Gaming Wii Games of the Month: September 2010

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not particularly exciting, that happens in October and November.

You can read the DS version of this thread right here

Some rules and stuff.
- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Duke Nukem Forever was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaqs, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Developed by: WayForward Technologies
Published by: Warner Bros. Interactive
Release date: September 7th (America), September 24th (Europe)
Genre: Action Platformer
My Hype Level: Haven't looked much into the Wii version but do want.
GBAtemp Hype Level: Probably not as interested unless you're Hadrian

Batman-Brave-and-the-Bold_US_rated_WIIboxart_160w.jpg

Same write-up as the DS thread, my comments feel about the same.

I was never into comics or even superhero cartoons as a kid, but nowadays I've been more interested in superheroes in general. And Batman: The Brave and the Bold (based off the recent cartoon) looks to be just that: a classic superhero video game, retro in all its glory. Being only a Wii/DS game means it should have plenty of effort into it (I hope), and I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions

Developed by: Griptonite Games
Published by: Activision
Release date: September 7th (America), September 10th (Europe), September 29th (Australia)
Genre: Action Platformer
My Hype Level: I'd probably just go for the Xbox version if I wanted
GBAtemp Hype Level: Wii version usually gets the short end

Spider-Man-Shattered-Dimensions_ESRB_US_Wiiboxart_160w.jpg

Now, when taking a Wii version of a multiconsole release, there's a few things you can do. You can dumb down the graphics, add a lot of motion controls, and hope it works. These versions usually are pretty meh but aren't terrible (see The Force Unleashed). You can take the game and build it from the ground up, making it unique and actually pretty good. These are usually the best in most cases (see Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands), but other times they can suck (see Transformers: Cybertron Adventures). Or you can just take the game and fuck it up completely (see tons of games I'm too lazy to dig up). I don't know which one they're going with here, so I'll be skeptical.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Developed by: Vicarious Visions/Neversoft Entertainment
Published by: Activision
Release date: September 28th (America), September 29th (Australia)
Genre: Music
My Hype Level: This looks like shit
GBAtemp Hype Level: It's Guitar Hero, it can't hurt

Guitar-Hero-GENERIC_Wii_BOX-tempboxart_160w.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, this looks awful. The tracklist seems to be the worst I've seen, the presentation is just awful (basically Brutal Legend skin but without funny stuff, Jack Black, and it tries to take itself seriously), and the series has just felt to be running on empty by producing six main games plus countless spinoffs. I'm just not interested at all. Well, it also doesn't help that I don't have a band kit or guitar controller. I'd wait for Rock Band 3, regardless.

NHL Slapshot

Developed by: EA Canada
Published by: Electronic Arts
Release date: September 7th (America)
Genre: Sports
My Hype Level: Trying to make a sports game literal, no thanks
GBAtemp Hype Level: Same

nhl_slapshot_wii_e_stickboxart_160w.jpg

Ever wonder how many things you can break while playing your Wii? You thought you already smashed enough TVs, priceless vases, and friends while playing Wii Sports. Now what if you were swinging around a hockey stick like that? Well, here ya go, NHL Slapshot! Yeah, this looks stupid. People don't play NHL to feel like they're playing hockey, they might as well play real hockey if they wanted to, they do because it's a fun type of strategy game, if you think about it. Positioning players, doing the right moves, etc. Last time we saw a sports game try to be an actual sport simulator was Tony Hawk Ride, and that obviously went so good. Well, it sold surprisingly well but the game got shit reviews.

Samurai Warriors 3

Developed by: Omega Force
Published by: Nintendo
Release date: September 27th (America),
Genre: Hack and slash
My Hype Level: Finally, in English! And playable!
GBAtemp Hype Level: Meh, I don't like Samurai Warriors

Samurai-Warriors-3_nWii_BOX-tempboxart_160w.jpg

Dynasty Warriors is one of my odd video game fetishes. It has absolutely no depth, terrible voice acting, no narrative, and is some of the most mindless gaming you'll find. But for some reason I can plop myself in a chair and hack away horde after horde of baddies for hours on end. Having played the Japanese version of Samurai Warriors 3 I can safely say it does just that and works pretty nicely too. Unfortunately, the PAL versions are pretty much unplayable on NTSC settings, so I've had to wait around for this to get a dose of it in English.

A Shadow's Tale

Developed by: Hudson Soft
Published by: Hudson Soft
Release date: September 8th (Europe)
Genre: Action/Puzzle Platformer
My Hype Level: I have the Japanese English version
GBAtemp Hype Level: Hey, it got a write-up!

list_in_shadow_wii1boxart_160w.jpg

Since y'all bitched and moaned about this not getting a write-up last month, I've decided to give you one. And it's "A Shadow's Tale" in Europe, not "Lost in Shadows". Deal with it.

I played a bit of the Japanese version and it's definitely pretty good. Combat is a bit clunky and that's probably my only complaint. The visual style and looking at the world as a shadow is very cool. Plus some of the shadow manipulation you get to becomes neat. Odds are not many of you will bother with this version since the Japanese one was packed with tons of languages, but if you're interested in one with slightly more English, here it is.

