for other uses.

I'm now using an external desktop drive that has its own power supply and everything works flawlessly.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who runs into the same problem as the intricacies of the hard drive power issue are not explored much. I had other drives that wouldn't work at all, but this one would work fine for some reason, until these particular VC injects were used. Of course it gave no message or error and rebooted to the menu as though all was fine (and the drive was still there) so it took trying an entire other drive to figure out.

That’s odd that it worked for ur Wii U games with no Y cable. I think I saw in multi usb drive thread someone saying they unplugged one of wires when o Wii U playing Wii U games and they worked. Usually u will hear ur drive making a clicking sound if underpowered. Or drive might not have been initializing after the softboot to vwii

There’s a hardrive sleep mode option that u can turn it on or off
Go into disc management and at the copy/delete data and format screen press and hold down, minus, and plus for several seconds until option pops up
Idk if that may help ur drive or not b4 u changed it around

Skarekrow73

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah, really weird.

I had other drives that would click running off one port and wouldn't spin up. This one worked fine, but yeah, you're probably right, the softboot to Wii mode was killing it.

I had no idea about that setting, I wonder if it would have made a difference. I assume the softboot forces the drive to spin down though, probably that setting only affects Wii U mode.

Using a different drive now and don't want to mess with anything but if anyone needs an answer to this question I'd be happy to try it, just want to avoid touching my current working setup right now unless I have to.

Thanks for your input Tri-Z.

badmanhk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hi Skarekrow73,
Nice to know you sorted out you Wii inject problem!
I am encountering very similar problem, except that my Wii U stay in dark screen forever rather than reboot and I am using 1TG external HS with separate power supply......
It will be great if you can share your experience and throw me any suggestions to fix it!

I am using 5.5.2j
Thanks a lot!
Alan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now +1