Other titles

- Metroid: Other M: 9/2 (Japan, Australia), 9/3 (Europe)
- Tetris Party Deluxe: 9/3 (Europe)
- Cabela's North American Adventures: 9/14 (America)
- Swords: 9/14 (America)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Duel Transer: 9/14 (America)
- FIFA Soccer '11: 9/30 (Australia)

Overall Summary

It's not bad, but it's nothing too exceptional. It'll keep you satisfied until next month, and then if you start complaining next month, then you're just retarded.

BOOOOM NEXT MONTH. NBA Jam and Kirby's Epic Yarn are headlining. Plus there's also the forgotten favorite Rock of the Dead, a localization of Wii Party, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (in English!), DJ Hero 2, Rock Band 3, The Force Unleashed II, Sid Meier's Pirates!, and the list goes on and on. It's gonna be a huge Wii month next month, and November may even be bigger.

Have a nice September!

D

Deleted_171835

Horrible month.
Not a single game I'm interested in except for Lost in Shadow.
I wonder what Lost in Shadow's NA release date is.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That upcoming Spiderman: Shattered Demensions is hyped, hope it's good on wii. What about Flip's Twisted World ? The biggest and most egregious omission from this list is of course a brand new Bonk game. WHAT were you thinking, sir ?

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'll enjoy this month... NHL Slapshot (to compare with NHL 2K11 once dumped), Cabela's North American Hunting (i like the 'simulation' hunting games more then the arcade slaughter-fest) & FIFA 11.

But my Xbox 360 will be busy too with F1 2010, Dead Rising 2 & Greg Hastings Paintball 2 (which could also be added to the Wii release list, but I want Xbox 360 version for Xbox Live online play).

Jugo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope that this Spiderman game is good. Maybe I'll get Metroid and Lost in Shadow if its not.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lost in Shadow looks really great, even though I already have the jap. version, which even is in german
tongue.gif

Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions looks great from what I`ve seen of the other versions so far. I still have to see which version I`ll play but that I`ll play it is already decided! Nice game!

Batman looks like a great game to play with a friend co-op.

But overall I´m sure I`m going to be pretty busy with a particular game that`s coming out late this month so all of these will have to wait
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions looks great from what I`ve seen of the other versions so far. I still have to see which version I`ll play but that I`ll play it is already decided! Nice game!

Only thing about Shattered Dimensions is that the dev (Beenox) doesn't exactly have an impressive library. This is all their developed games:

Macintosh
Cars
Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer
Myst V: End of Ages
Pillars of Garendall
Star Wars Battlefront
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Wakeboarding Unleashed Featuring Shaun Murray

PC
Bee Movie Game
Cars
Evil Dead Regeneration
Fantastic 4
Guitar Hero Smash Hits
Kung Fu Panda
Madagascar
Monsters vs. Aliens
Pillars of Garendall
Pitfall: The Lost Expedition
Quantum of Solace
Spider-Man 3
Spider-Man: Friend or Foe
The VATZ
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
X-Men: The Official Game

PlayStation 2
Bee Movie Game
Guitar Hero Smash Hits
Monsters vs. Aliens

PlayStation 3
Guitar Hero Smash Hits
Monsters vs. Aliens
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

Wii
Guitar Hero Smash Hits
Monsters vs. Aliens
Quantum of Solace

Xbox 360
Bee Movie Game
Guitar Hero Smash Hits
Monsters vs. Aliens

That being said some devs can surprise you and I've seen worse lists of developed games.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Only 2 titles can attract my attention a bit, hopefully I like that Samurai Warriors game.
Only a few games for Wii that are announced that I really want, PES 2011 being the main one
yaywii.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha ha I wrote up a NDS & Wii one but abandoned it out of boredom.
wink.gif

Batman: Do want but the DS version looks better!

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimension, usually none GH Activision games on the Wii end up shitty, but this time its the EXACT same game but they're giving it a different look to it and some of the versions of Spider-Man like "Amazing" actually looks better on the wii! Could be one of those good suprises. Sure its by Beenox but crap developers can make good games.

GH: Warriors of Rock: Looks like they're going down a different route but I'm not that keen on the tracklisting this time and I've sold my guitar anyway due to only Beatles: Rock Band being the only game that lasts longer than a week.

A Shadow's Tale, loved the Japanese release and its one for fans of old-school Prince of Persia, Another World etc.

You forgot Flip's Twisted World which looks like another Wii game that will be pretty good but forgotten about.

yuyuyup said:
The biggest and most egregious omission from this list is of course a brand new Bonk game. WHAT were you thinking, sir ?
I really hate the way the new game looks!

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Although the Batman game doesn't really catch my attention, it's certainly got potential. WayForward's a pretty good developer, too.

I definitely agree that Guitar Hero is getting pretty much too stale. It's sort of stuck in a rut. And that art style is ridiculous. Rock Band 3, please.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gaydrian said:
You forgot Flip's Twisted World which looks like another Wii game that will be pretty good but forgotten about.
That game really shouldn`t be overlooked.

I played through the KORE Gang a few days ago and even though the game was rather unpolished in some things, the level design was inconsistent and that the game felt very "last-gen"-y (due to the genre I guess
tongue.gif
) it was fun and I think Flips is going to be mediocre for many people, who just don`t play these kind of games anymore, but I know I will love it! I would love to see it edited into the list, because it would deserve it
wink.gif

bow.gif
to the 3D plattformer!

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Only really looking forward to Spider-Man and Samurai Warriors.

Was looking at Slapshot, but we have NHL 2K11 coming out in.. 3 days so I'll stick with that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since